* [ECOS] Pipes in eCos
@ 2007-04-27  8:54 Venkateswara Rao L.
From: Venkateswara Rao L. @ 2007-04-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

	It seams eCos does not support pipes, is there anything
equivalent to that?

Warm Regards,
L.Venkateswara Rao.

* RE: [ECOS] Pipes in eCos
@ 2007-04-27  8:57 ` Chris Zimman
From: Chris Zimman @ 2007-04-27  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkateswara Rao L., ecos-discuss

eCos doesn't have processes, so pipes wouldn't be particularly useful.
You could certainly create a pipe emulation mechanism, but what is it
that you're trying to do?

@ 2007-04-27  9:46 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-04-27  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkateswara Rao L.; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 02:24:39PM +0530, Venkateswara Rao L. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	It seams eCos does not support pipes, is there anything
> equivalent to that?

Take a look at the thread:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/ecos-patches/2004-12/msg00034.html

It was decided not to include it because it does not really follow the
eCos way of doing things, but that should not stop you from using it
is you want.

   Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Pipes in eCos
@ 2007-04-27 11:24   ` Richard Pennington
From: Richard Pennington @ 2007-04-27 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Pennington, ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 02:24:39PM +0530, Venkateswara Rao L. wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> 	It seams eCos does not support pipes, is there anything
>> equivalent to that?
>
> Take a look at the thread:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/ecos-patches/2004-12/msg00034.html
>
> It was decided not to include it because it does not really follow the
> eCos way of doing things, but that should not stop you from using it
> is you want.
>
>    Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Out of curiosity, how does that pipe/pty implementation fall short for
eCos? I've been thinking of using it to get a select()-able file
descriptor for inter-thread communication.

Are there improvements that could be made to make it fit into eCos
better? I'd be willing to give it a try. Otherwise I'll just use my
version quietly.

-Rich

* Re: [ECOS] Pipes in eCos
@ 2007-04-27 13:59     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-04-27 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Pennington; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 06:23:26AM -0500, Richard Pennington wrote:
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 02:24:39PM +0530, Venkateswara Rao L. wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>	It seams eCos does not support pipes, is there anything
> >>equivalent to that?
> >
> >Take a look at the thread:
> >
> >http://www.cygwin.com/ml/ecos-patches/2004-12/msg00034.html
> >
> >It was decided not to include it because it does not really follow the
> >eCos way of doing things, but that should not stop you from using it
> >is you want.
> >
> >   Andrew
> >

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Out of curiosity, how does that pipe/pty implementation fall short for
> eCos? I've been thinking of using it to get a select()-able file
> descriptor for inter-thread communication.
>
> Are there improvements that could be made to make it fit into eCos
> better? I'd be willing to give it a try. Otherwise I'll just use my
> version quietly.

There was discussion at the time. What does the archive say? It is
something like two years ago, so i don't remember myself.

          Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] Pipes in eCos
@ 2007-04-27 11:20 Venkateswara Rao L.
From: Venkateswara Rao L. @ 2007-04-27 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: czimman, ecos-discuss

Chris

My requirement is to do some communication among threads .I can use MSGQ
for this. But I need to use select with the communication mechanism. As
using select is proving to be quite generic for my requirement. I've to
put additional infrastructure if i use msgqs.

L.Venkateswara Rao