* [ECOS] Motorola MPC8xxFADS board and BDM
@ 1999-10-26 23:33 John Fisher
From: John Fisher @ 1999-10-26 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe it should be possible to get eCos going on this board using the
BDM debug port and the Macraigor wiggler and without using an externally
burnt flash or the gdb stub or MPC8BUG and the ADI card.

I'm thinking along the lines of using a gdb script to get things going,
starting with

target ocd wiggler lpt1

then configuring the memory controller sufficiently to get to the point
where I can download eCos + application and then let it rip.

Am I thinking along plausible lines? If so has anyone already done this? If
not any advice along the lines of what needs to be done would be
appreciated.

I'm thinking I'll need to at least write the gdb script and modify one of
the existing platform ports (not sure which one is best) to suit the
situation. I could also perhaps start with the Motorola example startup
code.

John Fisher
Transmission Systems Division
NEC Australia Pty Ltd
649 Springvale Road
Mulgrave Vic 3170
Australia
email: jfisher@tns.neca.nec.com.au
ph: + 613 9264 3606
fax: + 613 9264 3892

* Re: [ECOS] Motorola MPC8xxFADS board and BDM
@ 1999-10-27  0:53 ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-10-27  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Fisher wrote:

> I believe it should be possible to get eCos going on this board using the
> BDM debug port and the Macraigor wiggler and without using an externally
> burnt flash or the gdb stub or MPC8BUG and the ADI card.
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of using a gdb script to get things going,
> starting with
>
> target ocd wiggler lpt1
>
> then configuring the memory controller sufficiently to get to the point
> where I can download eCos + application and then let it rip.
>
> Am I thinking along plausible lines? If so has anyone already done this? If
> not any advice along the lines of what needs to be done would be
> appreciated.

Yes, this is plausable.  I have used the Wiggler with GDB talking to a MPC860
ADS board.  We use it all the time with a commercial RTOS.  I tried using
Linux with the BDM but it dies.  Apparently Linux can't be used due to the
Virtual Memory stuff.  I'm sure eCos is more like the commercial RTOS we are
using rather than a big OS like Linux so you should be OK.  Anyone like to
confirm this.

> I'm thinking I'll need to at least write the gdb script and modify one of
> the existing platform ports (not sure which one is best) to suit the
> situation. I could also perhaps start with the Motorola example startup
> code.

Yep.  I just ported the startup scripts I had for SDS Single Step debugger and
also the MPCBUG debugger.  I can see if I've still got them hanging around if
you like.

Brendan Simon.