* [ECOS] C++ Support
@ 2005-05-19 15:08 Raghavendra K
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Raghavendra K @ 2005-05-19 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

Do we get STL support on ecos ( like vectors, queues etc).  Also, we were trying out
a simple application using iostream.h but ended up getting lot of errors during compilation.
So we would like to know to what extent C++ is supported on ecos.

Thanks,
Ragh

* [ECOS] setting up SLIP/PPP incoming connections
@ 2005-05-19 15:58 ` Gonçalo Antunes
From: Gonçalo Antunes @ 2005-05-19 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi to all!

I'm trying to setup an eCos application on a i386 pc.
This application will  focus on serving info throught the eCos HTTP server.
The ethernet component is OK... but I would also like to put up running a
SLIP or PPP server and serve the ecos webpage through it.
Can anyone help me on setting up the PPP server ? Which net Stack do you
recommend?

Thank you very much.

Gonçalo

* [ECOS] setting up SLIP/PPP incoming connections
@ 2005-05-19 19:40 ` Gonçalo Antunes
From: Gonçalo Antunes @ 2005-05-19 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi to all!

I'm trying to setup an eCos application on a i386 pc.
This application will  focus on serving info throught the eCos HTTP server.
The ethernet component is OK... but I would also like to put up running a
SLIP or PPP server and serve the ecos webpage through it.
Can anyone help me on setting up the PPP server ? Which net Stack do you
recommend?

Thank you very much.

Gonçalo

* Re: [ECOS] setting up SLIP/PPP incoming connections
@ 2005-05-20  2:14   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2005-05-20  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gonçalo Antunes; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Gonçalo Antunes <gmma@gmma.net> writes:

> Hi to all!
>
> I'm trying to setup an eCos application on a i386 pc.
> This application will  focus on serving info throught the eCos HTTP server.
> The ethernet component is OK... but I would also like to put up
> running a SLIP or PPP server and serve the ecos webpage through it.
> Can anyone help me on setting up the PPP server ? Which net Stack do
> you recommend?

PPP only works with the FreeBSD stack.

To set it up, just follow the instructions in the documentation:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/ppp.html

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts

* Re: [ECOS] setting up SLIP/PPP incoming connections
@ 2005-05-20  8:17     ` Gonçalo Antunes
From: Gonçalo Antunes @ 2005-05-20  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: ecos-discuss

I understand that PPP only works with FreeBSD stack... but I would like to
know if there is a way to put the eCos application to wait for PPP
connections. I want eCos to be the PPP server, not the client... is it
possible?
If not possible... is SLIP avaiable?

Thank you.

Gonçalo

> I'm trying to setup an eCos application on a i386 pc.
> This application will  focus on serving info throught the eCos HTTP
> server.
> The ethernet component is OK... but I would also like to put up
> running a SLIP or PPP server and serve the ecos webpage through it.
> Can anyone help me on setting up the PPP server ? Which net Stack do
> you recommend?

PPP only works with the FreeBSD stack.

To set it up, just follow the instructions in the documentation:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/ppp.html

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts

* [ECOS] Re: C++ Support
@ 2005-05-20  9:50 ` Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2005-05-20  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghavendra K; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 18:52 +0530, Raghavendra K wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we get STL support on ecos ( like vectors, queues etc).  Also, we were trying out
> a simple application using iostream.h but ended up getting lot of errors during compilation.
> So we would like to know to what extent C++ is supported on ecos.

I'm using both STLport and libstdc++ w/eCos.

It isn't supported out of the box, but it isn't too hard to get it
working and I haven't seen any problems once up and running.

The instructions are a bit crude and there are some somewhat
questionable steps due to newlib/eCos issues, but you can always buy the
eCosPro kit if you want something that is fully tested and works out of
the box :-)

http://www.zylin.com/libstdc++.html
http://www.zylin.com/stlport.html

For the libstdc++ stuff I submitted a patch to eCos w.r.t. some issues
with using C++ early in eCos startup, but it didn't receive any comments
so far:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-patches/2005-04/msg00007.html

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com

* Re: [ECOS] setting up SLIP/PPP incoming connections
@ 2005-05-20 10:01       ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2005-05-20 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gonçalo Antunes; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Gonçalo Antunes <gmma@gmma.net> writes:

> I understand that PPP only works with FreeBSD stack... but I would
> like to know if there is a way to put the eCos application to wait for
> PPP connections. I want eCos to be the PPP server, not the
> client... is it possible?

See the following for a previous answer to the same question:

http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2005-02/msg00157.html

> If not possible... is SLIP avaiable?

There's no SLIP available.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts

* Re: [ECOS] Re: C++ Support
@ 2005-05-20 14:58   ` Jerome Souquieres
From: Jerome Souquieres @ 2005-05-20 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion

Øyvind Harboe wrote:

>http://www.zylin.com/libstdc++.html
>http://www.zylin.com/stlport.html
>
>For the libstdc++ stuff I submitted a patch to eCos w.r.t. some issues
>with using C++ early in eCos startup, but it didn't receive any comments
>so far:

 Hi,

  I am currently investigating myself about eCos,  GCC and C++.  I've
read your instructions in the URL mentioned above, which were quite
interesting and I see that you are using eCos pthreads compatibility
layer to make gcc thread safe.

  There is another possibility: add a "*-*-ecos" target in GCC that
would use the ecos kernel functions to implement the gthread API. A
complete GCC port for eCos should also probably include a single/multi
threaded option (like the -pthread option for AIX targets) so that you
can use a bare eCos without kernel.
  Has anyone already done some work around these ideas ?

--
  Jerome Souquieres

* Re: [ECOS] Re: C++ Support
@ 2005-05-21  8:30     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2005-05-21  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Souquieres; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Jerome Souquieres wrote:
> Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>
>> http://www.zylin.com/libstdc++.html
>> http://www.zylin.com/stlport.html
>>
>> For the libstdc++ stuff I submitted a patch to eCos w.r.t. some issues
>> with using C++ early in eCos startup, but it didn't receive any comments
>> so far:
>>

> Hi,
>
>  I am currently investigating myself about eCos,  GCC and C++.  I've
> read your instructions in the URL mentioned above, which were quite
> interesting and I see that you are using eCos pthreads compatibility
> layer to make gcc thread safe.
>
>  There is another possibility: add a "*-*-ecos" target in GCC that would
> use the ecos kernel functions to implement the gthread API. A complete
> GCC port for eCos should also probably include a single/multi threaded
> option (like the -pthread option for AIX targets) so that you can use a
> bare eCos without kernel.

Multilibbing on the basis of thread support might work (although the
thought of doubling the number of multilibs on some toolchains fills me
with dread), although I can tell you that the eCosCentric implementation
doesn't need to do that - instead it's possible to abstract the GCC
gthread implementation so that implementations can "plug in" to it if
there is threading support. In the fullness of time (don't ask me when
because I don't know other than "not soon") and this gets contributed to
the gcc project, this is something I know they've been looking for in the
past as it solves a number of wider issues, including on AIX.

Certainly using pthreads isn't a great option because of the overheads to
applications (and their semantics) it brings in. eCos native threads are
definitely the way to go. More specifically, directly using the internal
C++ API, rather than the kernel C API. The locking primitives are used so
much by STL that you really don't want to have unnecessary overhead in there.

Jifl