* [ECOS] Network dead after abnormal break
@ 2001-01-01  9:17 David Geng
From: David Geng @ 2001-01-01  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi, there,

The network will die, if a TCP connect is broken abnormally, for example by
Ctrl-C at host. I don't know if it is the problem of TCP/IP stack or my
CS8900A driver porting. eCos seems still working, for I can use GDB to stop
it and do some single steps. Maybe the interrupt response is lost.

Regards

David

//
//     University of Newcastle upon Tyne
//     Tel: +44 (0)191 222 6000 ext 5018
//  http://www.students.ncl.ac.uk/deli.geng/
//

* Re: [ECOS] Network dead after abnormal break
@ 2001-01-05 15:14 ` Jonathan Larmour
       [not found]   ` <000801c077cc$27eab1e0$020a0a0a@ncl.ac.uk>
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-01-05 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Geng; +Cc: ecos-discuss

David Geng wrote:

> Hi, there,
>
> The network will die, if a TCP connect is broken abnormally, for example by
> Ctrl-C at host. I don't know if it is the problem of TCP/IP stack or my
> CS8900A driver porting. eCos seems still working, for I can use GDB to stop
> it and do some single steps. Maybe the interrupt response is lost.

If it's of any help to know, we've had it working with other drivers, so it
may be that driver in particular.

Jifl
Un cheval, pas du glue. Pas du cheval, beaucoup du glue. || Opinions==mine

@ 2001-01-08  3:54     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-01-08  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Geng, eCos discussion

David Geng wrote:

> In my test program, the receiving code is like this:
>
> while(1) read(sock, buf, sizeof(buf));
>
> When the connection is broken, read() will return 0. From then on, if we
> continue using read() to try to get some data, the whole TCP/IP stack will
> die.

That definitely should not happen. Has anyone else observed this? (I
haven't got any net-able hardware on my desk right now to try). It does
sound like it would be the stack, not the driver.

> So I changed like this:
>
> while( read(sock, buf, sizeof(buf));
>
> It works well. The peak receiving speed can reach 1.05MByte, while sending
> is 0.9MByte.
>
> Also I found a bug in the original CS8900A driver. After patch, it can work
> more stably and more efficiently. If anyone is interested in it, I can
> provide the source code.

We're going to be a lot more responsive to patches now, so please send it
in!

Jifl