* [ECOS] ECOS: compiler builds.
@ 1999-08-17 17:14 Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-08-17 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am contemplating using eCos on an embedded product using the MPC860
processor.  It has three processor boards.  1 board requires TCP/IP and
SNMP as well as PCMCIA support.  I don't think eCos can support these at
the moment (please correct me if I am wrong) so I was thought I'd use
Linux for that one.  The other two boards have minimal peripherals
(RS232 and HDLC).  This would be ideal for eCos.

I was reading the document and it says to download the ecos software
tools and to compile them.  I already have built an egcs-1.1.2
cross-compiler that targets powerpc-eabi.  Can I use this.  I don't see
any reasons why not.  Extra libraries and startup code for board support
packages can be placed in appropriate directories.  Please advise on
whether I MUST use the eCos compilers (gcc variants I assume).

I'd like to use Insight as my debugger.  I am in the process of building
this for a powerpc-eabi target and can see no reasons why this should
not work.  Any comments ?

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.

* Re: [ECOS] ECOS: compiler builds.
@ 1999-08-18  7:38 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 1999-08-18  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brendan; +Cc: ecos-discuss

In article < 37B9FAFC.2AE6765@dgs.monash.edu.au > you write:

>I am contemplating using eCos on an embedded product using the MPC860
>processor.  It has three processor boards.  1 board requires TCP/IP and
>SNMP as well as PCMCIA support.  I don't think eCos can support these at
>the moment (please correct me if I am wrong)

It can't without commercial software from one of our partners, no.

>I was reading the document and it says to download the ecos software
>tools and to compile them.  I already have built an egcs-1.1.2
>cross-compiler that targets powerpc-eabi.  Can I use this.  I don't see
>any reasons why not.

I'm 99% certain egcs-1.1.2 does not support constructor priority ordering
for powerpc-eabi. But you should be able to use either gcc-2.95 or the
eCos software tools we provide.

>I'd like to use Insight as my debugger.  I am in the process of building
>this for a powerpc-eabi target and can see no reasons why this should
>not work.  Any comments ?

We've used it happily here on both Windows and Unix, so there really
shouldn't be any problems.

Hope this helps,

Jifl
--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...

* Re: [ECOS] ECOS: compiler builds.
@ 1999-08-18  7:59   ` Dan Hovang
From: Dan Hovang @ 1999-08-18  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: brendan, ecos-discuss

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> In article < 37B9FAFC.2AE6765@dgs.monash.edu.au > you write:
> >
> >I was reading the document and it says to download the ecos software
> >tools and to compile them.  I already have built an egcs-1.1.2
> >cross-compiler that targets powerpc-eabi.  Can I use this.  I don't
> > see any reasons why not.
>
> I'm 99% certain egcs-1.1.2 does not support constructor priority
> ordering for powerpc-eabi. But you should be able to use either
> gcc-2.95 or the eCos software tools we provide.

You could also modify the startupcode to call the contructors in
the right order. Check the cyg_hal_invoke_constructors function in
hal/mips/arch/v1_1/src/hal_misc.c in eCos 1.1. I did like that to
make eCos 1.1 compile with some old gcc-arm-coff targeting StrongARM.
However, IMO, that was is not a very neat solution.

--
Dan Hovang (dh@ctech.ideon.se)
CTechnologies, Ideon Research Park

* [ECOS] Re: compiler builds.
@ 1999-08-18  8:23 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 1999-08-18  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brendan; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    Brendan> I was reading the document and it says to download the
    Brendan> ecos software tools and to compile them. I already have
    Brendan> built an egcs-1.1.2 cross-compiler that targets
    Brendan> powerpc-eabi. Can I use this. I don't see any reasons why
    Brendan> not. Extra libraries and startup code for board support
    Brendan> packages can be placed in appropriate directories. Please
    Brendan> advise on whether I MUST use the eCos compilers (gcc
    Brendan> variants I assume).

    Brendan> I'd like to use Insight as my debugger. I am in the
    Brendan> process of building this for a powerpc-eabi target and
    Brendan> can see no reasons why this should not work. Any
    Brendan> comments?

In theory it should be possible to take the various toolchain
components from the sourceware site and combine them to get a set of
tools usable with eCos. The main components are gcc 2.95 (not any
earlier releases), gdb 4.18, and binutils. It should be possible to
add Insight to that list as well.

In practice there are no guarantees that this will work. gcc, gdb etc.
are all separate projects undergoing rapid development, and we do not
continually test all of the toolchain components for eCos
compatibility. The toolchain download that is available via the eCos
web pages has been specifically tested for eCos and is known to work.

So if people want a solid and tested toolchain than the eCos one is
appropriate. If you want the very latest compiler optimizations etc.
then feel free to try out the latest releases of everything. It is
possible that everything will just work for any given target. It is
also possible that there may be a few problems that you will need to
sort out.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer