* [ECOS] Consolidation of MPC555 serial drivers
@ 2008-05-02  9:00 Steven Clugston
From: Steven Clugston @ 2008-05-02  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I would like to try to resolve some issues with the ec555 and cme555
serial driver.

I've found a number of issues when using this code which I'll address in
another thread, but to start with I would like to try and resolve the
fact that identical code is replicated identically for each MPC555
platform. There are two already in cvs and the board I'm working with
adds a third for me to maintain.

There has been some discussion in the past about this on the list but
nothing has changed in cvs.

As the driver makes use of the SCI serial part of the processor I cann't
see why there would ever be a need for the code to be different on
different boards as the serial hardware is identical.

If I was to create a patch to create a generic mpc555 out of the
existing drivers in cvs, is there any chance that this would be accepted
into cvs?

If so, where do I post the patch, to this list?

Thanks,

Steven

* Re: [ECOS] Consolidation of MPC555 serial drivers
@ 2008-05-02 17:54 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-05-02 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Clugston; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 09:58:09AM +0100, Steven Clugston wrote:
> I would like to try to resolve some issues with the ec555 and cme555
> serial driver.

Just to be sure... We are talking about the interrupt driver serial
drives:

packages/devs/serial/powerpc/cme555 and
packages/devs/serial/powerpc/ec555.

> If I was to create a patch to create a generic mpc555 out of the
> existing drivers in cvs, is there any chance that this would be accepted
> into cvs?

I think all that is needed is small changes to the active_if of one of
the drivers and remove the other.

> If so, where do I post the patch, to this list?

ecos-patches would be better.

For something this simple we should not need a copyright assignment.
However if you then want to submit patches to fix problems you then
probably do need an assignment with FSF. Please take a look at:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/assign.html

        Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] Consolidation of MPC555 serial drivers
@ 2008-05-06  9:16   ` Steven Clugston
From: Steven Clugston @ 2008-05-06  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I propose that the cdl should be changed from:

active_if     CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC_CME555

active_if     CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC_MPC5xx

Technically it's an mpc555 driver and not an mpc5xx driver, but (as far
as I have noticed) there are no other targets like mpc505 or mpc565 in
the source tree yet.

Also every reference to cme555/ec555 should be changed/refactored to
mpc555 and the files:

ser_powerpc_cme555.cdl
cme555_ser_with_ints.c
cme555_serial.h

Should be renamed to:

ser_powerpc_mpc555.cdl
mpc555_ser_with_ints.c
mpc555_serial.h

The corresponding ec555 files woud need removing and all cdl references
updating in ser_powerpc_cme555.cdl, ser_powerpc_ec555.cdl and ecos.db.
I think just keeping one driver and deleting the other introduces
unnecessary confusion using the cme555 driver for the ec555 board etc.

I hope as there would be no new code or functionality there would not
need to be a copyright assignment just for this?

@ 2008-05-06  9:26     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-05-06  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Clugston; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> I hope as there would be no new code or functionality there would not
> need to be a copyright assignment just for this?

It all sounds O.K, and i agree, no copyright assignment is needed.

Go for it.

    Andrew