* [ECOS] Hurd, QNX and POSIX
@ 1999-09-23 10:33 Jim Belton
From: Jim Belton @ 1999-09-23 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discuss

Stef wrote:

> Could ecos be the microkernel for the hurd, instead of mach ?

Ignoring the technical reasons, the answer is still no.  The GNU boys
wouldn't adopt eCos due to the ECPL.  They want to GPL the hurd.

> Is it comparable to qnx ?

It's more like QNX neutrino, which is the portable QNX RT kernel.

> Would it be difficult to port posix apps on ecos ?

This depends alot on what hardware you are running eCos on.  If you are
asking for the details of which POSIX APIs are supported, perhaps some
one else could post a link.  I'd like to know the answer to that as
well.  In particular, what level of POSIX.4/pthreads support is
available?

Hope this helps - Jim.

* [ECOS] Re: Hurd, QNX and POSIX
@ 1999-09-28  7:23 ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 1999-09-28  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jhb; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    >> Would it be difficult to port posix apps on ecos ?

    Jim> This depends alot on what hardware you are running eCos on.
    Jim> If you are asking for the details of which POSIX APIs are
    Jim> supported, perhaps some one else could post a link. I'd like
    Jim> to know the answer to that as well. In particular, what level
    Jim> of POSIX.4/pthreads support is available?

The current eCos release does not provide a POSIX compatibility layer.
However Cygnus has just announced the EL/IX initiative, and as part of
this initiative we will be implementing a significant subset of POSIX
on top of eCos. For more details please see
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/elix/

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer