* [ECOS] eCos API
@ 2001-04-18 21:00 james chen
From: james chen @ 2001-04-18 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

      Hi, many RTOS e.g. WinCE, Paml, etc. allow user to use it's API to
develop applications and download it to it's system. Now I want to support
it. but don't know how to do it.  in eCos install/lib directory, there are
two libraries. but it is used to link whole system. if we use it to link
user applications, the applications is very large and we will have many eCos
Kernels in platform, and it will won't run correctly( I think so :-) ). so
another library is needed, this library only contains C library API and
kernel API(not the kernel core). Will anyone tell me how to do it? thanks in
advance.

Regards,
james chen

* Re: [ECOS] eCos API
@ 2001-04-18 21:37 ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-18 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james chen, ecos-discuss

>      Hi, many RTOS e.g. WinCE, Paml, etc. allow user to use it's API to
>develop applications and download it to it's system. Now I want to support

eCos does not support user-installable applications. It is a monolithic,
statically-linked OS+application.

There are various proprietary ways to solve this, depending on your needs.
For instance, we have developed a _very_ simple executable file format for
our platform to allow third parties to develop "plugins" for the OS.
However these plugins have no access to the eCos APIs and in fact the same
plugin API is implemented both on the eCos and non-eCos products. We have a
jump table at a known location in ROM, and a few system variables at known
locations in RAM, and that's how "plugins" access APIs (filesystem stuff
mostly) in our application. It is all very modal - our application runs
entirely in a single thread, and when a "plugin" is executed, control of
the system is surrendered entirely to that plugin - i.e. the application
jumps into the plugin.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"... a man who is endowed with real qualities of leadership will be tempted
to refrain from taking part in political life; because [...] the situation
does not call for a man who has a capacity for constructive statesmanship
but rather for a man who is capable of bargaining for the favour of the
majority. Thus the situation will appeal to small minds and will attract
them accordingly."

* Re: [ECOS] eCos API
@ 2001-04-19  7:43   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-04-19  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: james chen, ecos-discuss

> >      Hi, many RTOS e.g. WinCE, Paml, etc. allow user to use it's API to
> >develop applications and download it to it's system. Now I want to support
>
> eCos does not support user-installable applications. It is a
> monolithic, statically-linked OS+application.

Exactly.  If you need to support the dynamic loading of
applications, then eCos is probably not a good choice for OS.
You might want to look at uCLinux -- I presume it does dynamic

Developing a dynamic linker/loader for eCos would take a fair
amount of work -- especially if you wanted applications to
share run-time libraries.  If all you wanted was a
position-independant way to make system calls, that wouldn't be
quite as bad.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] eCos API
@ 2001-04-19 23:50     ` Fredrik Hederstierna
From: Fredrik Hederstierna @ 2001-04-19 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, james chen, ecos-discuss

We have developed a dynamical loader for applications in the ELF file format. It
works very well I think!

Best Regards,
Fredrik Hederstierna
WeSpot AB
SWEDEN

Grant Edwards wrote:

> > >      Hi, many RTOS e.g. WinCE, Paml, etc. allow user to use it's API to
> > >develop applications and download it to it's system. Now I want to support
> >
> > eCos does not support user-installable applications. It is a
> > monolithic, statically-linked OS+application.
>
> Exactly.  If you need to support the dynamic loading of
> applications, then eCos is probably not a good choice for OS.
> You might want to look at uCLinux -- I presume it does dynamic
>
> Developing a dynamic linker/loader for eCos would take a fair
> amount of work -- especially if you wanted applications to
> share run-time libraries.  If all you wanted was a
> position-independant way to make system calls, that wouldn't be
> quite as bad.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards
> grante@visi.com

* Re: [ECOS] eCos API
@ 2001-04-19 23:57   ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2001-04-19 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: james chen, ecos-discuss

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" wrote:

> >      Hi, many RTOS e.g. WinCE, Paml, etc. allow user to use it's API to
> >develop applications and download it to it's system. Now I want to support
>
> eCos does not support user-installable applications. It is a monolithic,
> statically-linked OS+application.
>
> There are various proprietary ways to solve this, depending on your needs.

One interesting case is the one where the application includes a Java(TM)
compatible Virtual Machine (I think that's the approved formula; doubtless
Sun's lawyers will tell me if it isn't).  Is anyone doing this with eCos, or
would be interested in doing so?

Chris Gray

VM Architect, ACUNIA
(draw your own conclusions)

* Re: [ECOS] eCos API
@ 2001-04-20  0:06     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2001-04-20  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Gray; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Chris Gray wrote:

> One interesting case is the one where the application includes a Java(TM)
> compatible Virtual Machine (I think that's the approved formula; doubtless
> Sun's lawyers will tell me if it isn't).  Is anyone doing this with eCos, or
> would be interested in doing so?

We've been wanting to hook up with GCJ's bytecode interpreter for a while
now, but noone has sponsored the work :-/. That would be the ideal way to
go though.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] eCos API
@ 2001-04-20  6:22     ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-04-20  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Gray; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > eCos does not support user-installable applications. It is a monolithic,
> > statically-linked OS+application.
>
>One interesting case is the one where the application includes a Java(TM)
>compatible Virtual Machine (I think that's the approved formula; doubtless

Question: If the only reason you want to support dynamic executable loading
is to load a JVM, then why don't you just roll the JVM into the
"monolithic, statically-linked OS+application"?

>VM Architect, ACUNIA
>(draw your own conclusions)

(sotto voce) concludes: "This person works for an acronym I don't know" :)

@ 2001-04-19  1:01 Nielsen Linus
From: Nielsen Linus @ 2001-04-19  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

>       Hi, many RTOS e.g. WinCE, Paml, etc. allow user to use
> it's API to
> develop applications and download it to it's system. Now I
> want to support
> it. but don't know how to do it.

As far as I know there is no support for dynamic loading of
applications in eCOS.

(But I do think it's kind of unfair to call WinCE and PalmOS
RTOS'es. They do not play in the same league as eCOS, and are
not targetted at the same type of applications. They could
surely be called "embedded OS" but certainly not RTOS.)

I an earlier project, not with eCOS though, we developed a
separate API that wrapped the OS functionality using a
jump table on a fixed address. Using that, we could load
applications on the fly that called our functions via the
jump table.

/Linus