* [ECOS] Redboot general and Question for EB55
@ 2002-10-24 15:08 Christophe Part
From: Christophe Part @ 2002-10-24 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to run redboot in ram on my eb55.
I think I have made all the change I need for it.
I changed the register base address for the eb55 in the plf_io.h and remove them from the var_io.h to handle the difference between the AT91M4080X and the AT91M55800A.
I have added the package for the serial IO in my target in the ecos.db file.
I changed the ram and sram memory section for eb55.

Now I have successfully download the reboot.elf on my eb55 but I am not able to see the reboot prompt.
After i have downloaded my load on the target with gdb I use the command c to start redboot and then use ^z to stop angel (maybe more gdb than angel).
Is it the correct way to start redboot in ram ?

On the Port A with minicom, I saw this $T050f:48370302;0d:18010102;#f5 each time, I hit enter.
So maybe something is working but what ?

In my ecosconfig gui tool, I can not enable the port A just the B.
Did I have to use the port B to see the redboot prompt ?

Can someone tell me how can create a minimal redboot ?
I just need to see the prompt and the basic command  answering on my serial line.
Where can I find this information ?

Thanks for your help,

Christophe

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot general and Question for EB55
@ 2002-10-24 15:16 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 16:08, Christophe Part wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run redboot in ram on my eb55.
> I think I have made all the change I need for it.
> I changed the register base address for the eb55 in the plf_io.h and remove them from the var_io.h to handle the difference between the AT91M4080X and the AT91M55800A.
> I have added the package for the serial IO in my target in the ecos.db file.
> I changed the ram and sram memory section for eb55.
>
> Now I have successfully download the reboot.elf on my eb55 but I am not able to see the reboot prompt.
> After i have downloaded my load on the target with gdb I use the command c to start redboot and then use ^z to stop angel (maybe more gdb than angel).
> Is it the correct way to start redboot in ram ?
>
> On the Port A with minicom, I saw this $T050f:48370302;0d:18010102;#f5 each time, I hit enter.
> So maybe something is working but what ?

Yes, something is working - GDB!  You had some problem in the
initialization of RedBoot and it quit at 0x02033748.  If you
connect via GDB, you can get more information, a backtrace, etc.

> In my ecosconfig gui tool, I can not enable the port A just the B.
> Did I have to use the port B to see the redboot prompt ?
>
> Can someone tell me how can create a minimal redboot ?
> I just need to see the prompt and the basic command  answering on my serial line.
> Where can I find this information ?

The simplest, RAM based RedBoot can be had via:
  % ecosconfig new eb55 redboot
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make

Note: this version won't have FLASH or networking support.
To enable those, add (before the 'tree' step)
  % ecosconfig add flash           // FLASH support
  % ecosconfig add eth_drivers     // Networking (if you have a driver)

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot general and Question for EB55
@ 2002-10-24 15:39   ` Christophe Part
From: Christophe Part @ 2002-10-24 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 24 October 2002 06:16 pm, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 16:08, Christophe Part wrote:

> > On the Port A with minicom, I saw this $T050f:48370302;0d:18010102;#f5
> > each time, I hit enter. So maybe something is working but what ?
>
> Yes, something is working - GDB!  You had some problem in the
> initialization of RedBoot and it quit at 0x02033748.  If you
> connect via GDB, you can get more information, a backtrace, etc.

I can not connect to the target with gdb.
I have tryed remote, extended-remote and extended-async.
	Ignoring packet error, continuing...
	Ignoring packet error, continuing...
	Ignoring packet error, continuing...
	Coudn etablish connection with remote target
	Malformed responce to offset query, timeout

Which is the correct target for the redboot ?

@ 2002-10-24 15:48     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2002-10-24 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 16:39, Christophe Part wrote:
> On Thursday 24 October 2002 06:16 pm, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 16:08, Christophe Part wrote:
>
> > > On the Port A with minicom, I saw this $T050f:48370302;0d:18010102;#f5
> > > each time, I hit enter. So maybe something is working but what ?
> >
> > Yes, something is working - GDB!  You had some problem in the
> > initialization of RedBoot and it quit at 0x02033748.  If you
> > connect via GDB, you can get more information, a backtrace, etc.
> >

> I can not connect to the target with gdb.
> I have tryed remote, extended-remote and extended-async.
> 	Ignoring packet error, continuing...
> 	Ignoring packet error, continuing...
> 	Ignoring packet error, continuing...
> 	Coudn etablish connection with remote target
> 	Malformed responce to offset query, timeout

First, you have to disconnect your 'minicom' (or whatever
virtual terminal sofware you are using).  Then, you should
be able to connect.  Here's an example (from Linux).

  (gdb) set remotebaud 38400
  (gdb) set remotedebug 1
  (gdb) tar rem /dev/ttyS0

You can leave the "debug" line out, once you figure out how
to make a connection.

@ 2002-10-24 21:48   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2002-10-24 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 16:08, Christophe Part wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am trying to run redboot in ram on my eb55.
>>I think I have made all the change I need for it.
>>I changed the register base address for the eb55 in the plf_io.h and remove them from the var_io.h to handle the difference between the AT91M4080X and the AT91M55800A.
>>I have added the package for the serial IO in my target in the ecos.db file.
>>I changed the ram and sram memory section for eb55.
>>
>>Now I have successfully download the reboot.elf on my eb55 but I am not able to see the reboot prompt.
>>After i have downloaded my load on the target with gdb I use the command c to start redboot and then use ^z to stop angel (maybe more gdb than angel).
>>Is it the correct way to start redboot in ram ?
>>
>>On the Port A with minicom, I saw this $T050f:48370302;0d:18010102;#f5 each time, I hit enter.
>>So maybe something is working but what ?
>>

> Yes, something is working - GDB!  You had some problem in the
> initialization of RedBoot and it quit at 0x02033748.  If you
> connect via GDB, you can get more information, a backtrace, etc.

Or at worst, you can look up 0x02033748 in the linker map for redboot. You
can generate a linker map by running the GCC link line that generates
redboot.elf again, and adding -Wl,-Map,mymapfile

Jifl