* [ECOS] redboot with console baudrate 115200
@ 2006-05-05 11:58 Dirk Eibach
From: Dirk Eibach @ 2006-05-05 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

I'm trying to get redboot running with a console baudrate of 115200 on
an Atmel EB40A board.

First everything looks fine:
I can read the output from redboot after power-up, enter commands and
these things.

The problem is that file downloads via xmodem don't work with the higher
baudrate.

Any suggestions ?

Best regards

Matthias

* Re: [ECOS] redboot with console baudrate 115200
@ 2006-05-05 12:25 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-05-05 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Eibach; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:55:02PM +0200, Dirk Eibach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get redboot running with a console baudrate of 115200 on
> an Atmel EB40A board.
>
> First everything looks fine:
> I can read the output from redboot after power-up, enter commands and
> these things.
>
> The problem is that file downloads via xmodem don't work with the higher
> baudrate.
>
> Any suggestions ?

Probably you are overflowing the receive buffer and so causing CRC
errors. Try a slower speed.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] redboot with console baudrate 115200
@ 2006-06-07  8:55   ` Jürgen Lambrecht
From: Jürgen Lambrecht @ 2006-06-07  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Eibach; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss, vez

Hello,

on my custom board based on eb55 (also AT91M55800), I have the same
problem: Redboot works fine with all baudrates, but ymodem or xmodem not.
The highest speed I can use is 19200 baud.
Also Vince Z. has the same problem. Like him, I now also use TFTP instead.

The strange thing is that on the eb55 demoboard, 38400 downloads are no
problem.

Kind regards,
Juergen

--
Jürgen Lambrecht
Diksmuidse Heerweg 338

* Re: [ECOS] redboot with console baudrate 115200
@ 2006-06-07  9:00     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-06-07  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J?rgen Lambrecht; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:55:09AM +0200, J?rgen Lambrecht wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on my custom board based on eb55 (also AT91M55800), I have the same
> problem: Redboot works fine with all baudrates, but ymodem or xmodem not.
> The highest speed I can use is 19200 baud.
> Also Vince Z. has the same problem. Like him, I now also use TFTP instead.
>
> The strange thing is that on the eb55 demoboard, 38400 downloads are no
> problem.

How accurate is your boad rate generator? I think the older AT91 cores
had a limited baud rate generator which could not always generate the
exact baud rate needed. It could be the error is too big for higher
boad rates.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] redboot with console baudrate 115200
@ 2006-06-07 13:43     ` GONZALEZ Laurent
From: GONZALEZ Laurent @ 2006-06-07 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:55:09 +0200
Jürgen Lambrecht <Jurgen.Lambrecht@tiscali.be> wrote:

> The strange thing is that on the eb55 demoboard, 38400 downloads are no
> problem.

Do both boards use the same quartz ? Is internal PLL programmed in a similar way ? Are the timing/width of SRAM or flash access identical ?

It may look strange, but at 38400, the one-char buffer time-frame does not meet the critical path of xmodem routine, and sometime char is lost. Remind that this path increases a lot if you try to download an elf (compared to raw).

A few years ago there has been discussion here about a buffered serial driver (in kernel configurations, using interrupts), but I am not sure that the hal-serial used by redboot has been enhanced in the same way.

best regards.

--
GONZALEZ Laurent
TRANGO Systems - ELSYS Design Group