* [ECOS] UPnP and Ecos
@ 2001-04-12  4:17 jean-luc.philippe
From: jean-luc.philippe @ 2001-04-12  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,

I'm evaluating the port of UPnP SDK from Intel on an embedding Linux like Ecos
probably for a ARM7 Samsung target.

Does anyone have an idea of the difficulty to port this ?

Are the different protocol available on Ecos ?
BOOTP, DHCP-Client, AUTO-IP, ARP for Addressing on IP.

Thank's a lot for help

Jean-Luc

* Re: [ECOS] UPnP and Ecos
@ 2001-04-12  5:42 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-12  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jean-luc.philippe; +Cc: ecos-discuss

jean-luc.philippe@mgeups.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm evaluating the port of UPnP SDK from Intel on an embedding Linux like Ecos
> probably for a ARM7 Samsung target.

(Note: eCos is not Linux, although many of the APIs are compatible). If
you're going to use existing code to start the port, make sure the licence
of that code permits it! It may have restrictions on use, and/or
restrictions on redistribution.

> Does anyone have an idea of the difficulty to port this ?
>
> Are the different protocol available on Ecos ?
> BOOTP, DHCP-Client, AUTO-IP, ARP for Addressing on IP.

All those except AUTO-IP.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] UPnP and Ecos
@ 2001-04-12  5:56 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-12  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jean-luc.philippe, ecos-discuss

>I'm evaluating the port of UPnP SDK from Intel on an embedding Linux like Ecos
>probably for a ARM7 Samsung target.

It's quite complicated; eCos has MOST of the underlying requirements but
the port isn't simple. If you can afford to do so, WAIT and work on
polishing other parts of your product. Microsoft is working on a
"standalone" UPnP implementation. They keep promising and re-promising and
pushing the date further into the future, but it is coming eventually (we
will not consider attempting to implement anything UPnP until this SDK
addition is released).

Wait-and-see also lets you avoid implementing it if it all implodes before
market-time. A couple of major players pulled out, and in other fields
there are upcoming and/or recently-announced competing standards that will
probably be better supported for some time. Unless you REALLY need a UPnP
logo on your box in Q4'01 or Q1'02 (I hope you have more selling points
than that.... :) a good strategy to pursue is enthusiastic talk only, since
that's what everyone else is doing.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."

* Re: [ECOS] UPnP and Ecos
@ 2001-04-12  6:26   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-12  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour, jean-luc.philippe; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > BOOTP, DHCP-Client, AUTO-IP, ARP for Addressing on IP.
>
>All those except AUTO-IP.

AutoIP is simple and definitely implementable within eCos (though I think
of little value in adding to the base OS). It essentially consists of
picking an IP address and pinging it to see if someone else owns it. If no,
then you squat on that address.

@ 2001-04-12  9:05   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-12  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: jean-luc.philippe, ecos-discuss

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

> >I'm evaluating the port of UPnP SDK from Intel on an embedding Linux like Ecos
> >probably for a ARM7 Samsung target.
>
> It's quite complicated; eCos has MOST of the underlying requirements but
> the port isn't simple. If you can afford to do so, WAIT and work on
> polishing other parts of your product. Microsoft is working on a
> "standalone" UPnP implementation. They keep promising and re-promising and
> pushing the date further into the future, but it is coming eventually (we
> will not consider attempting to implement anything UPnP until this SDK
> addition is released).

Is this "coming eventually" like the Microsoft port of ActiveX to Linux?
:-)

And would it be free/open source/royalty free?

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] UPnP and Ecos
@ 2001-04-12  9:19     ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-12  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: jean-luc.philippe, ecos-discuss

> > polishing other parts of your product. Microsoft is working on a
> > "standalone" UPnP implementation. They keep promising and re-promising and
>
>Is this "coming eventually" like the Microsoft port of ActiveX to Linux?
>:-)

LOL. Let me put it like this: Every teleconference and in-person meeting of
our working group within UPnP, if a MS guy is present I poke him for it,
and I bitch and complain at every opportunity. I've also spoken a couple of
times to the actual guy at MS who would be responsible for it (whether that
means he'd be coding it personally or not, I don't know). It's always
"coming soon". Well, our UPnP-supporting product is "coming soon" too.

Recently someone announced on one of the UPnP lists that they have
developed a standalone UPnP implementation tested on WinME, so my thought
is that MS would be best to acquire that and rebadge it (I haven't
inspected the original poster's product, it may be that their definition of
"standalone" is nothing close to mine. My definition is "compiles and runs
on any system that has standard BSD socket calls").

>And would it be free/open source/royalty free?

I haven't seen any licensing for this part, I guess it would be covered
under the same license as the current beta SDK (a product I bet never goes
out of beta).

UPnP has lost a fair amount of momentum, and frankly most of the
interaction models and proposals are utopian nonsense. I won't say it will
never happen, but it is a certainty that today's average consumer doesn't
want even a tiny fraction of UPnP's complexity. And the money for appliance
sales is in average consumers, not gadget mavens.

@ 2001-04-12 10:55       ` Dan Conti
From: Dan Conti @ 2001-04-12 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Don't you see the correlation between people taking a wait-and-see attitude
and UPnP losing momentum? It's a chicken and egg argument, you dont want to
develop UPnP support until microsoft has desktop support, but why would
microsoft want to provide desktop support for something that device
companies aren't committed to? Whether or not it is apparent now, UPnP is a
Good Thing, and will soon be a necessary thing.

-Dan

* RE: [ECOS] UPnP and Ecos
@ 2001-04-12 11:40         ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-12 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Conti, ecos-discuss

>Don't you see the correlation between people taking a wait-and-see attitude
>and UPnP losing momentum?

First: Why should I care? _I_ am not trying to sell UPnP. Microsoft is.
UPnP exists for political reasons, as I'm sure you're aware.

>companies aren't committed to? Whether or not it is apparent now, UPnP is a
>Good Thing, and will soon be a necessary thing.

Desktop support? I am talking about an SDK that does not rely on all sorts
of miscellaneous OS support. I am talking about an embedded-friendly SDK
that does not assume Windows CE on the appliance!

UPnP isn't even an "also-ran" at this point, it is a "maybe-ran" and it
will not be necessary for any device that doesn't seek Windows logo
licensing in the foreseeable future. It will be at least 2-3 years before
there is a significant population of products containing UPnP.

For our particular product category, given all the _REAL_ feedback we have
from _REAL_ users (not B.S. marketing studies from people paid to "prove" a
particular result) UPnP is a distraction. It will never be a core feature.
Users are not advanced enough to grasp, let alone use, the utopian ideal of
UPnP. If MS wants to undertake a long re-education process, then good luck
- call me back when it's over and people are actually willing to pay for
the technology.

Further comments off-list please!