* [ECOS] Building dl_edb7xxx for cygwin?
@ 2001-03-26  7:59 Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-03-26  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Since I now have to run in WinNT, I can't use the Cirrus flash downloader
app to get my ROM-built eCos app onto my board. What do I need to do in
order to get Red Hat's port to build inside cygwin? If I just try "make" I
get the following:

gcc    -c -o dl_edb7xxx.o dl_edb7xxx.c
dl_edb7xxx.c: In function `main':
dl_edb7xxx.c:64: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
gcc    -c -o io.o io.c
io.c: In function `CharReady':
io.c:139: `FIONREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
io.c:139: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
io.c:139: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [io.o] Error 1
=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* Re: [ECOS] Building dl_edb7xxx for cygwin?
@ 2001-03-26  8:19 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-03-26  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

> Since I now have to run in WinNT, I can't use the Cirrus flash downloader
> app to get my ROM-built eCos app onto my board.

They don't provide a flash downloader that works in NT? Poor.

> What do I need to do in
> order to get Red Hat's port to build inside cygwin? If I just try "make" I
> get the following:
>
> gcc    -c -o dl_edb7xxx.o dl_edb7xxx.c
> dl_edb7xxx.c: In function `main':
> dl_edb7xxx.c:64: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
> gcc    -c -o io.o io.c
> io.c: In function `CharReady':
> io.c:139: `FIONREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
> io.c:139: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> io.c:139: for each function it appears in.)

I think you may be able to get away with changing CharReady to always
return 1, at the expense of it being in a busy loop.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Building dl_edb7xxx for cygwin?
@ 2001-03-26  8:42   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-03-26  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > Since I now have to run in WinNT, I can't use the Cirrus flash downloader
> > app to get my ROM-built eCos app onto my board.
>
>They don't provide a flash downloader that works in NT? Poor.

Ummm... remember how much I gripe about cygwin not working properly inside
Win9x? It is SOP for chip vendors not to supply tools for anything other
than DOS, since in DOS you have real hardware access. It so happens that
many of these tools also work inside a DOS box in Win9x. Most of them do
not work inside WinNT and that is why I would like to see cygwin and the
eCos configuration tool work fully inside Win9x. But "whatever"... this is
not my problem right now :)

> > io.c:139: `FIONREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
>I think you may be able to get away with changing CharReady to always
>return 1, at the expense of it being in a busy loop.

This doesn't work, because dl_edb7xxx.c flushes the input queue with:

while (CharReady(lPort))
{
cChar = ReceiveChar(lPort);
}

This code hangs with your suggested change.

If I comment out that "flush input queue" code (it occurs twice in
dl_edb7xxx.c) I get something that looks like it's working but I'm not sure
if it really is (for instance, the "loading code" count doesn't get to 100%
and the board doesn't boot after the download is complete).

Experimenting some more here... will post results.

BTW, I've given up again on trying to build thumb-supporting gcc so I can't
try to reproduce the eCos build error with thumb enabled. The people on the
gcc list don't really know either.

I really do suggest you update the Windows install instructions for eCos to
state that current gcc snapshots can't be compiled in cygwin right now and
therefore the thumb target isn't supported on that dev host... it would
save others the hours of experimentation I've tried.

@ 2001-03-26 11:11     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-03-26 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

> > > io.c:139: `FIONREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
> >
> >I think you may be able to get away with changing CharReady to always
> >return 1, at the expense of it being in a busy loop.
>
> This doesn't work, because dl_edb7xxx.c flushes the input queue with:
>
> while (CharReady(lPort))
> {
> cChar = ReceiveChar(lPort);
> }
>
> This code hangs with your suggested change.
>
> If I comment out that "flush input queue" code (it occurs twice in
> dl_edb7xxx.c) I get something that looks like it's working but I'm not sure
> if it really is (for instance, the "loading code" count doesn't get to 100%
> and the board doesn't boot after the download is complete).

IIRC the loading code never reaches 100% even when it works.

> I really do suggest you update the Windows install instructions for eCos to
> state that current gcc snapshots can't be compiled in cygwin right now

Or I could spend the time to try and track down the bug. What list were you
discussing it with gcc folks on? I had a look and couldn't find it...

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] Building dl_edb7xxx for cygwin?
@ 2001-03-26 11:13       ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-03-26 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > dl_edb7xxx.c) I get something that looks like it's working but I'm not sure
> > if it really is (for instance, the "loading code" count doesn't get to 100%
> > and the board doesn't boot after the download is complete).
>
>IIRC the loading code never reaches 100% even when it works.

Bug in the image I was downloading... see other message :)

> > I really do suggest you update the Windows install instructions for eCos to
> > state that current gcc snapshots can't be compiled in cygwin right now
>
>Or I could spend the time to try and track down the bug. What list were you
>discussing it with gcc folks on? I had a look and couldn't find it...

gcc-help - I had several replies, but nothing has worked so far. I've got
much further than previously, but still have weird unsolvable problems. It
LOOKS like a text-mode issue in some intermediate file, but darned if I can
find/fix it...