* [ECOS] Anyone tried to integrate ARM's MP3 playback code?
@ 2001-02-05 20:06 Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-05 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Has anyone successfully integrated ARM's reference [binary] MP3 decoder
into eCos?

I don't want detailed code [well, I do, but I'm not asking for it] - I'd
just like an indication of whether it can be done, so I can decide whether
to try or just write my own implementation based on the ISO sources.
=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] Anyone tried to integrate ARM's MP3 playback code?
@ 2001-02-06  0:22 ` Martin van Veen
From: Martin van Veen @ 2001-02-06  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, ecos-discuss

Hi Lewin,

--- "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully integrated ARM's reference [binary] MP3
> decoder into eCos? I don't want detailed code [well, I do, but I'm
> not asking for it] - I'd just like an indication of whether it can
> be done, so I can decide whether to try or just write my own
> implementation based on the ISO sources.

If you mean the ARM MPEG-2 Audio Layer III Decoder library, then I
can tell you that we currently busy integrating it. The nasty thing
about this library is that it expects the data to be big endian,
while the data is stored little endian.

This means endian swap before playing, which is easy when you're
using 32kHz and 48kHz files. 44.1kHz files are more of a promblem,
since its frame size can vary (1040 or 1041 bytes). As a result of
this you have to watch out that you do not swap the sync word of
the next frame.

Success,
Martin

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

* Re: [ECOS] Anyone tried to integrate ARM's MP3 playback code?
@ 2001-02-06  6:09   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-06  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin van Veen, ecos-discuss

Hi Martin,

> > Has anyone successfully integrated ARM's reference [binary] MP3
> > decoder into eCos? I don't want detailed code [well, I do, but I'm
>
>If you mean the ARM MPEG-2 Audio Layer III Decoder library, then I

Yes, that's the one.

>can tell you that we currently busy integrating it. The nasty thing
>about this library is that it expects the data to be big endian,
>while the data is stored little endian.

Thanks for the information; very useful. The major thing is, I'm glad to
hear that it links properly with eCos without a bunch of unresolved
externals (usually my fate when using a third-party binary library).