* [ECOS] ARM EP7xxx ROM image - gcc -g  omission requirement
@ 2000-11-10 13:53 AshCan
From: AshCan @ 2000-11-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Cirrus Logic has an application note for building ecos
based systems for the EP72xx family of processors.

Page 12 of the app note lists requirements for building
a ROM image for download.

One of the items states "build your application without
the debugger option -g."

I did build with and without -g and diff'd the two
binary files generated by arm-elf-objcopy.
Sure enough they are different even though the byte
count is the same.

Can someone explain why this requirement exists, why
the .bin files are different, and what effect the
difference has?

regards,

Dan Ash
SonicBox

* Re: [ECOS] ARM EP7xxx ROM image - gcc -g  omission requirement
@ 2000-11-20 12:16 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-20 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AshCan; +Cc: ecos-discuss

AshCan@aol.com wrote:

> Cirrus Logic has an application note for building ecos
> based systems for the EP72xx family of processors.
>
> Page 12 of the app note lists requirements for building
> a ROM image for download.
>
> One of the items states "build your application without
> the debugger option -g."

I don't know why it says that. The documentation is not accurate in this
respect probably.

> I did build with and without -g and diff'd the two
> binary files generated by arm-elf-objcopy.
> Sure enough they are different even though the byte
> count is the same.
>
> Can someone explain why this requirement exists, why
> the .bin files are different, and what effect the
> difference has?

.bin files never contain debug info so I don't know why it explicitly says
to remove -g. It's almost certainly redundant, but.... why bother.

The .bin files will always be different. Try doing a "make clean ; make" of
the *same* configuration, and you will see that the .bin files are
different then as well. There are timestamps stored in the files.

Jifl