* [ECOS] Advice for student project
@ 2001-08-02  1:54 Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2001-08-02  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos discussion

I have a couple of student interns assigned to work on porting our
Java((TM)-compatible) VM to eCos.  (It's being done as a student
project because that's the only way I could get the manpower: no
one here seems to regard eCos as a ``strategic'' platform).

I don't want them to get bogged down in getting eCos to run in the
first place, and we have only limited eCos expertise in-house
(hi Jeroen), so I'd like them to work on well-supported platforms.
My idea was to start with the linux synthetic target, and move
on from that to the iPAQ.  Does that sound like a good plan, or
does anyone have another kewl pocket-sized device to recommend?

And before anyone asks: the VM in question is scheduled to be
released under a BSD-ish licence later this month.

Regards

Chris Gray

VM Architect, ACUNIA

* Re: [ECOS] Advice for student project
@ 2001-08-02 10:08 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-02 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Gray; +Cc: eCos discussion

Chris Gray wrote:

> I have a couple of student interns assigned to work on porting our
> Java((TM)-compatible) VM to eCos.  (It's being done as a student
> project because that's the only way I could get the manpower: no
> one here seems to regard eCos as a ``strategic'' platform).
>
> I don't want them to get bogged down in getting eCos to run in the
> first place, and we have only limited eCos expertise in-house
> (hi Jeroen), so I'd like them to work on well-supported platforms.
> My idea was to start with the linux synthetic target, and move
> on from that to the iPAQ.  Does that sound like a good plan, or
> does anyone have another kewl pocket-sized device to recommend?

If you don't have any device dependencies (at first), the Linux synth
target is a fine place to start. The iPaq is a sexy looking choice for
demos.

> And before anyone asks: the VM in question is scheduled to be
> released under a BSD-ish licence later this month.

Now that would be interesting :-).

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Advice for student project
@ 2001-08-03  8:57   ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2001-08-03  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos discussion

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> If you don't have any device dependencies (at first), the Linux synth
> target is a fine place to start. The iPaq is a sexy looking choice for
> demos.

The iPAQ can also be seen as resembling forthcoming PDAs, 3G mobile
phones, etc..  Elsewhere in this company there are people wrestling with
WinCE / Creme in order to demonstrate our telematics framework.  I am
hoping (nay, I am confident) that we can demonstrate something which
beats that on every front, using outr own VM and eCos.

One thing we do need is IP connectivity.  IIRC the synthetic target
doesn't have that.  I'm assuming that dial-up PPP over a PCMCIA
modem on the iPAQ will work.

> > And before anyone asks: the VM in question is scheduled to be
> > released under a BSD-ish licence later this month.
>
> Now that would be interesting :-).

Very. :->

@ 2001-08-03  9:03     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-08-03  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Gray; +Cc: eCos discussion

Chris Gray wrote:

> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>

> > If you don't have any device dependencies (at first), the Linux synth
> > target is a fine place to start. The iPaq is a sexy looking choice for
> > demos.
>
> The iPAQ can also be seen as resembling forthcoming PDAs, 3G mobile
> phones, etc..  Elsewhere in this company there are people wrestling with
> WinCE / Creme in order to demonstrate our telematics framework.  I am
> hoping (nay, I am confident) that we can demonstrate something which
> beats that on every front, using outr own VM and eCos.

And a lot cheaper too (both upfront and royalty), and smaller (resource
footprint) as well as having full control over the sources.

> One thing we do need is IP connectivity.  IIRC the synthetic target
> doesn't have that.  I'm assuming that dial-up PPP over a PCMCIA
> modem on the iPAQ will work.

There isn't PPP support in eCos I'm afraid. There _is_ compact flash
ethernet support for the iPAQ however.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Advice for student project
@ 2001-08-03  9:05   ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2001-08-03  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos discussion

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> Chris Gray wrote:
> >
> > I> And before anyone asks: the VM in question is scheduled to be
> > released under a BSD-ish licence later this month.
>
> Now that would be interesting :-).

I've attached a copy of the proposed licence.  Feedback welcome.

@ 2001-08-14  0:36       ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2001-08-14  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos discussion

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> There isn't PPP support in eCos I'm afraid. There _is_ compact flash
> ethernet support for the iPAQ however.

Yes, I realised that just afterwards.  Well, 802.11 will be something to get
started with.

We have a bit of experience in porting PPP, so maybe if the guys get the VM
running real fast then they can look into that too.  (Better be careful what
I say,
since they're also subscribed to this list now ;>).

Regards

Chris Gray
VM Architect, ACUNIA