* [ECOS] RedBoot load problem
@ 2005-07-22 13:19 Edgar Grimberg
From: Edgar Grimberg @ 2005-07-22 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Discussion List

Hi,

I have a fresh RedBoot (taken from CVS about 2 weeks ago) and a eb40
like board. I built it as ROM startup and loaded it to the board with
BDI2000. I get the prompt and I can issue commands...
When I try to load something into RAM, using load command, I don't see
any bytes loading. For example:

RedBoot> load -m ymodem -b %{FREEMEMLO} -r

gives me the "C" in console, and on the file transfer window from
minicom I get:

Retry 0: NAK on sector

until it gives me:

Retry 0: Retry Count Exceeded

Any hints?

Regards,
Edgar

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot load problem
@ 2005-07-22 14:36 ` Wolfgang Köbler
From: Wolfgang Köbler @ 2005-07-22 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar Grimberg; +Cc: eCos Discussion List

Hi,

On 22-Jul-2005 Edgar Grimberg wrote:
> I have a fresh RedBoot (taken from CVS about 2 weeks ago) and a eb40
> like board. I built it as ROM startup and loaded it to the board with
> BDI2000. I get the prompt and I can issue commands...
> When I try to load something into RAM, using load command, I don't see
> any bytes loading. For example:
>
> RedBoot> load -m ymodem -b %{FREEMEMLO} -r
> gives me the "C" in console, and on the file transfer window from
> minicom I get:
> Retry 0: NAK on sector
> until it gives me:
> Retry 0: Retry Count Exceeded
Have you ever successfully uploaded s.th. to this board via ymodem ?
Have you tried xmodem ? Have you tried a minicom-alternaitve ? Have you tried
sb without minicom, like "sb filenameandoptions < /dev/ttyS0 > /dev/ttyS0" ?

As curiosity, does it help if you disconnect the serial cable as soon as you
get "C", then start the minicom-filetransfer, and then reconnect the cable ?

I do not know eb40 details and I do not yet know RedBoot details, but I know
there have been some strange interaction problems with minicom and sx
(xmodem) when using at91rm9200 firmware. One solution can be found there:
http://www.koansoftware.com/en/art.php?art=68
see also: (including arm linux mailing list archive discussion)
http://www.google.com/search?q=at91rm9200+xmodem+minicom+problem&hl=en&lr=&fil
ter=0

But maybe someone who knows eb40 and redboot better than me can help you
better.

Bye,
Wolfgang

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot load problem
@ 2005-07-22 14:50   ` Edgar Grimberg
From: Edgar Grimberg @ 2005-07-22 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Köbler, eCos Discussion List

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have already tried some of the alternatives,
but without success.. (event running hyperterm on a Win machine). The
only thing I didn't tried until now was to change the serial port speed
in redboot and minicom (dooh!). If I change this to 19200, the transfer
works OK, on 38400 bps it seems that I am loosing characters. I will dig
deeper to find the problem, because I think that 38400 is not too speedy.

Regards,
Edgar

@ 2003-08-21  5:51 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-08-21  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: embeddedsys03; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Swaroop/Dhiraj,

I have text files explaining the issues connected to this (for both
downloading SREC & BIN) at my site. I will extend it for elf files sooner.

The start address used for ‘go’ need not be same as the load address. So,
you are better of loading a SREC, which would contain both these addresses
in it (so, need not explicitly specify). I would imagine the same for elfÂ’s
too.

Cheers,
-Mike.

@ 2003-08-20  4:47 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2003-08-20  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Anburaj; +Cc: dhiraj_i2k, eCos Discussion

@ 2003-08-20  0:56 Michael Anburaj
From: Michael Anburaj @ 2003-08-20  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhiraj_i2k, ecos-discuss

Hi Dhiraj,

2 things to note.

>RedBoot> load -v -b 0x10000 pascal.elf -m xmodem

Load either an SREC or binary file (not an elf). ELF images contain headers
& debug info embedded in it.

Example:
load -m xmodem
or
load -r -m xmodem -b 0x10000

1st one for srec images & the second one for binary images.

>CCCCCCCCCCan't load 'pascal.elf': Timed out
>The loading is timed out.
>Can anyone help??

After issuing this command, you need to send the actual image (srec or .bin
file) over xmodem protocol <use Hyperterminal (windows) or minicon (linux)>.

Refer to the docs at my page:
http://geocities.com/michaelanburaj/ecos/index.html

Cheers,
-Mike.

* [ECOS] Redboot load problem
@ 2003-08-20  0:04 Dhiraj Bawadhankar
From: Dhiraj Bawadhankar @ 2003-08-20  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello
I am trying to use the redboot load command to load an application on arm
evaluator 7t board through a serial connection. For this i am using the
following command
RedBoot> load -v -b 0x10000 pascal.elf -m xmodem
CCCCCCCCCCan't load 'pascal.elf': Timed out
The loading is timed out.
Can anyone help??

Dhiraj Bawadhankar

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot load problem
@ 2003-05-23  1:00       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2003-05-23  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Schoeberl; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Martin Schoeberl wrote:

>>The problem has changed: I enabled 'Validate RAM addresses duringload' for
>>RedBoot and got the message:
>>*** Abort! Attempt to load S-record to address: 0x00108000, which is not
>
> in
>
>>RAM
>>
>>version shows:
>>RAM: 0x00000000-0x000a0000, 0x0008ab30-0x000a0000 available
>>
>>But the pc has 24MB of ram. How can I change this that RedBoot recognizes
>>ram above 0x100000.

There's an outstanding bug that RedBoot can't deal with non-contiguous
RAM. That's the only reason the validate RAM option even exists.

As you can see with the redboot .ecm files in the PC target, the option to
validate RAM addresses is disabled for the PC for exactly this reason.

> Half a solution:
> I disabled 'validate RAM...' again and tried a different PC -> it works.
> Tried GDB -> also OK
> switched back to my old 486SX and loaded the program with GDB -> also OK!!!
>
> What's the difference from downloading with hyperterm and with gdb?

With GDB it never checks the RAM addresses - it tries it and sees if the
write works. Also GDB uses an entirely separate protocol.

Jifl

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot load problem
@ 2003-05-22 13:25 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2003-05-22 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Schoeberl; +Cc: ecos-discuss

"Martin Schoeberl" <martin.schoeberl@chello.at> writes:

> I'm using an old 486 notebook for first tests. I've installed the eCos
> version from the book 'Embedded Software Dev. w. eCos'. Everything works
> fine till the download of the first example via Hyperterminal. The download
> starts but after about 20KB it stops and host and traget run into timeouts.

The most common cause of this sort of thing is that the application is
being loaded over the top of RedBoot. The download fails when it
overwrites a piece of code or data that is being used by the download.

Check that the application has not been built with FLOPPY startup, but
with RAM startup; and that you are using a fresh build directory, not
the same one redboot was built in.

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot load problem
@ 2003-05-22 12:02     ` Martin Schoeberl
From: Martin Schoeberl @ 2003-05-22 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

> > > I'm using an old 486 notebook for first tests. I've installed the eCos
> > > version from the book 'Embedded Software Dev. w. eCos'. Everything
works
> > > fine till the download of the first example via Hyperterminal. The
> download
> > > starts but after about 20KB it stops and host and traget run into
> timeouts.
> > >
> > > Martin
> >
> > I found that I needed to apply this patch to get serial downloads to
> > work in any useful way on my i386 target boards. I'm not sure why they
> > were disabled (I think someone told me but I can't remember that long
> > ago), but everything works fine for me with them turned on.
> >
> > Ian.
>
> The problem has changed: I enabled 'Validate RAM addresses duringload' for
> RedBoot and got the message:
> *** Abort! Attempt to load S-record to address: 0x00108000, which is not
in
> RAM
>
> version shows:
> RAM: 0x00000000-0x000a0000, 0x0008ab30-0x000a0000 available
>
> But the pc has 24MB of ram. How can I change this that RedBoot recognizes
> ram above 0x100000.
>
> Martin

Half a solution:
I disabled 'validate RAM...' again and tried a different PC -> it works.
Tried GDB -> also OK
switched back to my old 486SX and loaded the program with GDB -> also OK!!!

What's the difference from downloading with hyperterm and with gdb?
Why do I have to disable 'validate RAM..' for the pc target?

Martin

* Re: [ECOS] RedBoot load problem
@ 2003-05-22 12:01   ` Martin Schoeberl
From: Martin Schoeberl @ 2003-05-22 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

@ 2003-05-22 10:37 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2003-05-22 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 09:47, Martin Schoeberl wrote:
> I'm using an old 486 notebook for first tests. I've installed the eCos
> version from the book 'Embedded Software Dev. w. eCos'. Everything works
> fine till the download of the first example via Hyperterminal. The download
> starts but after about 20KB it stops and host and traget run into timeouts.
>
> Martin

I found that I needed to apply this patch to get serial downloads to
work in any useful way on my i386 target boards. I'm not sure why they
were disabled (I think someone told me but I can't remember that long
ago), but everything works fine for me with them turned on.

Ian.

Index: hal/i386/pcmb/current/src/pcmb_serial.c
RCS file:
/cvs/ecos/ecos/packages/hal/i386/pcmb/current/src/pcmb_serial.c,v
retrieving revision 1.5
diff -u -b -B -w -p -u -r1.5 pcmb_serial.c
--- hal/i386/pcmb/current/src/pcmb_serial.c     23 May 2002 23:03:16
-0000
1.5
+++ hal/i386/pcmb/current/src/pcmb_serial.c     14 May 2003 06:00:50
-0000
@@ -170,7 +170,8 @@ cyg_hal_plf_serial_init_channel(void* __
     HAL_READ_UINT8(base+CYG_DEV_LSR, lsr);
     ((channel_data_t*)__ch_data)->valid = (lsr != 0xFF);

-//    HAL_WRITE_UINT8(base+CYG_DEV_FCR, 0x07);  // Enable & clear FIFO
+    HAL_WRITE_UINT8(base+CYG_DEV_FCR, 0x07);  // Enable & clear FIFO
+

Ian Campbell
Design Engineer

Arcom                                   Direct: +44 (0)1223 403 465
Clifton Road                            Phone:  +44 (0)1223 411 200
Cambridge CB1 7EA                       E-Mail: icampbell@arcom.com
United Kingdom                          Web:    http://www.arcom.com

http://www.messagelabs.com

* [ECOS] RedBoot load problem