* [ECOS] Installing source after full build
@ 2012-11-29 23:23 Michael Jones
From: Michael Jones @ 2012-11-29 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I apologize if this is an old question. I did search the lists as best as I could...

I just built ecos on RHE4.6 64 bit with some code tweaks to make it compile, and it installs the configtool, and libs.

But I noticed that it does not copy source files or ecos.db from the source dir to the target dir along with the binary stuff.

Is there a way to get all the code and db copied over via the make process or do I just have to copy it?

Should I instead compile on top of the source tree directly?

Mike

* [ECOS] Re: Installing source after full build
@ 2012-12-01 18:30 ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2012-12-01 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jones; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Mike

On 29/11/12 23:23, Michael Jones wrote:

> But I noticed that it does not copy source files or ecos.db from the
> source dir to the target dir along with the binary stuff.
>
> Is there a way to get all the code and db copied over via the make
> process or do I just have to copy it?
>
> Should I instead compile on top of the source tree directly?

When you build eCos, the eCos library (libtarget.a), linker script
(target.ld), external header files and a few miscellaneous files are
placed in the eCos "install" tree. These files are all you need to
compile application code and link it with eCos to form a self-contained
application executable. Your application code should not reference
header files located within the eCos source code repository.

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer
http://www.dallaway.org.uk/john

* Re: [ECOS] Installing source after full build
@ 2012-12-01 20:25   ` Michael Jones
From: Michael Jones @ 2012-12-01 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: eCos Discussion

John,

I could be wrong, but my observation was the ecos.db was not copied from the build (meaning the ecos and ecos config tool build), and neither was packages. The eCos Configuration tool certainly needs ecos.db, but I assume it needs the package tree. So unless there is some environment variable telling the Configuration tool where to find this, how would copying only the library work?

Perhaps you interpreted my build as the build done within the config tool. I am talking about the build of ecos and the config tool. I am compiling the whole thing rather than using a binary distribution so that I have access to the new Kinetis support.

Mike

@ 2012-12-02  9:04     ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2012-12-02  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jones; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Mike

On 01/12/12 20:24, Michael Jones wrote:

> I could be wrong, but my observation was the ecos.db was not copied from
> the build (meaning the ecos and ecos config tool build), and neither was
> packages. The eCos Configuration tool certainly needs ecos.db, but I
> assume it needs the package tree. So unless there is some environment
> variable telling the Configuration tool where to find this, how would
> copying only the library work?
>
> Perhaps you interpreted my build as the build done within the config tool.

Yes, that is where the eCos run-time code is built.

> I am talking about the build of ecos and the config tool.

Only the host tools are built via the configure/make process.

You should point the eCos Confiiguration Tool at your eCos repository
(using the Build->Repository menu item) to configure and build the eCos
run-time code. You should specify the directory _containing_ the eCos
"packages" directory (not the "packages" directory itself).

> I am compiling
> the whole thing rather than using a binary distribution so that I have
> access to the new Kinetis support.

You should be able to use the latest Linux-hosted configtool snapshot
build (2011-02-09) on 64-bit distros if you install the relevant 32-bit
compatibility libraries. Ref:

  http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2011-02/msg00031.html

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer
http://www.dallaway.org.uk/john

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Installing source after full build
@ 2012-12-04 16:42       ` Ilija Kocho
From: Ilija Kocho @ 2012-12-04 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: Michael Jones, eCos Discussion

John

If there is a wish list, I think it would be a good idea to have an
option [in configtool/ecosconfig] to copy the sources into the /build/ tree.
Production of private [to the project] eCos instant would be of help for
some applications [that need certification, etc].

Ilija