* [ECOS] "simulator" configuration
@ 2002-04-02  3:20 umesh jaiswal
From: umesh jaiswal @ 2002-04-02  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hi all
I have some query regarding "simulation" configuration
.

I have Arm9 simulator [Developers suite] ,I want to
configure my ecos for
Arm9 simulator.As ecos hal supports Arm's proccessors,
Can I configure ecos
 over Arm9 simulator? if yes?
 How should I proceed for that ?

Second,
         Can I use i386 simulator instead of i386
board,if so is it
 possible to debuge my application on that simulator?

umesh jaiswal

* Re: [ECOS] "simulator" configuration
@ 2002-04-02  3:58 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2002-04-02  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: umesh jaiswal; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> Second,
>          Can I use i386 simulator instead of i386
> board,if so is it
>  possible to debuge my application on that simulator?

Do you mean simulator or the synthetic target? This allows eCos to run
as a process under linux. I use this a lot for debugging, but there
are a few limitations. There is no access to hardware devices. This
means you can run the stack, but cannot bind it to an interface
(except loopback). You cannot test code which needs real hardware,
which in an deeply embedded system, tends to be the meaning of
life. You need to somehow emulate the hardware, which means more code
development, but i've found it worth while.

      Andrew

* [ECOS] ecos configuration for "simulated" target
@ 2002-04-03  3:51   ` umesh jaiswal
From: umesh jaiswal @ 2002-04-03  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss; +Cc: andrew.lunn

Hi all ..

Thanks to andrew Lunn for his reply.
 As I have the ARM9 simulator
running over the  windowNT , I want to make the
application for ARM9 using ecos, how can I proceed for
that ?
How  can I build ecos for ARM9 simulator ?I don,t
have the ARM9 board.Please help me if anybody have any
idea about it.

Regards!!

umesh

@ 2002-04-03 22:11 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-04-03 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: umesh jaiswal; +Cc: ecos-discuss

umesh jaiswal wrote:

> I have Arm9 simulator [Developers suite] ,I want to
> configure my ecos for
> Arm9 simulator.As ecos hal supports Arm's proccessors,
> Can I configure ecos over Arm9 simulator? if yes?
>  How should I proceed for that ?

You would need to port eCos to it in the same way as you'd port to a real
board. No-one has done a port to that simulator yet.

People have simulated an ARM7 PID board using SID (
http://sources.redhat.com/sid ) if that helps.

> Second, Can I use i386 simulator instead of i386
> board,if so is it possible to debuge my application on that simulator?

This has the same problem as the ARM.

It might be better to investigate the linux synthetic target as an
alternative, as Andrew Lunn was suggesting.

Jifl