* Re: [ECOS] Re: REDBOOT QUERY
@ 2002-04-03  4:53 Kaustubh  Purandare
From: Kaustubh  Purandare @ 2002-04-03  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss, andrew.lunn

Hi,

Thank you both for your responses. But I have few doubts

1) How do u enable assertions in your build?

2) Yes I am getting both the redboot as well as eCos's address
 from DHCP. I tried changing eCos's address to manual it did not
work..

Will changing the card to 82559 help? Or I am missing any
configuration?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Kaustubh

On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 Jonathan Larmour wrote :
>Andrew Lunn wrote:
> >
> > > The bring_half_up() functions hangs during the function
>call
> > > indicated below
> > >
> > > if (ioctl(s, SIOCSIFADDR, ifrp)) /* set ifnet address */
> > >
> > > Where is the problem in the code or the NIC? As per my
>knowledge
> > > 82558 is similar to 82559.
> >
> > You need to track this call. My guess is that it calls into
>the 82559
> > driver, maybe i82559_start or i82559_init. You need to see
>what its
> > trying to do when it hangs and then work out what the 82558
>does
> > differently than the 82559. At a guess its interrupt handling.
>Redboot
> > does polled IO, where as the 'real' driver is interrupt
>driver.
>
>You should also enable assertions in your build as the driver
>does do a
>fair bit of checking. And of course a standard thing to check:
>check you
>aren't getting both RedBoot's and eCos's addresses from DHCP.
>
>Jifl
>--
>Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44
>(1223) 271062
>Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley ||
>Opinions==mine
>
>--
>Before posting, please read the FAQ:
>http://sources.redhat.com/fom/ecos

* Re: [ECOS] Re: REDBOOT QUERY
@ 2002-04-03  9:10 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-04-03  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaustubh Purandare; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Kaustubh Purandare wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you both for your responses. But I have few doubts
>
> 1) How do u enable assertions in your build?

Enabling CYGPKG_INFRA_DEBUG in ecos.ecc, or inside the infrastructure
package in the graphical config tool.

> 2) Yes I am getting both the redboot as well as eCos's address
>  from DHCP. I tried changing eCos's address to manual it did not
> work..

What didn't work? Changing the address caused some new failure (if so,
what?) or it didn't change the existing problem?

> Will changing the card to 82559 help? Or I am missing any
> configuration?

I doubt it's a card specific issue.

Jifl

* [ECOS] Re: REDBOOT QUERY
@ 2002-04-03  4:13   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-04-03  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kaustubh Purandare, ecos-discuss

@ 2002-04-03  3:09 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2002-04-03  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaustubh Purandare; +Cc: ecos-discuss, michael, jlarmour

> The bring_half_up() functions hangs during the function call
> indicated below
>
> if (ioctl(s, SIOCSIFADDR, ifrp)) /* set ifnet address */
>
> Where is the problem in the code or the NIC? As per my knowledge
> 82558 is similar to 82559.

You need to track this call. My guess is that it calls into the 82559
driver, maybe i82559_start or i82559_init. You need to see what its
trying to do when it hangs and then work out what the 82558 does
differently than the 82559. At a guess its interrupt handling. Redboot
does polled IO, where as the 'real' driver is interrupt driver.

     Andrew

* [ECOS] Re: Redboot Query
@ 2002-03-21  6:30 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-03-21  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaustubh Purandare; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Kaustubh Purandare wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use PC board for eCos (i.e. intel x86).
>
> I have created a bootable redboot floopy. The PC boots up and an
> IP address is assigned
> to it through DHCP. (lets call this PC "redboot PC").
>
> Now I want to download test programs on the "redboot PC" through
> tftp. I have installed all the necessary
> tools on my PC and I am trying to load standard test programs on
> the "redboot PC".
>
> I get following messages when I try to load the exe from the
> "redboot PC".
>
> RedBoot> load -h 192.153.1.42 -m tftp thread_gdb
> ELF images not supported
>
> If I try to load through my PC to "redboot PC" through GDB I get
> the following messages
>
> d:/test> i386-elf-gdb
> (gdb)target remote 192.153.1.50:9000
> 0x00007F38 in ?? ()
> (gdb)load thread_gdb.exe
> ignoring packet error, continuing......
> ignoring packet error, continuing......
> ignoring packet error, continuing......

The load address of your program is 0x10000. This doesn't look right. If
this is eCos v1.3.1, then switch to anonymous CVS sources.

Jifl