* RE: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-29 11:10 Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2000-11-29 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Lewin A.R.W. Edwards'; +Cc: Ecos-List (E-mail)

Then, if you're external hardware can be connected to a PC, I suggest you
use your spare PC as a test platform and install eCos instead of linux on
it.

That's what I did here.

--
Fabrice Gautier
fabrice_gautier@sdesigns.com

* RE: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-29 12:18 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2000-11-29 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier; +Cc: Ecos-List (E-mail)

> > It's hard for us to get our inputs into an emulator. We need
> > to connect to
> > external hardware. Writing interfaces and abstraction layers
>
>Then, if you're external hardware can be connected to a PC, I suggest you
>use your spare PC as a test platform and install eCos instead of linux on

Not easily. Building the hardware and software glue would be at least as
much work as getting the real system working - and just as much debugging
effort, most of which would be wasted. This stuff really needs to be done
in vivo.

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Got any Commodore 16 or VIC-20 hardware, cartridges, tapes?
Visit http://www.larwe.com/vintage/
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-30  2:26   ` Robin Farine
From: Robin Farine @ 2000-11-30  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: Ecos-List (E-mail)

Lewin,

Please either switch definitively to Visual XYZ++ development or if you
really want to use free tools and OSes, first try to think positive, and
then accept to have to read source code, to understand how the damned
things work (or, more often, why they don't), and even to fix bugs!

After that, you'll certainly feel a lot better and, for instance, you
will propose some improvements to the documentation instead of
complaining.

I know, Window$ users are not trained in understanding (because they do
not have any documentation or source code perhaps), but it's never too
late to start!

Robin

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-30  5:48     ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2000-11-30  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin Farine; +Cc: Ecos-List (E-mail)

Hello Robin,

>really want to use free tools and OSes, first try to think positive, and
>then accept to have to read source code, to understand how the damned
>things work (or, more often, why they don't), and even to fix bugs!

What you are saying here boils down to "it is free, therefore you must
expect the quality to be below par", and I do not accept this. And really
the only change I am proposing is very sensible: Whoever maintains a set of
instructions for installing a set of tools should keep available for
download a snapshot of the exact versions that the instructions reference.
Yes, they will be out of date at the end of the week. But at least a person
can get started. You can't learn how the tools work if you can't build them.

I was thinking very positive at the start, but in the face of zero results
it is difficult to retain this state of mind.

The version of gcc and libc I'm using in our current product was compiled
in 1996. It is ancient, but I see no need for upgrades. Iff (not a typo) we
were having some problem attributable to compiler age then I would consider
battling the make process to try to get an update built. With the current
system, I don't get a choice.

>I know, Window$ users are not trained in understanding (because they do

That is an unfair comment. Just because I have written for Windows does not
mean I am a new user unwrapping his first PC and installing AOL. Actually I
got into Windows quite late, and I haven't written a line of code for the
OS in more than  a year and a half (and I don't miss it...) In fact it is
refreshing not to be a slave to Microsoft and undocumented APIs and
concealed OS bugs. We are currently getting into Universal Plug'n'Pray and
I am having feelings of deja vu, seeing the way MS is trying to leverage
all its proprietary technologies into our project. It will be a cold day in
hell before we put WinCE into our devices, though.

As for wanting to run devtools inside Windows, the simple fact is that most
commercial apps are for Windows. So it is a significant disruption to my
life to have to run two OSs on two PCs. Running Linux I can't just switch
over to the circuit diagram or our intra-office email system or MS-Word to
update a spec document. It is an appreciable drain on productivity.

I want to boot my board and debug my own code, not someone else's. I don't
have the ability to tell five junior programmers "Go work out how to build
the tools, you've got a month to do so".

I can't believe that my viewpoint is unique.

@ 2000-11-30  6:18       ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2000-11-30  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: Ecos-List (E-mail)

> As for wanting to run devtools inside Windows, the simple fact is that most
> commercial apps are for Windows. So it is a significant disruption to my
> life to have to run two OSs on two PCs. Running Linux I can't just switch
> over to the circuit diagram or our intra-office email system or MS-Word to
> update a spec document. It is an appreciable drain on productivity.

The nice thing about Unix is that its multi user and knows about
remote displays. All the people here have NT workstations on the
desk. We have one Linux box in a machine room which we all telnet into
and do development work on. It has no problem handling 7 or more
simultanious users compiler and debugging. So we get the best of both
worlds. Linux to do the serious work on and NT for Word. Turn your
spare PC into a Linux server for all your engineers to use.

        Andrew

PS don't try this with NTs telnet client, its too broken.

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-30  8:29       ` Robin Farine
From: Robin Farine @ 2000-11-30  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: Ecos-List (E-mail)

Ho Lewin,

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:
> <snip>
> What you are saying here boils down to "it is free, therefore you must
> expect the quality to be below par", and I do not accept this. And really
> the only change I am proposing is very sensible: Whoever maintains a set of
> instructions for installing a set of tools should keep available for
> download a snapshot of the exact versions that the instructions reference.
> Yes, they will be out of date at the end of the week. But at least a person
> can get started. You can't learn how the tools work if you can't build them.
>
> I was thinking very positive at the start, but in the face of zero results
> it is difficult to retain this state of mind.
> <snip>

I meant that with eCos we have two main choices: either we pay a few
hundreds of K$ for special support from Red Hat and then we get a
private channel to increase the pressure on eCos developers/maintainers,
or we do not pay anything but we benefit from the eCos mailing-list
which provides a means of reporting specific problems or discussing
about potential improvements. This second choice compares with any other
free-software project, something like:

	"This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY 		WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A 		PARTICULAR PURPOSE."

It also implies that we shall make a personal effort of collaboration to
improve it rather than asking others to do the job for us. Note that I
do *not* mean that that's what *you*'re expecting, but I have seen many,
many times things like:

	"I have downloaded your software XYZ but when I tried to install it, I
got an error 		message saying blah blah blah. PLEASE HELP ME!"

but naturally no indication of version, date, OS, tools, FTP transfer
mode, cygwin mount type, ... and sometimes it makes me loose a bit of
self-control.

I apologize if my previous posting hurted you and thanks for answering.

Robin

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-30  8:30         ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2000-11-30  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: Ecos-List (E-mail)

> > commercial apps are for Windows. So it is a significant disruption to my
> > life to have to run two OSs on two PCs. Running Linux I can't just switch
>
>desk. We have one Linux box in a machine room which we all telnet into
>and do development work on. It has no problem handling 7 or more
>simultanious users compiler and debugging. So we get the best of both

Hmm. Have to admit I didn't think of this, thanks for that suggestion. I
suspect I will end up going with swappable or partitioned hard drives,
though, as it's the line of least resistance (however annoying). I don't
have time to climb additional learning curves, unfortunately.

Don't you just hate the way building the infrastructure to get a
development system working requires more effort than getting the actual end
object code right?

@ 2000-11-30 11:07           ` Matthew H. Gerlach
From: Matthew H. Gerlach @ 2000-11-30 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, Ecos-List (E-mail)

Many folks in our group, run Windows 2000 and use Vmware to run a complete Linux
on the same machine at the same time for embedded development.   The arm-elf
compiles under a Vmware Linux are neglibly slower that arm-elf compiles under
straight Linux.

Matthew

@ 2000-11-29  7:41             ` Paul Black
From: Paul Black @ 2000-11-29  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn <andrew.lunn@ascom.ch> wrote:

> > I'm in a similar boat, we will probably go with one of 3: VxWorks,
> > Nucleus or eCos. I've built the kernel (I think!) but now I don't know
> > what I can do:
> > How do I get my own Apps. in?
>
> Look at the Tutorial section of the documentation.

Ah yes found it. Had to do a find piped into grep to actually get it. If
it was linked off the top level contents page I might have had a
fighting chance of knowing it existed.

> > Undocumented does seem to be the problem: I've looked at eCos dev. on
> > Linux, a colleague looked at eCos dev. on Windows. Neither of us have
> > actually got anywhere yet (probably a couple of weeks of combined
> > effort). There comes a point when we give up.
>
> I personaly have not found the documentation too bad. Its terse, but
> just about all there. Comming from a Unix background, man pages etc,
> im used to it and like it.

I also come from a Unix background but if the information can't be found
then it's irrelevant whether it's terse or verbose.

Paul

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-29  7:22             ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2000-11-29  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>I personaly have not found the documentation too bad. Its terse, but
>just about all there. Comming from a Unix background, man pages etc,
>im used to it and like it.

It's not just that the documentation is terse, but it is scattered across
many unrelated documents and is _always_ out of date because of version
creep between components. Actually this is the same complaint I have about
Linux also - too many things are built on a fragile structure of
incremental patches. If you have been following something ever since it was
an early beta, and you have downloaded every +0.001 patch, then what you
have will match the latest readme file (which you won't need anyway because
you are an expert). But if you are a new user, then you will get
documentation version 1.200 that points you to a site where you can only
download software version 1.305 with a readme file that describes only
changes between version 1.304 and 1.305. The installation instructions for
1.200 will not work for the 1.305 version. Also the developers will forget
to mention that between 1.300 and 1.301 they upgraded some other component
on their system, and that this upgrade is mandatory.

Maybe lurking on some mirror site in deepest Transylvania is an old
snapshot that has actual documentation matching product, but finding this
is harder than finding the holy grail.

It's very frustrating for new developers. If I ever get to understand this
enough to get it working properly, I will try to develop a "real" getting
started document including actual snapshots of working sources and tools.

@ 2000-11-29  6:58           ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2000-11-29  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > very much beyond build the tools (kinda - I can't build the tools for
> > arm-thumb, only those for arm-elf), play with the configuration tool, and
>
>As someone else pointed out, the arm-elf is the more used tool
>chain. Why not go with the flow and use that?

Well, I don't have any choice, since I can't build the thumb tools and
don't believe they currently work at all. However, I was really hoping for
smaller and faster code using Thumb (especially on our ultra-cost-pared
model, where I want to use 16-bit buses). I don't really want to spend the
thousands on the ARM toolkit though (especially since it comes from
Metrowerks and to add insult to injury it has copy-protection).

@ 2000-11-29  5:10 Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2000-11-29  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Disuss

On 29-Nov-2000 Andrew Lunn wrote:
> If you are having realy problems mail to the list. One thing where
> eCos differece from VxWorks and Nucleaus etc, is there is a net
> community, a bizarre is in opertation and people are working on the
> ego.

Upps. Me Dyslexia strikes again. I meant to say

..there is a net community, a bazaar is in operation and people are
working on their ego.

For those that are totaly confused i suggest you read
http://www.openresources.com/documents/cathedral-bazaar/index.html

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-29  2:22           ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2000-11-29  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Black; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> I'm in a similar boat, we will probably go with one of 3: VxWorks,
> Nucleus or eCos. I've built the kernel (I think!) but now I don't know
> what I can do:
> How do I get my own Apps. in?

Look at the Tutorial section of the documentation.

> Can I simulate it on my dev platform (Linux)?

Yes. Look for references to the Synthetic target. It runs eCos as a
process on Linux.

> Basically, what do I do?

RTM and try it.

> Undocumented does seem to be the problem: I've looked at eCos dev. on
> Linux, a colleague looked at eCos dev. on Windows. Neither of us have
> actually got anywhere yet (probably a couple of weeks of combined
> effort). There comes a point when we give up.

I personaly have not found the documentation too bad. Its terse, but
just about all there. Comming from a Unix background, man pages etc,
im used to it and like it.

When i get a new release i can generaly compile everything from
scratch in half a day. The tool chain takes the longest time. The
limit is disk io, not human. I just follow what i says in the
documentation, plus one ecosconfig import file to make things a little
easier for me.

@ 2000-11-29  1:45             ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2000-11-29  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Stephen Polkowski, ecos-discuss

> It doesn't apply to "trivial" patches though, although the exact boundaries
> are somewhat subjective.

Thats definatly true. Look at the ChangeLog in the anoncvs. My name
pops up in various places and i've never had to sign a legal document.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-29  1:43         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2000-11-29  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: Hugo 'NOx' Tyson, ecos-discuss

> Thus far I'm waiting in agony for eval hardware so I've not been able to do
> very much beyond build the tools (kinda - I can't build the tools for
> arm-thumb, only those for arm-elf), play with the configuration tool, and
> find out that I can't install the TCP/IP module.

As someone else pointed out, the arm-elf is the more used tool
chain. Why not go with the flow and use that?

While you are waiting for your hardware i suggest you play with the
synthetic target and do the tutorial in the documentation. Thats the
way i was introduced to eCos. I tend to use the synthetic target a

@ 2000-11-29  0:45         ` Paul Black
From: Paul Black @ 2000-11-29  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

@ 2000-11-28 12:23         ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-11-28 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 02:58:57PM -0500, Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:

> > > and what is your target CPU/architecture?
> >
> >ARM7TDMI (custom board using a Samsung KS32C5000).
>
> My intended target is very similar - Cirrus Logic EP7212
> (Maverick, hence my pun). How did you manage to build gcc for
> thumb? I gave up on this task.

I'm running in 32-bit ARM mode.  I've never done anything in
thumb mode.

> Well, I was thinking more about the toolchain than the OS
> itself when I wrote that. I went through perhaps 80-100 full
> builds of binutils, gcc and insight before finally concluding
> that (a) the instructions for arm-thumb on Red Hat's site are
> just wrong, and (b) the arm-thumb target seems to be broken in
> all current and all past versions of gcc. [...]

Ah, I forgot that you were using thumb mode.  That probably
explains the differences in our experiences.  There are a lot
more people using 32-bit ARM mode (people running Linux on
StrongARM, for example), so I think that tends to be better
supported than the thumb stuff.  How well the open source model
works tends to depend a lot on how large the user community is.

"All bugs are deep to a small number of eyes."

> > > and every time one hits a problem one has to start debugging it
> > > from the ground up.
> >
> >Are you saying that you would prefer that official releases
> >came out more often?
>
> Well, that would be nice :) But realistically, I am asking for
> publication somewhere of a complete working set of tools and a
> set of OS sources that can be built with those tools, even if
> the whole package is rather elderly. With that to start from,
> at least one can (for example) debug one's circuit while
> cautiously trying to build and use more recent versions of
> tools and OS sources. It's very frustrating to be where I am
> now, where nothing builds quite the way it's supposed to and I
> can't trust any component.

You might be able to purchase a gnu-pro version from Red Hat,
but if you're looking for something you can download for free,
that pretty much depends on whether somebody else who has
needed the same stuff has taken the time to make it all
available.  I put together a working snapshot of
Cygwin/32-bit-ARM-tools (which is available via FTP thanks to
Dave Airlie), but I don't have any thumb mode tools.

> I don't know about you, but we have standardized on OrCAD for
> our schematic capture and PCB layout, mainly because our
> factories use it. It's just so handy to be able to Alt-Tab away
> from the source window to the schematic, and to develop circuit
> and software simultaneously.

Well, I don't do hardware design any more.  The last time I
did, we were using Electrical CAD software than ran on Sun
Workstations.  Since it was all X11 based, I could run the
programs remotely from my Linux box (as could Win32 users after
they futzed with Hummingbird Exceed for a day or two).

> Additionally, with our current DOS/Win9x development system
> (actually it's an ancient version of gcc, compiled for a Win32
> host), I can carry all the source and schematics on my laptop,
> so when I go home I have access to it and can answer midnight
> questions from our Oriental factory, build emergency test
> versions of software to deal with production issues, etc.

I can do the same with my Laptop that runs Linux, except that I
can't actually edit the schematics, only look at them.

> >I don't buy DOS-only hardware.  Except for that one HC11
>
> We have no choice, dealing with Taiwanese chip vendors. The
> chips are cheap and often work, but the development systems are
> unbelievably bad. I am trying to wean us off them, but we still
> have a lot of hardware round the place that uses proprietary
> parallel port controls.

Yea, that sucks.  Development tools that come from IC vendors
are notoriously bad, but sometimes they're the only choice.
JTAG debugging w/ the ARM isn't the greatest, and I miss having
real ICE, but it works and it's fairly platform independent.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-28 12:16           ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-28 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Polkowski; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Stephen Polkowski wrote:

>         I apologize for my rash note.  I was unaware that the lawyers
> were mucking up the progress.  So, in general, all contributed
> code needs to get the OK from the law staff?  Now I truly have
> a reason to hate lawyers! :-}

This link:
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/faq.html#contrib_assign gives the reasoning
behind it. The FSF take the same approach.

It doesn't apply to "trivial" patches though, although the exact boundaries
are somewhat subjective.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-28 12:01         ` Stephen Polkowski
From: Stephen Polkowski @ 2000-11-28 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Jifl,

	I apologize for my rash note.  I was unaware that the lawyers
were mucking up the progress.  So, in general, all contributed
code needs to get the OK from the law staff?  Now I truly have
a reason to hate lawyers! :-}

Steve

--
Stephen Polkowski
Centaur Technology

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-28 12:01       ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2000-11-28 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Grant,

> > and what is your target CPU/architecture?
>
>ARM7TDMI (custom board using a Samsung KS32C5000).

My intended target is very similar - Cirrus Logic EP7212 (Maverick, hence
my pun). How did you manage to build gcc for thumb? I gave up on this task.

> > The reason I ask this is because I have one very major gripe
> > with the free open-source level of support from Red Hat, and
> > that is that there is no version unification, no known point
> > from which to start,
>
>I'm not sure what you mean.  There are "official" releases: the
>current one is 1.3.1, and you also have access to CVS sources.

Well, I was thinking more about the toolchain than the OS itself when I
wrote that. I went through perhaps 80-100 full builds of binutils, gcc and
insight before finally concluding that (a) the instructions for arm-thumb
on Red Hat's site are just wrong, and (b) the arm-thumb target seems to be
broken in all current and all past versions of gcc. RH's site talks about
the 20000113 gcc snapshot as working - why the heck could they not have
archived that version? A CVS checkout of that date still doesn't build
properly, maybe the repository got corrupted in some way.

> > and every time one hits a problem one has to start debugging it
> > from the ground up.
>
>Are you saying that you would prefer that official releases
>came out more often?

Well, that would be nice :) But realistically, I am asking for publication
somewhere of a complete working set of tools and a set of OS sources that
can be built with those tools, even if the whole package is rather elderly.
With that to start from, at least one can (for example) debug one's circuit
while cautiously trying to build and use more recent versions of tools and
OS sources. It's very frustrating to be where I am now, where nothing
builds quite the way it's supposed to and I can't trust any component.

>over the years.  The nice thing (for me) about using the gnu
>toolchain is the lack of a learning curve.  I've been using gcc
>et al for almost 15 years, so it was nice that I didn't have to
>learn yet another set of compiler, assembler, andlinker options

Frankly, I'd rather not learn any compiler, assembler and linker options or
makefile syntax. Working on Windows or OS/2 or DOS, I prefer to use an IDE
to select source files and generate my makefiles, then work at the command
line for builds and source editing. But that's not germane to the issue and
I'm not complaining about having to deepen my knowledge of gcc.

@ 2000-11-28 11:35       ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2000-11-28 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo 'NOx' Tyson, ecos-discuss

Hi Hugo,

> > instructions, and a big part of the problem is that instead of providing
> > specific snapshots of known-working versions, the install instructions
> > refer to nonexistent historical versions.
>
>not the "political officer"^W^W "commercial contact" ;-) here.  Please take
>this as a personal aside, not an official Red Hat frontman's comment!
>In a nutshell, providing specific snapshots of known-working versions which
>we have thoroughly tested and that we continue to test for your specific
>platform, is the business side that allows all this stuff's existence in

I understand this political issue. The chicken and egg problem I have for
you is this: I'm the lead engineer on a consumer electronics line
[www.digi-frame.com], currently running a proprietary OS (written by
myself) and shipping thousands of pieces a year, of two models. Next year
we want _at least_ three _new_ models including a new ultra-low-cost
high-sales-volume unit. We want TCP/IP and multitasking and out-of-box
support for our new CPU of choice, and eCOS looks good to me for that reason.

@ 2000-11-28 11:33       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-28 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Polkowski; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2000-11-28 10:31     ` Hugo 'NOx' Tyson
From: Hugo 'NOx' Tyson @ 2000-11-28 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> writes:
> ...my experience with eCos and its toolchain thus far is that almost no
> component has installed/configured/compiled per the installation
> instructions, and a big part of the problem is that instead of providing
> specific snapshots of known-working versions, the install instructions
> refer to nonexistent historical versions.

I certainly don't want to have an argument about the quality of the free
distributions or anoncvs, nor of the politics of free software or open
source projects, and I'm definitely not disputing what you say.  I'm also
not the "political officer"^W^W "commercial contact" ;-) here.  Please take
this as a personal aside, not an official Red Hat frontman's comment!

In a nutshell, providing specific snapshots of known-working versions which
we have thoroughly tested and that we continue to test for your specific
platform, is the business side that allows all this stuff's existence in
the first place.  Put another way: we're more responsive to folks with a
support contract - sorry, but that's the way it is.

...which doesn't excuse poor quality in free distributions.  But this list
helps a lot with that, we hope.  And for most people who have climbed that
learning curve, it seems that newer (and maybe unreliable) is better than
more solid but out of date in terms of feature set.  Hence the anoncvs
service.

	- Huge

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-28 10:18     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-11-28 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 12:44:02PM -0500, Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:

> >We've been using it for about a year now (we've been shipping a
> >product that uses eCos for about 4 months).  I've got no
> >complaints.  The level of support provided by the mailing list
> >is _far_ better than support my colleagues have gotten for
> >pSOS.
>
> I'm curious: What specific platform do you use for development,

Linux (Intel).

> and what is your target CPU/architecture?

ARM7TDMI (custom board using a Samsung KS32C5000).

> The reason I ask this is because I have one very major gripe
> with the free open-source level of support from Red Hat, and
> that is that there is no version unification, no known point
> from which to start,

I'm not sure what you mean.  There are "official" releases: the
current one is 1.3.1, and you also have access to CVS sources.

Commercial products only provide the official releases.

> and every time one hits a problem one has to start debugging it
> from the ground up.

Are you saying that you would prefer that official releases
came out more often?

> I'm wondering if I have experienced my usual Murphyesque ill
> luck and chosen the one maverick platform (pun intended) in the
> "supported platforms" list,

Don't know.  I've never used a supported platform.

> but my experience with eCos and its toolchain thus far is that
> almost no component has installed/configured/compiled per the
> installation instructions, and a big part of the problem is
> that instead of providing specific snapshots of known-working
> versions, the install instructions refer to nonexistent
> historical versions.

I guess I didn't have any memorable problems installing and
building eCos.  It did take a few days of messing around to get
the toolchains built, but certainly no more hassle than I've
run into with some of the commerical toolchains I've debugged
over the years.  The nice thing (for me) about using the gnu
toolchain is the lack of a learning curve.  I've been using gcc
et al for almost 15 years, so it was nice that I didn't have to
learn yet another set of compiler, assembler, andlinker options
when I started doing eCos development.

> Point taken about Linux host being less problematic, but I
> tried both Linux and Cygwin and had only slightly different
> results. Also, I don't know about other embedded engineers, but
> it is a significant annoyance to me to have to use anything
> other than Win9x for development,

I've never used Windows for embedded development, though I used
DOS briefly many years ago.  I've always found SW development
under Unix to be easier than what I've observed other Windows
users doing.  I started out 15 years ago doing embedded
development under Unix, and though I've tried a few other
systems in the meanwhile (VMS and DOS), I still find Unix to be
the most productive environment.

> because most of the special-purpose hardware we use is
> DOS-only. It's quite painful to have to use two PCs instead of
> one.

I don't buy DOS-only hardware.  Except for that one HC11
emulator.  That one I ran under Linux's DOSemu.  Worked
better than it did under real DOS.

> One certainly couldn't describe eCOS as a fast track to
> anything; there are a dozen different steep learning curves to
> be climbed before you can even build the OS, much less try to
> link your own program.

It didn't seem any more difficult than the commerical RTOSes
I've used.  The process of porting eCos to a new platform and
writing drivers for custom hardware seemed equivalent to or
better than what I've seen trying to get other RTOSes running
on custom hardware.

Perhaps there are other systems that are quicker than eCos if
you want an off-the-shelf turnkey system, but I've always done
development for custom boards, so I can't make a comparison.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-28 10:16     ` Stephen Polkowski
From: Stephen Polkowski @ 2000-11-28 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: Grant Edwards, ecos-discuss

Hi,

	I've been evaluating eCos for Intel systems for the last 2
months and I'm impressed by it.  I've also been watching this
forum.  However, one thing that I've noticed is that getting
code changes into the eCos source may depend on the platform
you're developing.

	For instance,  Fabrice Gautier has been very active in
publishing changes for the Intel platform.  Three or four
months ago he wrote a patch for the 386 PCI support.  He also
contributed several other changes for the 386.  None of these
changes have been promoted to CVS source tree.  Why?$$

	Before you decide to use eCos, make sure your platform is
actively supported.  Even if its on list, don't assume your
free coding efforts will be put into the source tree.

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

> Hi Grant,
>
> >We've been using it for about a year now (we've been shipping a
> >product that uses eCos for about 4 months).  I've got no
> >complaints.  The level of support provided by the mailing list
> >is _far_ better than support my colleagues have gotten for
> >pSOS.
>
> I'm curious: What specific platform do you use for development, and what is
> your target CPU/architecture?
>
> The reason I ask this is because I have one very major gripe with the free
> open-source level of support from Red Hat, and that is that there is no
> version unification, no known point from which to start, and every time one
> hits a problem one has to start debugging it from the ground up.
>
> I'm wondering if I have experienced my usual Murphyesque ill luck and
> chosen the one maverick platform (pun intended) in the "supported
> platforms" list, but my experience with eCos and its toolchain thus far is
> that almost no component has installed/configured/compiled per the
> installation instructions, and a big part of the problem is that instead of
> providing specific snapshots of known-working versions, the install
> instructions refer to nonexistent historical versions.
>
> Point taken about Linux host being less problematic, but I tried both Linux
> and Cygwin and had only slightly different results. Also, I don't know
> about other embedded engineers, but it is a significant annoyance to me to
> have to use anything other than Win9x for development, because most of the
> special-purpose hardware we use is DOS-only. It's quite painful to have to
> use two PCs instead of one.
>
> One certainly couldn't describe eCOS as a fast track to anything; there are
> a dozen different steep learning curves to be climbed before you can even
> build the OS, much less try to link your own program.
>
> Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
> Got any Commodore 16 or VIC-20 hardware, cartridges, tapes?
> Visit http://www.larwe.com/vintage/
> Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
> Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

--
Stephen Polkowski
Centaur Technology
Austin, TX
(512) 418-5730

* Re: [ECOS] How do you like eCos
@ 2000-11-28  9:44   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2000-11-28  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Grant,

@ 2000-11-28  8:45 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-11-28  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anarchy; +Cc: eCos mail

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 10:49:51PM +0800, anarchy wrote:

> Our company is trying to find a "serious kernel" to get rid of pSOS and
> VxWorks. I found eCos very charming but have no experience using it. Is
> there any company using eCos longer than one year and thinking it's
> good(or very good or bad). I need to hear some serious comment about
> using eCos by senior users. Please give me any advice or suggestions.
> Thanks a lot.

We've been using it for about a year now (we've been shipping a
product that uses eCos for about 4 months).  I've got no
complaints.  The level of support provided by the mailing list
is _far_ better than support my colleagues have gotten for
pSOS.

My experience is that development under Linux/Unix involves
fewer hassels than under Win32 (Cygwin/toolchain issues are
solvable but ever-present).

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com