* [ECOS] Development Tools Suggestion
@ 2003-04-10  5:35 Uwe Kindler
From: Uwe Kindler @ 2003-04-10  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello,

i just would like to know wich developemen-tools eCos developers use or wich development tools you would suggest for eCos development or for porting the eCos HAL.

Do you use simple text editors for source, linker scripts and command line editing for the build process.

Or do you use Source Navigator or any other IDE (i.e. Eclipse) for eCos development. What would you suggest.

Thank you and regards, Uwe

* Re: [ECOS] Development Tools Suggestion
@ 2003-04-10  7:14 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-04-10  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kindler; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 07:35:15AM +0200, Uwe Kindler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i just would like to know wich developemen-tools eCos developers use
> or wich development tools you would suggest for eCos development or
> for porting the eCos HAL.
>
> Do you use simple text editors for source, linker scripts and
> command line editing for the build process.
>
> Or do you use Source Navigator or any other IDE (i.e. Eclipse) for
> eCos development. What would you suggest.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. Its personal preference. My
preference is emacs, ecosconfig, bash, less, gdb -nw, grep, mutt etc,
all on a Linux box. Works for me. Im sure others like 'user friendly'
GUI tools, but they are not for me.

  Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Development Tools Suggestion
@ 2003-04-10  9:36 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-04-10  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kindler; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Uwe Kindler" <uwe_kindler@web.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> i just would like to know wich developemen-tools eCos developers use
> or wich development tools you would suggest for eCos development or
> for porting the eCos HAL.
>
> Do you use simple text editors for source, linker scripts and
> command line editing for the build process.

EMACS on Linux. For debugging I run commandline GDB in emacs, which
gives me most of the useful features of a GUI without the clutter.

I also have a bunch of shell scripts to simplify the configuration and
build process. Most of which are also run from within emacs.

> Or do you use Source Navigator or any other IDE (i.e. Eclipse) for
> eCos development. What would you suggest.

I tried Source Navigator. Once. The problem with such tools is that
they get very confused by the HALs, which all define the same
symbols. There are also files in the kernel, infra, posix an C library
packages that multiply define symbols.

Integration of the configtool into an IDE such as Eclipse or KDevelop
has been considered, but only for development of user applications,
not for development of eCos itself.

* Re: [ECOS] Development Tools Suggestion
@ 2003-04-10  9:40   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2003-04-10  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: Uwe Kindler, ecos-discuss

> I tried Source Navigator. Once. The problem with such tools is that
> they get very confused by the HALs, which all define the same
> symbols. There are also files in the kernel, infra, posix an C library
> packages that multiply define symbols.

What would be nice is if the makefile could build TAGS file for
emacs. Being part of the makefile it would know which source files are
being used by a configuration and which not.

      Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Development Tools Suggestion
@ 2003-04-10 19:03     ` Bart Veer
From: Bart Veer @ 2003-04-10 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew.lunn; +Cc: ecos-discuss

    >> I tried Source Navigator. Once. The problem with such tools is
    >> that they get very confused by the HALs, which all define the
    >> same symbols. There are also files in the kernel, infra, posix
    >> an C library packages that multiply define symbols.

    Andrew> What would be nice is if the makefile could build TAGS
    Andrew> file for emacs. Being part of the makefile it would know
    Andrew> which source files are being used by a configuration and
    Andrew> which not.

Rewriting the makefile generator is already on the wishlist for a 2.1
release, there are a lot of problems with the current one - especially
when you start adding or removing packages. This should include
support for "make tags", and hopefully for building a source navigator
database as well.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect

* Re: [ECOS] Development Tools Suggestion
@ 2003-04-11 22:26   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-04-11 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Nick Garnett wrote:

> Integration of the configtool into an IDE such as Eclipse or KDevelop
> has been considered, but only for development of user applications,
> not for development of eCos itself.

I don't know about Eclipse because last I looked (a while ago) it was a
mess, but is allegedly meant to have come leaps and bounds since then....
but I see no reason why we couldn't be well integrated with KDevelop even
for eCos itself.

Jifl