* [ECOS] data mem size estimation
@ 2001-01-31 22:27 Suet Fei Li
From: Suet Fei Li @ 2001-01-31 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hi everyone, is there a good way to estimate the data memory requirement for
the OS? I need to know how much memory we need. Also any hints on how to
estimate data memory requirement in general (application +OS) ? I have no
experience in this at all.

thanx a lot.

* Re: [ECOS] data mem size estimation
@ 2001-01-31 23:20 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-01-31 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suet Fei Li; +Cc: 'ecos-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Suet Fei Li wrote:

> Hi everyone, is there a good way to estimate the data memory requirement for
> the OS? I need to know how much memory we need. Also any hints on how to
> estimate data memory requirement in general (application +OS) ? I have no
> experience in this at all.

If you aren't using dynamic memory allocation at all, the answer is easy:
arm-elf-size <executable>

Of course you may still want to reduce your statically defined stack sizes.
You can use the recently added stack usage measurement functions to
influence your choice - cyg_thread_measure_stack_usage() in the kernel C
API, or pthread_measure_stack_usage() in pthreads. The obvious caveats
apply that the measurements returned are not necessarily the worst case for
the code in question - that's a judgement call up to you.

Jifl