* [ECOS] Problem building latest gcc
@ 2001-02-05 16:31 Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-05 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I _REALLY_ want to try to get ARM Thumb support working, so I downloaded
the latest gcc snapshot, configured it as per
sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/win-thumb-elf.html, and then tried to make
it. Unfortunately it died a short way into the make process, with the
following [abbreviated!] make.out. I killed it when it had created about
260K of the following garbage. Any ideas on this? :(

make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/build/gcc/gcc'
Expect 33 shift/reduce conflicts and 58 reduce/reduce conflicts.
cd /src/gcc/gcc-20010205/gcc/cp; bison  -d -o p$$.c parse.y ; \
grep '^#define[         ]*YYEMPTY' p$$.c >> p$$.h ; \
mv -f p$$.c parse.c ; mv -f p$$.h parse.h
parse.y:21: unknown character: \15
parse.y:21:    Skipping to next %
parse.y:220: unknown character: \15
parse.y:220:    Skipping to next %
parse.y:222: unknown character: \15
parse.y:222:    Skipping to next %
parse.y:231: unknown character: \15
=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] Problem building latest gcc
@ 2001-02-06  5:21 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-02-06  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

> I _REALLY_ want to try to get ARM Thumb support working, so I downloaded
> the latest gcc snapshot, configured it as per
> sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/win-thumb-elf.html, and then tried to make
> it. Unfortunately it died a short way into the make process, with the
> following [abbreviated!] make.out. I killed it when it had created about
> 260K of the following garbage. Any ideas on this? :(
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/build/gcc/gcc'
> Expect 33 shift/reduce conflicts and 58 reduce/reduce conflicts.
> cd /src/gcc/gcc-20010205/gcc/cp; bison  -d -o p$$.c parse.y ; \
> grep '^#define[         ]*YYEMPTY' p$$.c >> p$$.h ; \
> mv -f p$$.c parse.c ; mv -f p$$.h parse.h
> parse.y:21: unknown character: \15
> parse.y:21:    Skipping to next %
> parse.y:220: unknown character: \15
> parse.y:220:    Skipping to next %
> parse.y:222: unknown character: \15
> parse.y:222:    Skipping to next %
> parse.y:231: unknown character: \15

Perhaps the version of bison you are using does not correspond to what GCC
developers expect? Otherwise follow up on gcc@gcc.gnu.org methinks.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Problem building latest gcc
@ 2001-02-06  6:13   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-06  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > I _REALLY_ want to try to get ARM Thumb support working, so I downloaded
>
>Perhaps the version of bison you are using does not correspond to what GCC
>developers expect? Otherwise follow up on gcc@gcc.gnu.org methinks.

Well, I was working on the assumption that somewhere, at some time,
somebody using eCos has generated a toolchain for Thumb.

I think I'll give up on this again for the time being; it's probably the
one truly frustrating part of eCos development.

@ 2001-02-06  6:50     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-02-06  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

> > > I _REALLY_ want to try to get ARM Thumb support working, so I downloaded
> >
> >Perhaps the version of bison you are using does not correspond to what GCC
> >developers expect? Otherwise follow up on gcc@gcc.gnu.org methinks.
>
> Well, I was working on the assumption that somewhere, at some time,
> somebody using eCos has generated a toolchain for Thumb.

It's a moving target! We can't QA toolchains every time someone checks in a
new change to gcc.

Have you checked your version of bison? The latest is 1.28.

I will try a build myself with the bison on my system (1.25) and see if it
fails in the same way.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Problem building latest gcc
@ 2001-02-06  7:12       ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-06  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > Well, I was working on the assumption that somewhere, at some time,
> > somebody using eCos has generated a toolchain for Thumb.
>
>It's a moving target! We can't QA toolchains every time someone checks in a
>new change to gcc.

Fully understood and agreed, Jonathan - my problem/complaint/whinge here is
that the install instructions imply that "a snapshot" should work but they
don't give enough information. At the last time I printed the install page
a couple of days ago, there was a _specific_ snapshot mentioned that
did/does not work (20001103 I think? Anyway, I've mentioned it on this list
a couple of times).

If a particular configuration isn't tested, and isn't known to work, then
I'm entitled to get a tad peeved if I read an official installation
document that implies otherwise.

If it is tested, and known to work, then somebody, somewhere must know what
magic must be checked out of CVS, and this information ought to be in the
install instructions, surely?

If the Windows install page just said something like "The old version of
gcc had separate arm and arm-thumb backends, and this was the version that
was tested with cygwin for eCos use. To get this version, you can checkout
snapshot date xxxxxxxx. Current versions have merged the two backends and
we are not aware of a specific snapshot that can be built under cygwin at
this time", I would be dancing naked in the forest from sheer joy. (No, I
won't send pictures).

If it simply said "There is no known/supported way to build the thumb tools
under Cygwin at this time" then I would be not so happy but at least
accurately informed, and I wouldn't have any complaint to make.

Do you see where I'm coming from on this?