* RE: [ECOS] "Invalid download offset" when downloading eCos
@ 2001-04-18 23:48 Daniel.Andersson
From: Daniel.Andersson @ 2001-04-18 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jlarmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi,

>Daniel.Andersson@combitechsystems.com wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using Carl's version of eCos but i cant download any code. If i try
>> then i get the below error message from gdb. I have tried downloading on
>> different locations i.e. 0x02018000 and 0x02000000 and according to the
>> manual it should be right. What else could be wrong?

From the output it looks like the spaces in the filename path are confusing
>it.

I don't think so because i have a ledblink application in the same folder
that is NOT using eCos and it works fine to download it. If i run an objdump
on my output file i get the following:

-----------clip------------
Program Header:
    LOAD off    0x00008000 vaddr 0x02000000 paddr 0x02000000 align 2**15
         filesz 0x0000a07c memsz 0x0001239c flags rwx
private flags = 0: [interworking not enabled] [APCS-32] [floats passed in
integer registers] [absolute position]
-----------clip------------

What does it mean by LOAD off 0x00008000? It seems to me that it is this
offset that isn't correct...?

Another question: Is it possitble to download an eCos application with Angel
and make it work fine or do i have to download an eCos gdb stub first.

/Daniel

* RE: [ECOS] "Invalid download offset" when downloading eCos
@ 2001-04-19  6:20 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-19  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel.Andersson, jlarmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Daniel,

> >> then i get the below error message from gdb. I have tried downloading on
> >> different locations i.e. 0x02018000 and 0x02000000 and according to the
> >> manual it should be right. What else could be wrong?
> >
>that is NOT using eCos and it works fine to download it. If i run an objdump
>on my output file i get the following:
>
>-----------clip------------
>Program Header:
>     LOAD off    0x00008000 vaddr 0x02000000 paddr 0x02000000 align 2**15
>          filesz 0x0000a07c memsz 0x0001239c flags rwx

0x8000 is nonexistent on the EB40 after the remap command. The header above
says that your image is being loaded at address 0x8000 with a _virtual_
address of 0x2000000. Check your linker script.

If you're ROMming the code, the load offset should be 0, if RAM then it
should be 0x02000000.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."

* Re: [ECOS] "Invalid download offset" when downloading eCos
@ 2001-04-19 14:27 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel.Andersson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Daniel.Andersson@combitechsystems.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >Daniel.Andersson@combitechsystems.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using Carl's version of eCos but i cant download any code. If i try
> >> then i get the below error message from gdb. I have tried downloading on
> >> different locations i.e. 0x02018000 and 0x02000000 and according to the
> >> manual it should be right. What else could be wrong?
> >
> >From the output it looks like the spaces in the filename path are confusing
> >it.
> >

> I don't think so because i have a ledblink application in the same folder
> that is NOT using eCos and it works fine to download it. If i run an objdump
> on my output file i get the following:

It just seemed odd that the output was:

Connected to ARM RDI target.
gdb.ini:3: Error in sourced command file:
Invalid download offset: files/red hat/eCos/examples/kalle.out

Which implies that it was interpreting "file/red hat
eCos/examples/kalle.out" is a download offset. But instead I suspect that
it's just the error message output that is getting garbled because of the
space in the filename.

But if you have a different app that works,certainly compare your objdump
output with that, particularly given Lewin's comments.

> Another question: Is it possitble to download an eCos application with
> Angel and make it work fine or do i have to download an eCos gdb stub
> first.

Interworking with Angel has not been a priority due to its proprietary
nature, dearth of documentation and unreliability.

But we've made it work for the PID I believe. Check through the ARM HAL for
the option CYGSEM_HAL_ARM_PID_ANGEL_BOOT to see what is involved.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] "Invalid download offset" when downloading eCos
@ 2001-04-18  8:57 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-18  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel.Andersson; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Daniel.Andersson@combitechsystems.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Carl's version of eCos but i cant download any code. If i try
> then i get the below error message from gdb. I have tried downloading on
> different locations i.e. 0x02018000 and 0x02000000 and according to the
> manual it should be right. What else could be wrong?

From the output it looks like the spaces in the filename path are confusing
it.

Jifl

* [ECOS] "Invalid download offset" when downloading eCos
@ 2001-04-18  4:02 Daniel.Andersson
From: Daniel.Andersson @ 2001-04-18  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I am using Carl's version of eCos but i cant download any code. If i try
then i get the below error message from gdb. I have tried downloading on
different locations i.e. 0x02018000 and 0x02000000 and according to the
manual it should be right. What else could be wrong?

I have built the "default" version of eCos.

Regards, Daniel

--------------clip-----------------------
administrator@CS080091 /c/program files/red hat/eCos/examples
$ make
arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=arm7tdmi                         -c -o hello.o -g -Wall
-I/ecos-work/eb40_install/include -ffunction-s
ections -fdata-sections -I/cygwin-1.1.8-2/newlib/libc/include hello.c
arm-elf-gcc -mcpu=arm7tdmi                         -nostartfiles
-L/ecos-work/eb40_install/lib -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-Ma
p -Wl,bt_mapfile.map -o hello hello.o -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib -o kalle.out

administrator@CS080091 /c/program files/red hat/eCos/examples
$ arm-elf-gdb -nw kalle.out
GNU gdb 5.0
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf"...
Angel Debug Monitor (serial) 1.04 (Advanced RISC Machines SDT 2.5) for
AT91EB40 (2.00)
Angel Debug Monitor rebuilt on Apr 07 2000 at 12:40:31
Serial Rate:   9600