* [ECOS] USB Host Stack advice
@ 2006-09-14 17:49 David Roethig
From: David Roethig @ 2006-09-14 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

For a new project, we need a USB HOST stack
for eCos. Ideally, it would also have On-The-Go
capability.

Does anyone have any advice/experience with USB Host stacks?

Would porting the FreeBSD stack be possible in a
reasonable amount of time?

We haven't decided on a processor, any advice may/could
help in our decision.

Thanks
Dave

* Re: [ECOS] USB Host Stack advice
@ 2006-09-14 18:01 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-09-14 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Roethig; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:49:01AM -0700, David Roethig wrote:

> For a new project, we need a USB HOST stack
> for eCos. Ideally, it would also have On-The-Go
> capability.
>
> Does anyone have any advice/experience with USB Host stacks?

eCosCentric have a closed source, pay money, solution using the Jungo
stack.

> Would porting the FreeBSD stack be possible in a reasonable amount
> of time?

Im not sure that would be the right solution for an embedded system. I
think it will be too general, assume a filesystem where USB device
drivers live as loadable kernel modules etc. For a deaply embedded
system this does not make too much sense. You will decide at compile
time which USB devices you are going to support and compile them into
the application.

There has been some talk of a native, open source host support, but
nobody actually did any implementation work :-(

 Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] USB Host Stack advice
@ 2006-09-14 22:16   ` Daniel Morris
From: Daniel Morris @ 2006-09-14 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Roethig, ecos-discuss

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 08:01:26PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:49:01AM -0700, David Roethig wrote:
> >
> > For a new project, we need a USB HOST stack
> > for eCos. Ideally, it would also have On-The-Go
> > capability.
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice/experience with USB Host stacks?
>
> eCosCentric have a closed source, pay money, solution using the Jungo
> stack.

Not sure of the official definition of closed source ;-) but FAOD the
Jungo stack comes in source form with a licence to distribute binaries,
once the money has been paid.

> > Would porting the FreeBSD stack be possible in a reasonable amount
> > of time?
>
> Im not sure that would be the right solution for an embedded system. I
> think it will be too general, assume a filesystem where USB device
> drivers live as loadable kernel modules etc. For a deaply embedded
> system this does not make too much sense. You will decide at compile
> time which USB devices you are going to support and compile them into
> the application.
>
> There has been some talk of a native, open source host support, but
> nobody actually did any implementation work :-(

Class drivers also have to be developed, validated & maintained along
with the Host stack, which based on our experience developing the Slave
stack (and looking at the effort to bring it up to USB 2.0) adds to
the task.

 Daniel

%<----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Daniel Morris - Sales & Marketing Director
  eCosCentric - The eCos and RedBoot experts
  Tel: +44 1223 245 571 - info@eCosCentric.com
  DDI: +44 1269 591 171 - danielm@eCosCentric.com

* Re: [ECOS] USB Host Stack advice
@ 2007-04-25 11:22 Hans Petter Selasky
From: Hans Petter Selasky @ 2007-04-25 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

The module design of the FreeBSD USB stack is not a big problem for embedded
devices. A module just means a static structure in a certain data-section
which is searched when you plug USB devices.

I have emulated all of this in my new USB stack, on NetBSD, which does not
support modules like on FreeBSD. Please see:

http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd

Please check out the SVN version.

--HPS