* [ECOS] open, close, read, write ????
@ 1998-11-24 12:51 Stuart Adams
       [not found] ` < 365B1C58.582C88B4@brightstareng.com >
From: Stuart Adams @ 1998-11-24 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Any plans to add the open(), close(), read(), write() calls
to eCos ??? I have alot of existing code the assumes they
exist. (I guess I could create stubs routines for open() et al.
that call fopen(), fclose() ... but this seems a little backwards.)

-- Stuart

Stuart Adams
Bright Star Engineering Inc.
19 Enfield Drive
Andover MA 01810 USA
Tel: +1-978-470-8738
Fax: +1-978-470-8878
Email: sja@brightstareng.com
Web: http://www.brightstareng.com/

* Re: [ECOS] Re: open, close, read, write ????
@ 1998-11-27  7:04     ` Eur. Ing. Christopher Gray
From: Eur. Ing. Christopher Gray @ 1998-11-27  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bartv; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Bart Veer wrote:

>     Stuart> Any plans to add the open(), close(), read(), write()
>     Stuart> calls to eCos ??? I have alot of existing code the assumes
>     Stuart> they exist. (I guess I could create stubs routines for
>     Stuart> open() et al. that call fopen(), fclose() ... but this
>     Stuart> seems a little backwards.)
>
> The question here is "What exactly can you open()?". [...]

> Work is certainly planned in this area, but there are a few other
> things that have higher priority right now and work may not start for
> a couple more months. Once work begins the first step will be to
> generate a public discussion document and invite comments from the
> development community.

I'll be very interested in this : we need some kind of filestore on or
embedded system, and this could become an argument for switching from
our current RTOS to eCos.

--

  Eur. Ing. Chris Gray MBCS C. Eng.       chris.gray@smartmove.be

@ 1998-11-27  7:04   ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 1998-11-27  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sja; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Stuart> Any plans to add the open(), close(), read(), write()
    Stuart> calls to eCos ??? I have alot of existing code the assumes
    Stuart> they exist. (I guess I could create stubs routines for
    Stuart> open() et al. that call fopen(), fclose() ... but this
    Stuart> seems a little backwards.)

The question here is "What exactly can you open()?". Right now there
are no file systems available for eCos. There is some primitive
support in the C library which allows you to fopen() the various
device drivers amenable to this, but that may not be what you are
after.

There is a basic issue here of how to manage the I/O namespace. Some
embedded systems will have only a single block device on which I/O is
possible, for example a ROM disk. Other embedded systems may support
dynamic various different block devices, for example both a network
file system and flash disk support. In a general solution all device
drivers would be accessible via /dev/whatever (as well as providing
their own lower-level interfaces for people who want more control
over what the devices are doing). The challenge is to satisfy all the
different requirements in a way that does not impose unnecessary
overheads on smaller systems.

Work is certainly planned in this area, but there are a few other
things that have higher priority right now and work may not start for
a couple more months. Once work begins the first step will be to
generate a public discussion document and invite comments from the
development community.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer