* [ECOS] ecos: TCP/UDP/IP with Linux simulator
@ 2001-01-31 17:50 Brendan J Simon
From: Brendan J Simon @ 2001-01-31 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am designing a mobile robot with a wireless interface.  It will
communicate via TCP/UDP/IP to a server on a Linux host.  I want to
simulate all the robot software (including ecos with the tcp/udp/ip
stack) with ecos linux simulator.
Is this possible ?
Will the tcp/udp/ip interface simuate properly ?
Do I have to write some kind of dummy/simulation driver for the wireless
interface ?

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.

* Re: [ECOS] ecos: TCP/UDP/IP with Linux simulator
@ 2001-01-31 18:27 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-01-31 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brendan.simon; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Brendan J Simon wrote:

> I am designing a mobile robot with a wireless interface.  It will
> communicate via TCP/UDP/IP to a server on a Linux host.  I want to
> simulate all the robot software (including ecos with the tcp/udp/ip
> stack) with ecos linux simulator.
> Is this possible ?
> Will the tcp/udp/ip interface simuate properly ?
> Do I have to write some kind of dummy/simulation driver for the wireless
> interface ?

The TCP stack cannot be simulated on the linux synthetic target yet. As I
think you are hinting at, it is possible to write a "driver" that could use
linux system calls to communicate with an external process, so that eCos
thinks it is talking to an ethernet card when it isn't really. But no-one
has done that yet.

And out of interest, eCos would require work to be ported to credit card
sized PCs - the eCos PC port cannot be put into flash yet.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] ecos: TCP/UDP/IP with Linux simulator
@ 2001-01-31 19:08   ` Brendan J Simon
From: Brendan J Simon @ 2001-01-31 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: Jonathan Larmour

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> Brendan J Simon wrote:
>
>> I am designing a mobile robot with a wireless interface.  It will
>> communicate via TCP/UDP/IP to a server on a Linux host.  I want to
>> simulate all the robot software (including ecos with the tcp/udp/ip
>> stack) with ecos linux simulator.
>> Is this possible ?
>> Will the tcp/udp/ip interface simuate properly ?
>> Do I have to write some kind of dummy/simulation driver for the wireless
>> interface ?
>
> The TCP stack cannot be simulated on the linux synthetic target yet. As I
> think you are hinting at, it is possible to write a "driver" that could use
> linux system calls to communicate with an external process, so that eCos
> thinks it is talking to an ethernet card when it isn't really. But no-one
> has done that yet.
>
> And out of interest, eCos would require work to be ported to credit card
> sized PCs - the eCos PC port cannot be put into flash yet.

Looks like I'll stick to the powerpc MPC555 or MPC850 boards that I have
found.  I'm sure it wont be hard to port these since there are other
850/555 boards in eCos.

With regards to the TCP/IP thing, I'm sure I can conjour up something.
Why can't the TCP/IP stack be simulated ??  The only thing I think you
would need would be simulated physical drivers (eg. ethernet).

@ 2001-01-31 19:12     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-01-31 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brendan.simon; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> With regards to the TCP/IP thing, I'm sure I can conjour up something.
> Why can't the TCP/IP stack be simulated ??  The only thing I think you
> would need would be simulated physical drivers (eg. ethernet).

Sorry, that's what I meant.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] ecos: TCP/UDP/IP with Linux simulator
@ 2001-02-01  9:30     ` Donnat Eric
From: Donnat Eric @ 2001-02-01  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Brendan J Simon wrote:

> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
> > Brendan J Simon wrote:
> >
> >> I am designing a mobile robot with a wireless interface.  It will
> >> communicate via TCP/UDP/IP to a server on a Linux host.  I want to
> >> simulate all the robot software (including ecos with the tcp/udp/ip
> >> stack) with ecos linux simulator.
> >> Is this possible ?
> >> Will the tcp/udp/ip interface simuate properly ?
> >> Do I have to write some kind of dummy/simulation driver for the wireless
> >> interface ?
> >
> > The TCP stack cannot be simulated on the linux synthetic target yet. As I
> > think you are hinting at, it is possible to write a "driver" that could use
> > linux system calls to communicate with an external process, so that eCos
> > thinks it is talking to an ethernet card when it isn't really. But no-one
> > has done that yet.
> >

> With regards to the TCP/IP thing, I'm sure I can conjour up something.
> Why can't the TCP/IP stack be simulated ??  The only thing I think you
> would need would be simulated physical drivers (eg. ethernet).
>
> Thanks,
> Brendan Simon.

the TCP/IP thing is in IMO, surely possible. Perhaps one way is to
look at the Linux virtual ethernet device TAP (part of the VTUN project).
So, if anybody think it's wrong, I would wish him to explain us why not ...

Eric DONNAT

Silicomp Research Institute
2 avenue de Vignate, 38610 Gieres, France.
http://www.ri.silicomp.com