* [ECOS] Compiling eCOS with IAR
@ 2006-05-11 11:37 Emmanuel Viollet
From: Emmanuel Viollet @ 2006-05-11 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi.

This may seem a stupid question, but is it possible to compile eCOS
using the IAR compiler? From what I gather, IAR is much more efficient
in terms of code space that GCC...

In advance, thanks.

--
Emmanuel Viollet
Software engineer

* Re: [ECOS] Compiling eCOS with IAR
@ 2006-05-11 16:28 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-05-11 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emmanuel Viollet; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:32:53PM +0200, Emmanuel Viollet wrote:
> Hi.
>
> This may seem a stupid question, but is it possible to compile eCOS
> using the IAR compiler? From what I gather, IAR is much more efficient
> in terms of code space that GCC...

It is unlikely IAR will work. eCos uses quite a few gcc extensions.

If you need to make your application smaller i found that -Os has a
big effect compared to -O2 which is the normal eCos default. Also gcc
has been steadily getting better at producing smaller code. So try
using gcc 4.1. If RAM is a problem try tuning your stacks. For some
applications the default stack size is bigger than what is actually
needed. There is code to monitor stack using you can turn on.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Compiling eCOS with IAR
@ 2006-05-12  7:12   ` Emmanuel Viollet
From: Emmanuel Viollet @ 2006-05-12  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn a écrit :
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:32:53PM +0200, Emmanuel Viollet wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> This may seem a stupid question, but is it possible to compile eCOS
>> using the IAR compiler? From what I gather, IAR is much more efficient
>> in terms of code space that GCC...
>>

> It is unlikely IAR will work. eCos uses quite a few gcc extensions.
>
> If you need to make your application smaller i found that -Os has a
> big effect compared to -O2 which is the normal eCos default. Also gcc
> has been steadily getting better at producing smaller code. So try
> using gcc 4.1. If RAM is a problem try tuning your stacks. For some
> applications the default stack size is bigger than what is actually
> needed. There is code to monitor stack using you can turn on.

I already tried compiling using -Os and I end up with lwIP taking up
approx. 64Kb, zlib approx 27Kb, plus the kernel and my code, and all
this is larger than the 128Kb of my EEPROM.
I also tried compiling using THUMB instructions, but GCC crashes while
trying to compile eCOS in this mode.

I think this is going to end up by being forced to use IAR and a *very*
small footprint RTOS like FreeRTOS. It's a pity, because I was beginning
to like eCOS. I found it very complete.

Thanks for your help.

--
Emmanuel Viollet
Software engineer
Webdyn
e-mail : Emmanuel.Viollet@webdyn.com
Tel    : +33 (0)1 39 04 29 55

* [ECOS] Re: Compiling eCOS with IAR
@ 2006-05-12 14:51     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2006-05-12 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

In gmane.os.ecos.general, you wrote:

> I already tried compiling using -Os and I end up with lwIP
> taking up approx. 64Kb, zlib approx 27Kb, plus the kernel and
> my code, and all this is larger than the 128Kb of my EEPROM. I
> also tried compiling using THUMB instructions, but GCC crashes
> while trying to compile eCOS in this mode.
>
> I think this is going to end up by being forced to use IAR and
> a *very* small footprint RTOS like FreeRTOS.

Is IAR codesize really that much smaller?

If it were me, I'd probably try Gnu and a smaller footprint OS
first (uC/OS, FreeRTOS, XMK, etc.), but that's just be cause I
don't do Windows.

> It's a pity, because I was beginning to like eCOS. I found it
> very complete.

Unfortunately, complete takes memory.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! Are we laid
                                  at               back yet?