* [ECOS] Problems with building Redboot for the iq80321
@ 2003-04-14  3:05 John Clark
From: John Clark @ 2003-04-14  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Previously posted to 'ecos-devel'

I have used cvs to up date my current picture of eCos. I'm attempting
to build a Redboot image for the iq80321.

Since I've not done this since iq80310, and some previous version
of Redboot, I am using the same sequence that works for that
version. I also have an old version of Redboot for the iq80321, which
works with the old version of ecosconfig.

When I attempt to use the ecosconfig built from the recent cvs'd host
sources,
I get an error on:

ecosconfig tree.

Has the build sequence chnaged in the last year (since about Feb 2002)?

And if so, what is the new way to config and build Redboot from the
cvs eCos sources.

Thanks
John Clark

* Re: [ECOS] Problems with building Redboot for the iq80321
@ 2003-04-14  9:50 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-04-14  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Clark; +Cc: ecos-discuss

John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu> writes:

> When I attempt to use the ecosconfig built from the recent cvs'd host
> sources,
> I get an error on:
>
> ecosconfig tree.

It would help if you told us what the error was.

> Has the build sequence chnaged in the last year (since about Feb 2002)?

Nope, still the same. Just for the avoidance of doubt, the sequence
is:

ecosconfig new iq80321 redboot
ecosconfig import
ecosconfig import $ECOS_REPOSITORY/packages/hal/arm/xscale/iq80321/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm
ecosconfig tree

make

I just tried it here and the RedBoot configured and built correctly
from the Version 2 sources.

It configures from the anoncvs sources, but appears not to build. It
looks like someone has checked in a bogus patch to the strata flash
driver recently.

* Re: [ECOS] Problems with building Redboot for the iq80321
@ 2003-04-14 14:06   ` John Clark
From: John Clark @ 2003-04-14 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Am Montag, 14.04.03, um 02:12 Uhr (US/Pacific) schrieb Nick Garnett:

> John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu> writes:
>
>> When I attempt to use the ecosconfig built from the recent cvs'd host
>> sources,

Here's my setup script that has worked for the previous versions of
ecosconfig with older Redboot sources. (This works with the appropriate
mods for the iq80310 or 321 and Redboot sources vintage early 2002).

#!/bin/bash

export TOPDIR=`pwd`
export ECOS_REPOSITORY=${TOPDIR}/packages
mkdir ${TOPDIR}/build
cd ${TOPDIR}/build
/usr/local/bin/ecosconfig new iq80321 redboot
/usr/local/bin/ecosconfig import
${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/hal/arm/xscale/iq80321/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm
/usr/local/bin/ecosconfig tree

(I noted that in your e-mail you have a line:

ecosconfig import

This just gives an help listing for me.

>> I get an error on:
>>
>> ecosconfig tree.
>
> It would help if you told us what the error was.

The error is pretty 'unhinful', but here's the gdb back trace when I
run ecosconfig manually with the 'tree' option in the 'build' directory
created above.

Here's the output from the script above:

Setup_iq80321
U CYGHWR_REDBOOT_ARM_LINUX_EXEC_ADDRESS_DEFAULT, new inferred value
0xA0008000
U CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR, new inferred value 0
./Setup_iq80321: line 9:   488 Segmentation fault      (core dumped)
/usr/local/bin/ecosconfig tree

Here's the gdb back trace from the last command 'ecosconfig tree", with
ECOS_REPOSITORY setup
and in the 'build' directory:

[root@linux-pc ecos]# source Setup_Env
[root@linux-pc ecos]# cd build
[root@linux-pc build]# gdb /usr/local/bin/ecosconfig
GNU gdb 5.0
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...
(gdb) run tree
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/ecosconfig tree

0x80c54d1 in basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<true, 0> >::Rep::grab ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x80c54d1 in basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<true, 0> >::Rep::grab ()
#1  0x80c5144 in basic_string<char, string_char_traits<char>,
__default_alloc_template<true, 0> >::basic_string ()
#2  0x80cac80 in CdlBuildInfo_Loadable::CdlBuildInfo_Loadable ()
#3  0x80ca66b in void construct<CdlBuildInfo_Loadable,
CdlBuildInfo_Loadable> ()
#4  0x80e31aa in vector<CdlBuildInfo_Loadable,
allocator<CdlBuildInfo_Loadable> >::_M_insert_aux ()
#5  0x80e26a2 in vector<CdlBuildInfo_Loadable,
allocator<CdlBuildInfo_Loadable> >::push_back ()
#6  0x80930bc in CdlBuildLoadableBody::update_build_info ()
#7  0x809754a in CdlToplevelBody::get_build_info ()
#8  0x80565a6 in generate_build_tree ()
#9  0x805052a in cdl_exec::cmd_tree ()
#10 0x804d855 in main ()
#11 0x40132b65 in __libc_start_main (main=0x804caec <main>, argc=2,
ubp_av=0xbffffa14, init=0x804c44c <_init>, fini=0x80f5d1c <_fini>,
     rtld_fini=0x4000df24 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0xbffffa0c) at
../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:111
(gdb)

The version of ecosconfig was cvs'd from the source.redhat.com archive
this weekend.

The --version option gives:

[root@linux-pc build]# /usr/local/bin/ecosconfig --version
ecosconfig 2.net (Apr 14 2003 08:28:24)
Copyright (c) 2002 Red Hat, Inc.

Also my older ecosconfig does not work on the current cvs soruces, it
bombs early on
with some sort of syntax error in parsing  the cdls at some point.

Perhaps if there is a known 'working' snapshot of the source I could
see if there is just
some stupid error in the cvs'd images.

Thank You

@ 2003-04-14 15:17 ` John Clark
From: John Clark @ 2003-04-14 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Clark; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Am Sonntag, 13.04.03, um 20:05 Uhr (US/Pacific) schrieb John Clark:

> I have used cvs to up date my current picture of eCos. I'm attempting
> to build a Redboot image for the iq80321.

Follow up. I re-did the cvs operation for ecos and host this morning.
Rebuilt the ecosconfig from that new set of sources.

I was then able to go through the steps to create the iq80321
directory... next problem is that my xscale tool chain is different
than 'arm-elf'.

* Re: [ECOS] Problems with building Redboot for the iq80321
@ 2003-04-14 16:02   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-04-14 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Clark; +Cc: ecos-discuss

John Clark wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 13.04.03, um 20:05 Uhr (US/Pacific) schrieb John Clark:
>

>> I have used cvs to up date my current picture of eCos. I'm attempting
>> to build a Redboot image for the iq80321.
>

> Follow up. I re-did the cvs operation for ecos and host this morning.
> Rebuilt the ecosconfig from that new set of sources.

It did look a lot like there was something wrong with your sources.

> I was then able to go through the steps to create the iq80321
> directory... next problem is that my xscale tool chain is different than
> 'arm-elf'.

Edit the CYGBLD_GLOBAL_PREFIX configuration option in ecos.ecc before you
do the ecosconfig tree.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Problems with building Redboot for the iq80321
@ 2003-04-14 17:08     ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-04-14 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Clark; +Cc: jld, ecos-discuss

John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Am Montag, 14.04.03, um 02:12 Uhr (US/Pacific) schrieb Nick Garnett:
>
> > John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu> writes:
> >
> >> When I attempt to use the ecosconfig built from the recent cvs'd host
> >> sources,
>
> Here's my setup script that has worked for the previous versions of
> ecosconfig with older Redboot sources. (This works with the appropriate
> mods for the iq80310 or 321 and Redboot sources vintage early 2002).
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> export TOPDIR=`pwd`
> export ECOS_REPOSITORY=${TOPDIR}/packages
> mkdir ${TOPDIR}/build
> cd ${TOPDIR}/build
> /usr/local/bin/ecosconfig new iq80321 redboot
> /usr/local/bin/ecosconfig import
> ${ECOS_REPOSITORY}/hal/arm/xscale/iq80321/current/misc/redboot_ROM.ecm
> /usr/local/bin/ecosconfig tree

This looks OK. (Assuming the line break after "import" is a mailer artefact).

> (I noted that in your e-mail you have a line:
>
> ecosconfig import
>
> This just gives an help listing for me.

Oops. That should not have been there.

> >> I get an error on:
> >>
> >> ecosconfig tree.
> >
> > It would help if you told us what the error was.
>
> The error is pretty 'unhinful', but here's the gdb back trace when I
> run ecosconfig manually with the 'tree' option in the 'build'
> directory created above.
>
> Here's the output from the script above:
>
> Setup_iq80321
> U CYGHWR_REDBOOT_ARM_LINUX_EXEC_ADDRESS_DEFAULT, new inferred value
> 0xA0008000
> U CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR, new inferred value 0
> ./Setup_iq80321: line 9:   488 Segmentation fault      (core dumped)
> /usr/local/bin/ecosconfig tree

Ah. That's a whole different ballgame then. It looks like there might
be some incompatibility between ecosconfig and whatever version of
Linux you are running. It is strange that it only fails on the "tree"
invocation and not on the previous two, though.

This is not my area of expertise, John Dallaway can probably help you
better with this.

> Perhaps if there is a known 'working' snapshot of the source I could
> see if there is just
> some stupid error in the cvs'd images.

The version 2 beta release should have both a working ecosconfig and a
consistent source tree. You could try downloading that just to do a
sanity check. It even has the latest Atlas changes in it.