* [ECOS] Problem about redboot
@ 2000-10-25 18:04 ness
From: ness @ 2000-10-25 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi
    I am porting redboot for mips vrc4373. We just need ethernet debug, so
I did not write flash driver.
    When I invoke hal_if_init to initial the hal_virtual_vector_table, I
meet the problem.Two functions (hal_ctrlc_isr_init and hal_ctrlc_isr) are
multiple defined. In the directory common they are defined first, and in
the directory mips they are defined second. I do not know how to change
them.
    Who can tell me how to deal with it.
    Many thanks.
 ness

* Re: [ECOS] Problem about redboot
@ 2000-10-25 19:04 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-10-25 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ness; +Cc: ecos-discuss

ness wrote:

> Hi
>     I am porting redboot for mips vrc4373. We just need ethernet debug, so
> I did not write flash driver.
>     When I invoke hal_if_init to initial the hal_virtual_vector_table, I
> meet the problem.Two functions (hal_ctrlc_isr_init and hal_ctrlc_isr) are
> multiple defined. In the directory common they are defined first, and in
> the directory mips they are defined second. I do not know how to change
> them.

The vrc4373 doesn't implement the "standard" virtual vector support. What
you are seeing is an oversight that the hal_ctrl_isr* functions in
hal/common were not sufficiently conditionally compiled, which I will fix.
[ Jesper, I will make these functions conditional on
CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_SUPPORT ]

To implement redboot you would need to implement virtual vectors for the
vrc4373 platform. There are plenty of examples in other platforms.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Problem about redboot
@ 2000-10-25 23:52   ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2000-10-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ness, ecos-discuss

Jonathan> The vrc4373 doesn't implement the "standard" virtual vector
Jonathan> support. What you are seeing is an oversight that the
Jonathan> hal_ctrl_isr* functions in hal/common were not sufficiently
Jonathan> conditionally compiled, which I will fix.  [ Jesper, I will
Jonathan> make these functions conditional on
Jonathan> CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_SUPPORT ]

But, but, but, that shouldn't be necessary... :)

        cdl_component CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_SUPPORT {
            display     "Enable use of virtual vector calling interface"
            active_if   CYGINT_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_SUPPORT
            calculated  1
            description "
                Virtual vector support allows the HAL to let the ROM
                monitor handle certain operations. The virtual vector table
                defines a calling interface between applications running in
                RAM and the ROM monitor."
            compile     hal_if.c hal_misc.c
        }

The file is only ever compiled when there is virtual vector
support. The problem is the fact that the vrc4373 is not converted
properly/at all and the virtual vector support was still attempted
used.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] Problem about redboot
@ 2000-10-26  0:01     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-10-26  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Skov; +Cc: ness, ecos-discuss

Jesper Skov wrote:

> Jonathan> The vrc4373 doesn't implement the "standard" virtual vector
> Jonathan> support. What you are seeing is an oversight that the
> Jonathan> hal_ctrl_isr* functions in hal/common were not sufficiently
> Jonathan> conditionally compiled, which I will fix.  [ Jesper, I will
> Jonathan> make these functions conditional on
> Jonathan> CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_SUPPORT ]
>
> But, but, but, that shouldn't be necessary... :)
>
>         cdl_component CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_SUPPORT { [snip]
>             compile     hal_if.c hal_misc.c
>         }

Doh! I didn't see that. I'll revert my patch (even though it's harmless).

> The file is only ever compiled when there is virtual vector
> support. The problem is the fact that the vrc4373 is not converted
> properly/at all and the virtual vector support was still attempted
> used.

It's not converted at all. I take it "ness" must have somehow forced it on
in the configuration.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] problem about redboot
@ 2002-12-20  7:46 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-12-20  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhang_zhe_163; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 07:23, zhe zhang wrote:
> I want to use redboot to boot another OS . I downloaded ecos1.3.1 and some document , such as "user guide" and "redboot install"
>
> But I can not find out how to get the booter , I used ecosconfig to config as "redboot install" tell me , but I found error "no this template". The command is "econfig new pc redboot ". It does not do .
>
> Can u give me some advice ?

You'll have to get the latest sources - not 1.3.1! - either
from anonymous CVS or from a snapshot
(http://www.ecoscentric.com/snapshots)

> By the way , I want to use redboot to load my OS via network or serial port , did someone work it out ? Can it work well ?

Yes, in general RedBoot can do this.  What target platform
are you using?

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc

* [ECOS] problem about redboot