* [ECOS] Making eCos Configuration Tool on FreeBSD 6.1
@ 2006-09-24  5:51 Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2006-09-24  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

So I'm trying to build the eCos configuration tool on my FreeBSD 6.1
system and I'm running into some interesting issues.  It seems like the
entire tcl/Tk detection system is either ancient, broken, or not written
to take into account how FreeBSD stores stuff.

Is it worth my time to change configure.in to support FreeBSD?  Or are
there other similar issues littered through the code?  Please tell me I
am not tilting at windmills expecting this to work.  Thanks!

Jack.

* Re: [ECOS] Making eCos Configuration Tool on FreeBSD 6.1
@ 2006-09-24  5:59 ` Hans Hübner
From: Hans Hübner @ 2006-09-24  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Twilley; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Jack,

On 9/24/06, Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org> wrote:
> So I'm trying to build the eCos configuration tool on my FreeBSD 6.1
> system and I'm running into some interesting issues.  It seems like the
> entire tcl/Tk detection system is either ancient, broken, or not written
> to take into account how FreeBSD stores stuff.
>
> Is it worth my time to change configure.in to support FreeBSD?  Or are
> there other similar issues littered through the code?  Please tell me I
> am not tilting at windmills expecting this to work.  Thanks!

I would recommend that you use the Linux binary of the configuration
tool.  This will propably be relatively easy to get running (you may
have to hunt for some of the libraries the config tool depends on) and
there are no negative side effects of running Linux binaries on
FreeBSD.

Best regards,
Hans

* Re: [ECOS] Making eCos Configuration Tool on FreeBSD 6.1
@ 2006-09-24  6:03   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2006-09-24  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hübner; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hans Hübner wrote:
> I would recommend that you use the Linux binary of the configuration
> tool.  This will propably be relatively easy to get running (you may
> have to hunt for some of the libraries the config tool depends on) and
> there are no negative side effects of running Linux binaries on
> FreeBSD.

Thanks for the quick response!  I'll give that a try as a temporary
measure, but is there any hope of building natively?  The application
I'm using may require an old version of the config tool but I will have
to try a few versions first, and this seems like a hard way to do it.

Installing the Linux binary off the website is a quick thing to try,
though.  Thanks again!

@ 2006-09-24  7:05 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-09-24  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Twilley; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 10:51:47PM -0700, Jack Twilley wrote:
> So I'm trying to build the eCos configuration tool on my FreeBSD 6.1
> system and I'm running into some interesting issues.  It seems like the
> entire tcl/Tk detection system is either ancient, broken, or not written
> to take into account how FreeBSD stores stuff.
>
> Is it worth my time to change configure.in to support FreeBSD?  Or are
> there other similar issues littered through the code?  Please tell me I
> am not tilting at windmills expecting this to work.  Thanks!

Could you be a bit more specific?

We know that the autodetection does not always work. As it says in
README.host on some systems its necassary to pass something like
--with-tcl=/usr/ -with-tcl-version=8.4 to get it to build. I need this
for my Debain system. However once this is done ecosconfig compiles
without problems.

I also remember somebody else is using FreeBSD for the host. Maybe
there is some useful information in the email archives?

Also, a quick google found me:

http://www.freshports.org/devel/ecos-tools/

It looks rather old, but not much has changed in the config tools
lately.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Making eCos Configuration Tool on FreeBSD 6.1
@ 2006-09-25 20:58   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2006-09-25 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 10:51:47PM -0700, Jack Twilley wrote:
>> So I'm trying to build the eCos configuration tool on my FreeBSD 6.1
>> system and I'm running into some interesting issues.  It seems like the
>> entire tcl/Tk detection system is either ancient, broken, or not written
>> to take into account how FreeBSD stores stuff.
>>
>> Is it worth my time to change configure.in to support FreeBSD?  Or are
>> there other similar issues littered through the code?  Please tell me I
>> am not tilting at windmills expecting this to work.  Thanks!
>
> Could you be a bit more specific?

The work I mentioned has already been done, as you pointed out.  The
ecos-tool port is already in ports, and I've installed it.  Only one
snag in using it that I can see -- it assumes "make" is GNU make.  How
can I tell it to use "gmake" instead?

> We know that the autodetection does not always work. As it says in
> README.host on some systems its necassary to pass something like
> --with-tcl=/usr/ -with-tcl-version=8.4 to get it to build. I need this
> for my Debain system. However once this is done ecosconfig compiles
> without problems.

This just works with the port for what it's worth.

@ 2006-09-25 22:57     ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2006-09-25 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Jack Twilley wrote:
> The work I mentioned has already been done, as you pointed out.  The
> ecos-tool port is already in ports, and I've installed it.  Only one
> snag in using it that I can see -- it assumes "make" is GNU make.  How
> can I tell it to use "gmake" instead?

I was horribly unclear and I apologize.

I have built the tool and can use the graphical interface.  I load my
.ecc file and attempt to compile, and the tool shows this command being
executed:

sh -c "export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH; unset GDBTK_LIBRARY; unset
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX; export
ECOS_REPOSITORY=/home/jmt/svn/ecos-caffeine/packages; make --directory
/home/jmt/svn/ecos-caffeine/build/TRITON270_STK3_32F/TRITON270_STK3_32F_build"

And as this is BSD make, not GNU make, it fails.

How do I make the ecos-tool use gmake instead of make?

@ 2006-09-26  0:04       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2006-09-26  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Twilley; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Jack Twilley wrote:
> Jack Twilley wrote:
>> The work I mentioned has already been done, as you pointed out.  The
>> ecos-tool port is already in ports, and I've installed it.  Only one
>> snag in using it that I can see -- it assumes "make" is GNU make.  How
>> can I tell it to use "gmake" instead?
>
> I was horribly unclear and I apologize.
>
> I have built the tool and can use the graphical interface.  I load my
> .ecc file and attempt to compile, and the tool shows this command being
> executed:
>
> sh -c "export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH; unset GDBTK_LIBRARY; unset
> GCC_EXEC_PREFIX; export
> ECOS_REPOSITORY=/home/jmt/svn/ecos-caffeine/packages; make --directory
> /home/jmt/svn/ecos-caffeine/build/TRITON270_STK3_32F/TRITON270_STK3_32F_build"
>

> And as this is BSD make, not GNU make, it fails.
>
> How do I make the ecos-tool use gmake instead of make?

I'm not sure how to force this.

Why not just build GNU make and install it as 'make' at the
front of your path?

* Re: [ECOS] Making eCos Configuration Tool on FreeBSD 6.1
@ 2006-09-26  0:57         ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2006-09-26  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Jack Twilley wrote:
>> How do I make the ecos-tool use gmake instead of make?
>
> I'm not sure how to force this.
>
> Why not just build GNU make and install it as 'make' at the
> front of your path?

I already have GNU make built as 'gmake'.  This system does a lot of
other stuff besides build eCos and I don't want to break other things to
accommodate this tool.

Where did the tool generate the sh line?  I tried "MAKE=gmake
configtool" but that didn't work.

@ 2006-09-26  8:53       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2006-09-26  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Twilley; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 03:57:07PM -0700, Jack Twilley wrote:
> Jack Twilley wrote:
> >The work I mentioned has already been done, as you pointed out.  The
> >ecos-tool port is already in ports, and I've installed it.  Only one
> >snag in using it that I can see -- it assumes "make" is GNU make.  How
> >can I tell it to use "gmake" instead?
>
> I was horribly unclear and I apologize.
>
> I have built the tool and can use the graphical interface.  I load my
> .ecc file and attempt to compile, and the tool shows this command being
> executed:
>
> sh -c "export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH; unset GDBTK_LIBRARY; unset
> GCC_EXEC_PREFIX; export
> ECOS_REPOSITORY=/home/jmt/svn/ecos-caffeine/packages; make --directory
> /home/jmt/svn/ecos-caffeine/build/TRITON270_STK3_32F/TRITON270_STK3_32F_build"

It looks like this is hard coded at:

host/tools/configtool/standalone/wxwin/configtool.cpp:1394:ecApp::Build()

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Making eCos Configuration Tool on FreeBSD 6.1
@ 2006-10-01 16:03           ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2006-10-01 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jmt; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    >>> How do I make the ecos-tool use gmake instead of make?
    >>
    >> I'm not sure how to force this.
    >>
    >> Why not just build GNU make and install it as 'make' at the
    >> front of your path?

    Jack> I already have GNU make built as 'gmake'. This system does a
    Jack> lot of other stuff besides build eCos and I don't want to
    Jack> break other things to accommodate this tool.

A fairly easy workaround would be to start the configtool from a shell
script which prepends a directory to your PATH. That directory would
contain a symbolic link from make to the gmake executable.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect

* Re: [ECOS] Making eCos Configuration Tool on FreeBSD 6.1
@ 2006-10-02  6:10             ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2006-10-02  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Veer; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Bart Veer wrote:

>     >>> How do I make the ecos-tool use gmake instead of make?
>     >>
>     >> I'm not sure how to force this.
>     >>
>     >> Why not just build GNU make and install it as 'make' at the
>     >> front of your path?
>
>     Jack> I already have GNU make built as 'gmake'. This system does a
>     Jack> lot of other stuff besides build eCos and I don't want to
>     Jack> break other things to accommodate this tool.
>
> A fairly easy workaround would be to start the configtool from a shell
> script which prepends a directory to your PATH. That directory would
> contain a symbolic link from make to the gmake executable.

It was far easier to change "make" to "gmake" in the configtool source.

Jack.
(now to port the code to the newer gcc, sigh)

@ 2006-10-02  7:25               ` Lars Poeschel
From: Lars Poeschel @ 2006-10-02  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Jack Twilley

Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2006 08:10 schrieb Jack Twilley:
> >     >>> How do I make the ecos-tool use gmake instead of make?
> >     >>
> >     >> I'm not sure how to force this.
> >     >>
> >     >> Why not just build GNU make and install it as 'make' at the
> >     >> front of your path?
> >
> >     Jack> I already have GNU make built as 'gmake'. This system does a
> >     Jack> lot of other stuff besides build eCos and I don't want to
> >     Jack> break other things to accommodate this tool.
> >
> > A fairly easy workaround would be to start the configtool from a shell
> > script which prepends a directory to your PATH. That directory would
> > contain a symbolic link from make to the gmake executable.
>
> It was far easier to change "make" to "gmake" in the configtool source.
>
> Jack.
> (now to port the code to the newer gcc, sigh)

Maybe you want to try my patch:

http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-devel/2006-07/msg00000.html

With 2 exceptions, where you only have to remove the full qualification, it
compiles fine on gcc4.1.1
If a newer version of my patch is wanted on this list, I will do one.

Regards,

Lars