* Re: [ECOS] Problem with GDB over /dev/ttyS0
       [not found] <1743ADE5.08F0326B.00067016@netscape.net>
@ 2002-04-05  6:22 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-04-05  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jyl087; +Cc: eCos discussion

[ Please keep ecos-discuss CC'd, so everyone has the benefit of replies ]

jyl087@netscape.net wrote:

> Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >jyl087@netscape.net wrote:
> >> Help..., I'm can't connect to my remote EDB7312 via the serial GDB
> >> interface. The host is Linux 7.2, running GDB 5.1.1. The target is
> >> the latest eCos, running on a EDB7312 board with RedBoot installed
> >> in Flash.
> >>
> >> The strange thing is that I can connect to the remote host via TCP:9000.
> >> Also, I can "cu" and "minicom" connect to the target to talk to the
> >> Redboot prompt. I can even connect to the target via /dev/ttyS0 when
> >> running Angel in the ROM and using "target rdi"!  However, when I
> >> use "target remote /dev/ttyS0", gdb just hangs. Also hangs when I use
> >> the Insight GUI. I've made sure to use "set remotebaud 38400" to match
> >> the setup of my board.
> >
> >If you use minicom and type something like:
> >++$g#67
> >
> >do you see anything?
>
> I see:
>    $01000000010000002c4600005000000003000000500000000000000001000000ac46000000000000

Well that does look vaguely sensible in principle. In that case try GDB
again and do "set remotedebug 1" (or "set debug remote 1" in more recent
GDBs) before doing the target remote.

> The "port" is my own EDB7312 based on EDB7xxx. Probably broken somehow.
> Does the fact that running the code via GDB is faster than running
> directly from RedBoot give a clue to the problem?

Can't see any obvious link.

Worst case is that there is a 7312 port to be released in v2.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Problem with GDB over /dev/ttyS0
@ 2002-04-05  7:38 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-04-05  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jyl087; +Cc: eCos discussion

jyl087@netscape.net wrote:

> Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> wrote:
> >jyl087@netscape.net wrote:
> >>    $01000000010000002c4600005000000003000000500000000000000001000000ac46000000000000
> >
> >Well that does look vaguely sensible in principle. In that case try GDB
> >again and do "set remotedebug 1" (or "set debug remote 1" in more recent
> >GDBs) before doing the target remote.
>
> THAT WORKED!  Thanks!

Worked?! It shouldn't have changed anything except to output some debug
info! Weird. Sounds like some sort of timing bug if this fixes it (which
potentially relates to other problems you've seen.

> By the way, is it possible to get information about eCos threads in
> GDB-Insight?  Insight gives me an error when I invoke "View->Thread-list".
> Perhaps it's my GDB/Redboot stub that's somehow broken?

It must be because this normally works.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Problem with GDB over /dev/ttyS0
@ 2002-04-03 20:30 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-04-03 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jyl087; +Cc: ecos-discuss

jyl087@netscape.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Help..., I'm can't connect to my remote EDB7312 via the serial GDB
> interface. The host is Linux 7.2, running GDB 5.1.1. The target is
> the latest eCos, running on a EDB7312 board with RedBoot installed
> in Flash.
>
> The strange thing is that I can connect to the remote host via TCP:9000.
> Also, I can "cu" and "minicom" connect to the target to talk to the
> Redboot prompt. I can even connect to the target via /dev/ttyS0 when
> running Angel in the ROM and using "target rdi"!  However, when I
> use "target remote /dev/ttyS0", gdb just hangs. Also hangs when I use
> the Insight GUI. I've made sure to use "set remotebaud 38400" to match
> the setup of my board.

If you use minicom and type something like:
++$g#67

do you see anything?

> Another odd thing... when the gdb is hung after issuing the "target
> remote" command, I can open another xterm window and "cu -l /dev/ttyS0 dir" and get the port. This obviously means that gdb hasn't even
> opened the serial port.
>
> Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Do you have read/write access to /dev/ttyS0? Perhaps GDB isn't reporting an
error.

> Also, another oddity about eCos. I can download a test program via the
> remote/TCP connection and execute it normally. However, when I download
> my test program using the RedBoot monitor and TFTP, I get a different
> result. Using a terminal emulator connected direcly to the board, I
> type "load..." and then "jump start"... The test program runs very
> slooooowly.   What's different about running the target directly from
> the hardware vs. over GDB?

Perhaps the port you are using isn't complete e.g. code sometimes requests
delays sometimes, and if the port didn't set things up right for the clock
speed, this might cause your problems.

Jifl

* [ECOS] Problem with GDB over /dev/ttyS0
@ 2002-03-25 21:17 jyl087
From: jyl087 @ 2002-03-25 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

[...]