* [ECOS] eCos Flash Driver Configuration
@ 2002-10-22 15:22 Jay Foster
From: Jay Foster @ 2002-10-22 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am trying to figure out how to specify the flash driver for an eCos
configuration.  I did this for RedBoot by adding lines to the RedBoot ecm
template file such as these:

  package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_WINBOND_W29EEXXX current ;
  package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_ARM_SNDS current ;

However, there doesn't seem to be any ecm template file for the eCos
library.  The config tool won't let me add them (it replies that hardware is
added by specifying a different template).

I went ahead and added the JFFS2 package and dependencies to my eCos
configuration and saved and built the library with no errors.  When I
compile my application and link with the eCos library, sure enough, I get
the expected undefined references to the missing flash driver routines.
One thought I had was to somehow compile the flash driver as part of my
application, but this seems incorrect.  Is there a way to add the flash
driver to the eCos library that I'm building?  I couldn't find anything in
the documentation that covered this issue.

Jay Foster

* Re: [ECOS] eCos Flash Driver Configuration
@ 2002-10-23  0:22 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2002-10-23  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Foster; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:12:52PM -0700, Jay Foster wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to specify the flash driver for an eCos
> configuration.  I did this for RedBoot by adding lines to the RedBoot ecm
> template file such as these:
>
>   package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_WINBOND_W29EEXXX current ;
>   package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_ARM_SNDS current ;
>
> However, there doesn't seem to be any ecm template file for the eCos
> library.  The config tool won't let me add them (it replies that hardware is
> added by specifying a different template).

There are two ways to do this:

1) use ecosconfig. Its less strict so allows you to add packages which
   the GUI tool says are not allowed in a configuration.

2) Edit the ecos.db file. For your target device, there will be an
   entry like this one:

target ebsa285 {
        alias { "Intel EBSA285 StrongARM board" ebsa }
        packages { CYGPKG_HAL_ARM
                   CYGPKG_HAL_ARM_EBSA285
                   CYGPKG_IO_PCI
                   CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_ARM_EBSA285
                   CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_INTEL_I82559
                   CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_EBSA285
                   CYGPKG_DEVICES_WATCHDOG_ARM_EBSA285
                   CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_EBSA285
        }
        description "
        The ebsa285 target provides the packages needed to run
        eCos on an Intel EBSA285 StrongARM board."
}

Add the two flash packages you need. Your flash will then be in all
configurations you make for the target, unless you explicitly disable
it.

        Andrew

* [ECOS] MPC555 kernel - newbie
@ 2002-10-23  3:49 ` Sérgio Duarte e Silva
From: Sérgio Duarte e Silva @ 2002-10-23  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

I am trying to run an ECOS kernel which can be found at

http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~jasmith/mpc555/docs/eCOS_mpc555.tar.gz

The problem is when I try to use cc, cygwin (www.cygwin.com) can't find
it. I've already installed all the libraries, but it doesn't work.

How can I solve this problem, to use cc with cygwin under Windows 2000?

By the way, which Ecos and Tools version should I use with this kernel?

Thanks in advance,

Sergio Duarte e Silva
www.mlap.de

* Re: [ECOS] MPC555 kernel - newbie
@ 2002-10-23  5:17   ` Bob Koninckx
       [not found]     ` <002001c27b34$0a949260$dca0ea83@mlappc28>
From: Bob Koninckx @ 2002-10-23  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sérgio Duarte e Silva; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Sergio,

Concerning the tools, just follow the instructions for powerpc targets
on the eCos web pages.

You should also consider checking out the latest CVS of eCos. My mpc555
contribution has been integrated several months ago. Gives you the
opportunity to keep pace with the latest developments of eCos and
redBoot and makes it easier for others to help you when you encounter
problems.

Last but not least, its easier to get errors fixed if you start from CVS
than from some stand-alone tarball.

Regards,
Bob

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 12:49, Sérgio Duarte e Silva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run an ECOS kernel which can be found at
>
> http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~jasmith/mpc555/docs/eCOS_mpc555.tar.gz
>
> The problem is when I try to use cc, cygwin (www.cygwin.com) can't find
> it. I've already installed all the libraries, but it doesn't work.
>
> How can I solve this problem, to use cc with cygwin under Windows 2000?
>
> By the way, which Ecos and Tools version should I use with this kernel?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sergio Duarte e Silva
> www.mlap.de
>

> --
ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma

@ 2002-10-24  1:37       ` Bob Koninckx
From: Bob Koninckx @ 2002-10-24  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sérgio Duarte e Silva; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Please, always copy the ecos-mailing list, others with similar problems
could benefit from the discussion too ...

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 10:04, Sérgio Duarte e Silva wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks for your answer!
> I followed all the mpc instructions to install and compile the enviroment
> and development tools, but it is just not working, I am having a problem
> with cygwin, and I dont know why I cant find the CC compiler. I will try it
> again today.

Which mpc instructions did you follow ? The ones you need are on

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/linux-powerpc-eabi.html for linux or
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/win-powerpc-eabi.html for windows.

As far as I know, eCos makefiles do not use the CC environment variable
but call the compiler directly which should be powerpc-eabi-gcc in this
case. As I said before, this is the case with the latest sources from
CVS. If you want to use something else, I am affraid you have to contact
the corresponding authors.

> As I am a newbie I need to make some dummy questions... What is the
> diference between Red Boot and Ecos? Just to test the kernel that I found is
> it necessary to download and build all the development tools? And.. how can
> I download everything to my development board? There is an enviroment or a
> command line to use my JTAG interface?

Since you seem to be working under windows, it should be possible to use
GDB together with a "Wiggler" BDM interface. Serial debugging is of
course also possible.

If I am not mistaken, the raven can be used under linux and windows. I
am not sure though...

> My system here is:
> ETAS development board (using PhyCORe MPC555), BDM Raven (JTAG), Codewarrior
> (Programming and Interface).

You _need_ gcc, codewarrior won't do the trick

> I was thinking if it was not possible to download the compiled projet using
> Codewarrior but I cant find nothing about this stuff.

You wont find anything because it is not possible. It is maybe a good
idea to start reading the getting started manuals :-)

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/

> Thanks in advance
> Best regards

Cheers,
Bob

@ 2002-10-24  7:27         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-10-24  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Koninckx; +Cc: Sérgio Duarte e Silva, ecos-discuss

Bob Koninckx wrote:

>>My system here is:
>>ETAS development board (using PhyCORe MPC555), BDM Raven (JTAG), Codewarrior
>>(Programming and Interface).
>

> You _need_ gcc, codewarrior won't do the trick

I'm pretty sure codewarrior _can_ be used with GCC. Now whether this is
the case *here* is for Sergio to tell us!

>>I was thinking if it was not possible to download the compiled projet using
>>Codewarrior but I cant find nothing about this stuff.
>
> You wont find anything because it is not possible. It is maybe a good
> idea to start reading the getting started manuals :-)
>

> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/

It may be best to start off with the documented tools and move to
CodeWarrior once you are sure everything else in your system is working,
so if you have any problems, you know where they are.

Jifl