* [ECOS] i386 target crashes after download
@ 2001-01-18  9:40 Jochen Hagemann
From: Jochen Hagemann @ 2001-01-18  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am trying to run ECOS on an i386 target, a PC-104 board.
The Kernel and the gdb-stubs seem to be ok. The target boots from a floppy disk
and I am able to connect to it with Insight 5 and download test applications.
While loading, lots of those "mysterious" characters appear on the screen, fine !
Until here everything works as desired.
But right after downloading, the screen shows wild flickering, then the target reboots.
There are no messages in the gdb console except download progress.
Setting breakpoints anywhere in the code doesen't help, it seems that they are never reached.

My PC-104 board has a 66 MHz STPC-CPU, 16 MB Ram and a Phoenix Bios from 07/19/00
I already checked if parts of the stubs are overwritten during download, i386-elf-objdump says:

gdb_module.img:  file format elf32-i386
Disassembly of section .text:
00001000 <_start>: ...

<any test application>:  file format elf32-i386
Disassembly of section .text:
00010000 <_start>: ...

This should be ok.

Does anybody know what's going wrong here ? I even tried:

int main(void){
  return 0;
}

without success...Jochen Hagemann

* Re: [ECOS] i386 target crashes after download
@ 2001-01-19  3:18 Christian Plessl
From: Christian Plessl @ 2001-01-19  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Oops, hmm, I forgot to attach my posting...

.. so here we go..

Just to make this sure.

How did you link your executable? Did you make 2 seperate ecos trees, one
for building the ecos loader with gdb-stubs and another tree for building
the ecos library which is linked with your application

ecosconfig new pc stubs
ecosconfig tree
make

--> this gives you the loader

than, in a different directory

ecosconfig new pc (note! no stubs here)
ecosconfig tree
make

this gives you the library to link your application with

Chris

--
Christian Plessl <cplessl@ee.ethz.ch>