From: "Loginov Alexander" <aloginov@asmpt.com>
To: <ecos-discuss@sourceware.org>, 	<ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
Subject: [ECOS] Is eCos project still alive?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 02:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hello guys,

We are considering to use e-Cos for our next large project in the area
of CNC machine control. I like this RTOS but two things confuse me a
lot:

1) The latest release is dated by May 2003. That is 4.5 years ago.
According to modern standards in software industry, eCos can be
considered as ancient as dinosaurs. Although I see some activity on eCos
mailing lists, it doesn't bring a peace to my mind. What happened to
eCos? It used to be very active in early 00. Why its releases are not
updated? It is quite strange, that ecoscentric commercially distributes
a product that is so old. Any success with such a specific business
model?

2) eCOS doesn't distinguish between privilege levels. Is there any way
to enable it for x86 platform? We need to keep user applications away
from the control system core that we would like to run in Ring 0.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Best regards,
Aelx