* [ECOS] FW: Adding flash device using the flash v2 drivers
@ 2008-12-19 14:32 Alex Lindeijer
From: Alex Lindeijer @ 2008-12-19 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi
We have a controller card with a MPC8541 on it and a spansion S29GL512
flash. We used the Python eval board from A&M to start the ecos based
development. The ecos supplied was base don the legacy v1 flash drivers.
We are experiencing some verification problems on certain higher
addresses when accessing it from our application but everything is OK
when writing to flash from Redboot.
Therefore I wanted to tryt he v2 flasher driver to see whether that
makes a difference.. It seems I have (almost) everything in place but
get at startup

ASSERT FAIL: <4>flash.c[231]cyg_flash_init() incorrect number of flash
devices

Question is now: how do I add the flash device to the cyg_flashdevtab? I
suppose I have to do this in the board specific python.c under
devs/flash/....

When adding an extra ethernet port it was quit clear how to add it to
the netdevtab using the NETDEVTAB_ENTRY macro. Is there something
similar for adding a flash device?

And: can I run flash v2 in my applicattion and the legacy in my
redboot(ROMRAM)?

Thanks in advance
Alex Lindeijer
3D Perception - Senior System Designer

* Re: [ECOS] FW: Adding flash device using the flash v2 drivers
@ 2008-12-19 15:10 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-12-19 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Lindeijer; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:33:49PM +0100, Alex Lindeijer wrote:

> Hi
> We have a controller card with a MPC8541 on it and a spansion S29GL512
> flash. We used the Python eval board from A&M to start the ecos based
> development. The ecos supplied was base don the legacy v1 flash drivers.
> We are experiencing some verification problems on certain higher
> addresses when accessing it from our application but everything is OK
> when writing to flash from Redboot.

I would check your memory controller configuration. Maybe it is not
driving the top address line, so it is left floating. Just an idea.

> Therefore I wanted to tryt he v2 flasher driver to see whether that
> makes a difference.. It seems I have (almost) everything in place but
> get at startup
>
> ASSERT FAIL: <4>flash.c[231]cyg_flash_init() incorrect number of flash
> devices
>
> Question is now: how do I add the flash device to the cyg_flashdevtab? I
> suppose I have to do this in the board specific python.c under
> devs/flash/....
>
> When adding an extra ethernet port it was quit clear how to add it to
> the netdevtab using the NETDEVTAB_ENTRY macro. Is there something
> similar for adding a flash device?

Yes, CYG_FLASH_DRIVER(). The am29xxxxxv2 has good documentation. Take
a look at that as an example.

> And: can I run flash v2 in my applicattion and the legacy in my
> redboot(ROMRAM)?

Yes, that will work.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] FW: Adding flash device using the flash v2 drivers
@ 2008-12-19 15:25 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2008-12-19 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Lindeijer; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Alex Lindeijer wrote:
> Hi
> We have a controller card with a MPC8541 on it and a spansion S29GL512
> flash. We used the Python eval board from A&M to start the ecos based
> development. The ecos supplied was base don the legacy v1 flash drivers.
> We are experiencing some verification problems on certain higher
> addresses when accessing it from our application but everything is OK
> when writing to flash from Redboot.

Can you give details on this?  Can you duplicate the problem
using the Python (A&M MPC8541) board?

* RE: [ECOS] FW: Adding flash device using the flash v2 drivers
@ 2008-12-19 19:28   ` Alex Lindeijer
From: Alex Lindeijer @ 2008-12-19 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi
Thanks, for the fast response. I found the documentation and added
#include "cyg/io/am29xxxxx_dev.h"

#ifdef CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29XXXXX_V2

#include "cyg/io/flash.h"
#include "cyg/io/flash_dev.h"

static const CYG_FLASH_FUNS(hal_mw2_flash_amd_funs,
    cyg_am29xxxxx_init_cfi_16,
    cyg_flash_devfn_query_nop,
    cyg_am29xxxxx_erase_16,
    cyg_am29xxxxx_program_16,
    (int (*)(struct cyg_flash_dev*, const cyg_flashaddr_t, void*, size_t))0,
    cyg_flash_devfn_lock_nop,
    cyg_flash_devfn_unlock_nop);

static cyg_am29xxxxx_dev hal_mw2_flash_priv;

CYG_FLASH_DRIVER(hal_mw2_flash,
                 &hal_mw2_flash_amd_funs,
                 0,
                 0xF0000000,
                 0xFFFFFFFF,
                 1,
                 hal_mw2_flash_priv.block_info,
                 &hal_mw2_flash_priv
);
#endif

In my board specific flash code mw2_flash.c and the following in the board specific cdl in the dev/flash tree
cdl_package CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_POWERPC_MW2 {
    display       "3DP MW2 FLASH memory support"

    parent        CYGPKG_IO_FLASH
    active_if	  CYGPKG_IO_FLASH
    requires	  CYGPKG_HAL_POWERPC_MW2

    implements    CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE

    compile       mw2_flash.c

    # Arguably this should do in the generic package
    # but then there is a logic loop so you can never enable it.
    cdl_interface CYGINT_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29XXXXX_REQUIRED {
        display   "Generic AMD flash driver required"
    }

    implements    CYGINT_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29XXXXX_REQUIRED

}

And I have set CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE to 1
But still I gett he "incorrect number of devices" assert
 I find the hal_mw2_flash back in the ecos library (grep) so it was included........
I assume that the error message is an result of not correctly adding an entry to the flash device table.
Br
Alex Lindeijer
3D Perception - Senior System Designer
Solbråveien 41, PO. Box 455
N-1373 Asker, Norway

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:33:49PM +0100, Alex Lindeijer wrote:

> Hi
> We have a controller card with a MPC8541 on it and a spansion S29GL512
> flash. We used the Python eval board from A&M to start the ecos based
> development. The ecos supplied was base don the legacy v1 flash drivers.
> We are experiencing some verification problems on certain higher
> addresses when accessing it from our application but everything is OK
> when writing to flash from Redboot.

I would check your memory controller configuration. Maybe it is not
driving the top address line, so it is left floating. Just an idea.

> Therefore I wanted to tryt he v2 flasher driver to see whether that
> makes a difference.. It seems I have (almost) everything in place but
> get at startup
>
> ASSERT FAIL: <4>flash.c[231]cyg_flash_init() incorrect number of flash
> devices
>
> Question is now: how do I add the flash device to the cyg_flashdevtab? I
> suppose I have to do this in the board specific python.c under
> devs/flash/....
>
> When adding an extra ethernet port it was quit clear how to add it to
> the netdevtab using the NETDEVTAB_ENTRY macro. Is there something
> similar for adding a flash device?

Yes, CYG_FLASH_DRIVER(). The am29xxxxxv2 has good documentation. Take
a look at that as an example.

> And: can I run flash v2 in my applicattion and the legacy in my
> redboot(ROMRAM)?

Yes, that will work.

     Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] FW: Adding flash device using the flash v2 drivers
@ 2008-12-20  3:17   ` Alex Lindeijer
From: Alex Lindeijer @ 2008-12-20  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi
Well our application code is now so board specific that is not so easy
to get it to run on the Python board.
I gett he same error message "incorrect number of flash devices" with
the flash v2 drivers on the Python.
We'll probably need to isolatet he code and run it on the Python board.

@ 2008-12-22 22:54     ` Alex Lindeijer
From: Alex Lindeijer @ 2008-12-22 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi again
I'm still struggeling with the use of flash v2.
In my install directory I see: #define CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE 2 , i.e. expects 2 devices. What is causing this define? My .ecc has an entry:

# >
# Hardware FLASH device drivers
# This calculated option gives the number of flash devices
# on the current platform. The generic flash support requires
# at least one device.
#
cdl_interface CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE {
    # Implemented by CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_POWERPC_PYTHON, active, enabled
    # Implemented by CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29XXXXX_V2, active, enabled
    # This value cannot be modified here.
    # Flavor: data
    # Current_value: 2
    # Requires:  CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE >= 1
    #     CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE == 2
    #   --> 1

    # The following properties are affected by this value
    # interface CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE
    #     Requires:  CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE >= 1
    # option CYGSEM_IO_FLASH_VERIFY_PROGRAM
    #     ActiveIf:  CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_INDIRECT_READS < CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE
};

Where does the number 2 come from? If I change it to 1 it will still be defined as 2 in my install/include directory
mw-dev@ubuntu-alex:/mnt/hgfs/SW_root/Drivers/App/Source/Sw/kernel/MW2_install$ grep -r CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE *
include/cyg/io/flash.h:#if defined(CYGSEM_IO_FLASH_LEGACY_API) || defined(CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE_LEGACY)
include/cyg/io/flash_dev.h:#if (CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE > 1)
include/cyg/io/flash_dev.h:#ifdef CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE_LEGACY
include/cyg/io/flash_dev.h:#endif // CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE_LEGACY
include/pkgconf/io_flash.h:#define CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE 2
include/pkgconf/io_flash.h:#define CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE_2
include/pkgconf/io_flash.h:#define CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE_NEEDS_CACHE_HANDLED 1
include/pkgconf/io_flash.h:#define CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE_NEEDS_CACHE_HANDLED_1

I'm still confused........
BR
Alex Lindeijer
3D Perception - Senior System Designer

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:33:49PM +0100, Alex Lindeijer wrote:

> Hi
> We have a controller card with a MPC8541 on it and a spansion S29GL512
> flash. We used the Python eval board from A&M to start the ecos based
> development. The ecos supplied was base don the legacy v1 flash drivers.
> We are experiencing some verification problems on certain higher
> addresses when accessing it from our application but everything is OK
> when writing to flash from Redboot.

I would check your memory controller configuration. Maybe it is not
driving the top address line, so it is left floating. Just an idea.

> Therefore I wanted to tryt he v2 flasher driver to see whether that
> makes a difference.. It seems I have (almost) everything in place but
> get at startup
>
> ASSERT FAIL: <4>flash.c[231]cyg_flash_init() incorrect number of flash
> devices
>
> Question is now: how do I add the flash device to the cyg_flashdevtab? I
> suppose I have to do this in the board specific python.c under
> devs/flash/....
>
> When adding an extra ethernet port it was quit clear how to add it to
> the netdevtab using the NETDEVTAB_ENTRY macro. Is there something
> similar for adding a flash device?

Yes, CYG_FLASH_DRIVER(). The am29xxxxxv2 has good documentation. Take
a look at that as an example.

> And: can I run flash v2 in my applicattion and the legacy in my
> redboot(ROMRAM)?

Yes, that will work.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] FW: Adding flash device using the flash v2 drivers
@ 2008-12-22 23:29       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-12-22 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Lindeijer; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:46:46PM +0100, Alex Lindeijer wrote:
> Hi again
> I'm still struggeling with the use of flash v2.
> In my install directory I see: #define CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE 2 , i.e. expects 2 devices. What is causing this define? My .ecc has an entry:
>
> # >
> # Hardware FLASH device drivers
> # This calculated option gives the number of flash devices
> # on the current platform. The generic flash support requires
> # at least one device.
> #
> cdl_interface CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE {
>     # Implemented by CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_POWERPC_PYTHON, active, enabled
>     # Implemented by CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29XXXXX_V2, active, enabled

These two statements are your clue. You have two device drivers
loaded, both which are implementing CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE.

I'm guessing one of these should not have the implements statement in
its CDL, probably the PYTHON one wants to be removed. However since
the PYTHON driver is not in anonymous CVS i cannot say.

      Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] FW: Adding flash device using the flash v2 drivers
@ 2008-12-22 23:38         ` Alex Lindeijer
From: Alex Lindeijer @ 2008-12-22 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi
OK I get it. I can remove it from the python_flash.cdl, and than the
number is 1. That one looks then like this:
cdl_package CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_POWERPC_PYTHON {
    display       "A&M Python (MPC85xx) FLASH memory support"
    compile       python_flash.c

}
But should I remove it here the Am29xxxx_V2 driver are used indirectly
through the CYG_FLASH_DRIVER as defined in python_flash.c
In python_flash.c
#include "cyg/io/am29xxxxx_dev.h"

#ifdef CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29XXXXX_V2

#include "cyg/io/flash.h"
#include "cyg/io/flash_dev.h"

static const CYG_FLASH_FUNS(hal_mw2_flash_amd_funs,
    cyg_am29xxxxx_init_cfi_16,
    cyg_flash_devfn_query_nop,
    cyg_am29xxxxx_erase_16,
    cyg_am29xxxxx_program_16,
    (int (*)(struct cyg_flash_dev*, const cyg_flashaddr_t, void*,
size_t))0,
    cyg_flash_devfn_lock_nop,
    cyg_flash_devfn_unlock_nop);

static cyg_am29xxxxx_dev hal_mw2_flash_priv= {
    .devid      = 0x45,
    .block_info = {
        { 0x00004000, 1 },
        { 0x00002000, 2 },
        { 0x00008000, 1 },
        { 0x00010000, 63 }
    }
};

CYG_FLASH_DRIVER(hal_mw2_flash,
                 &hal_mw2_flash_amd_funs,
                 0,
                 0xF0000000,
                 0xFFFFFFFF,
                 4,
                 hal_mw2_flash_priv.block_info,
                 &hal_mw2_flash_priv
);
#endif

Thanks for the swift answers
Alex Lindeijer
3D Perception - Senior System Designer

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:46:46PM +0100, Alex Lindeijer wrote:
> Hi again
> I'm still struggeling with the use of flash v2.
> In my install directory I see: #define CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE 2 , i.e.
expects 2 devices. What is causing this define? My .ecc has an entry:

> # >
> # Hardware FLASH device drivers
> # This calculated option gives the number of flash devices
> # on the current platform. The generic flash support requires
> # at least one device.
> #
> cdl_interface CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE {
>     # Implemented by CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_POWERPC_PYTHON, active, enabled
>     # Implemented by CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29XXXXX_V2, active,
enabled

These two statements are your clue. You have two device drivers
loaded, both which are implementing CYGHWR_IO_FLASH_DEVICE.

I'm guessing one of these should not have the implements statement in
its CDL, probably the PYTHON one wants to be removed. However since
the PYTHON driver is not in anonymous CVS i cannot say.

      Andrew

* [ECOS] DHCP fails after bringing it up and down twice
@ 2009-04-07 14:01         ` Alex Lindeijer
From: Alex Lindeijer @ 2009-04-07 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Lindeijer, ecos-discuss

Hi

Based on either external commands or ethernet down->up events I'm
switching between fixed/dhcp  or any combination of the 2.

At the moment I'm trying DHCP to DHCP. It might be overkill but when I
get an external command to use DHCP or my ethernet link goes up again I

shutdown/close all my sockets,

dhcp_release,

dhcp_halt

do_dhcp

bring up the sockets again

This works at start-up, and one time after, butt he third time none of
the dhcp discover message is getting out on the ethernet. So due to
enabling of dhcp chatter I see that is trying to send discovery messages
but nothing happens 'on the line'.

Does anybody have a hint what this might be. When I print the routing
tabloes juist before the do_dhcp they are empty. I cannot see any
difference between just before the second do_dhcp(which succeeds) and
the third(which fails).

Cheers

Alex Lindeijer