* [ECOS] USB with eCos?
@ 2006-06-01  0:31 Sarah A Bailey
From: Sarah A Bailey @ 2006-06-01  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Greetings,
I'm currently working on a project with Portland State Aerospace
Society[1] that involves using eCos on an LPC2148 board.  I've used
Pawel Wodnicki's patch[2] to port eCos and a simple "hello blinky
world" program to the board.

Eventually, we'd like to use the LPC2148 in a USB application.  I've
been reading the current documentation on writing a USB device driver
with eCos, and I have a couple questions:

First, is it still true that there's only been one USB device driver
written with eCos?  (I know documentation doesn't always keep up with
the code base.)  Is the lack of USB drivers due to flaws in eCos, a
steep learning curve, no need for USB drivers, or something else?

Where is that USB device driver located in the repository?

Has anyone added isocronous transfer support to the eCos USB base?
The documentation seemed to imply this was something that would be
added soon.  I'm willing to work on this, but I wanted to check first
and see if someone else was.

Whew, that was a lot of questions. :)  Thanks in advance for any answers.

Sarah Bailey

[1] http://psas.pdx.edu
[2] http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-patches/2005-11/msg00014.html

* Re: [ECOS] USB with eCos?
@ 2006-06-01  6:45 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-06-01  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sarah A Bailey; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:31:23PM -0700, Sarah A Bailey wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm currently working on a project with Portland State Aerospace
> Society[1] that involves using eCos on an LPC2148 board.  I've used
> Pawel Wodnicki's patch[2] to port eCos and a simple "hello blinky
> world" program to the board.
>
> Eventually, we'd like to use the LPC2148 in a USB application.  I've
> been reading the current documentation on writing a USB device driver
> with eCos, and I have a couple questions:
>
> First, is it still true that there's only been one USB device driver
> written with eCos?

No, this is wrong. For many years there has been two in
anoncvs. Recently one for the AT91 was added. There is also a driver
for the DS12 soon to be added soon and i know of two other drivers
which have been written and might get added. There has been a recent
boom in USB!

> (I know documentation doesn't always keep up with
> the code base.)  Is the lack of USB drivers due to flaws in eCos, a
> steep learning curve, no need for USB drivers, or something else?

I think it has been lack of need. However USB itself can be hard to
get right, so don't underestimate the learning curve, time, tools,
silicom bugs etc.

> Where is that USB device driver located in the repository?

packages/devs/usb

> Has anyone added isocronous transfer support to the eCos USB base?

No, no one has contrubted support for this.

> The documentation seemed to imply this was something that would be
> added soon.  I'm willing to work on this, but I wanted to check first
> and see if someone else was.

Contributions would be welcome.

> Whew, that was a lot of questions. :)  Thanks in advance for any answers.

No problems.

   Andrew