* [ECOS] sprintf/sscanf w/o stdio package?
@ 2001-01-10  9:42 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-01-10  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

The SNMP stuff uses sprintf, so I had to add the stdio package
to my configuration to get sprintf() built.  Everything builds
(and runs) fine, but now I get error messages from ecosconfig
about missing packages required by STDIO.

I'm not happy about ignoring error messages from ecosconfig,
but I don't especially want to add the stuff that's required to
satisfy STDIO depndancies.  I could lie to ecosconfig and tell
it my HAL or my serial driver impliments the packages that
STDIO needs, but that cold bite somebody later if they try to
use printf().

Any suggestions?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] sprintf/sscanf w/o stdio package?
@ 2001-01-10 12:30 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-01-10 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Grant Edwards wrote:

> The SNMP stuff uses sprintf, so I had to add the stdio package
> to my configuration to get sprintf() built.

I'll fix the SNMP CDL so it explicitly reflects the sprintf requirement.

> Everything builds
> (and runs) fine, but now I get error messages from ecosconfig
> about missing packages required by STDIO.

Which ones? It should require the error and strings packages, but those are
the only ones of any consequence.

Jifl
Un cheval, pas du glue. Pas du cheval, beaucoup du glue. || Opinions==mine

* Re: [ECOS] sprintf/sscanf w/o stdio package?
@ 2001-01-10 12:43   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-01-10 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 08:30:17PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> > The SNMP stuff uses sprintf, so I had to add the stdio package
> > to my configuration to get sprintf() built.
>
> I'll fix the SNMP CDL so it explicitly reflects the sprintf requirement.
>
> > Everything builds
> > (and runs) fine, but now I get error messages from ecosconfig
> > about missing packages required by STDIO.
>
> Which ones? It should require the error and strings packages,
> but those are the only ones of any consequence.

The only one it's complaining about now is
CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_HALDIAG.  I presume that's only really
required if printf() is used?

At one point I was getting messages about something requiring
buffered I/O, but that went away...

--

@ 2001-01-10 13:01     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-01-10 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Grant Edwards wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 08:30:17PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
> > > Everything builds
> > > (and runs) fine, but now I get error messages from ecosconfig
> > > about missing packages required by STDIO.
> >
> > Which ones? It should require the error and strings packages,
> > but those are the only ones of any consequence.
>
> The only one it's complaining about now is
> CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_HALDIAG.  I presume that's only really
> required if printf() is used?

Ah. Yes that is only required if printf is used. This requirement comes
from a libcdl issue: currently there is no way currently to express that if
CYGDAT_LIBC_STDIO_DEFAULT_CONSOLE is set to /dev/ttydiag or /dev/haldiag,
then you need to have those implemented in the I/O package. This came from
some point before when some user tried to do this (use /dev/ttydiag when
CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_HALDIAG wasn't enabled). Since CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_HALDIAG is
the default and most common case this requirement was added.

Maybe the requirement should not exist and I should assume that that user's
mistake was a one-off. Opinions?

Certainly you should be able to comment it out in your sources.