* [ECOS] any tools? (for finding the memory leaks)
@ 2005-08-01  5:40 prashanthu baragur
From: prashanthu baragur @ 2005-08-01  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

        In eCos, any memory leak finding tools available, just like
ElectricFence?
I want to use some memory debugging tools to see or evaluate any
memory related issues,
of my application implementation. Thanks in advance for the help,

best regards,
pra.

* Re: [ECOS] any tools? (for finding the memory leaks)
@ 2005-08-01  9:55 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2005-08-01  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prashanthu baragur; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 11:10:53AM +0530, prashanthu baragur wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         In eCos, any memory leak finding tools available, just like
> ElectricFence?

> I want to use some memory debugging tools to see or evaluate any
> memory related issues, of my application implementation.

ElectricFence makes extensive use of the MMU to detect access out of
memory bounds etc. eCos is designed to run without the MMU. So this
approach is not possible.

If you are just looking for memory leaks you can put a wrapper around
malloc/free to print out the addresses. Or you could extend the malloc
implementation to store the __builtin_return_address() for each
allocation and then dump out the allocations sometime later.

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] any tools? (for finding the memory leaks)
@ 2005-08-01 14:36   ` Alex Schuilenburg
From: Alex Schuilenburg @ 2005-08-01 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prashanthu baragur; +Cc: Andrew Lunn, ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 11:10:53AM +0530, prashanthu baragur wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>        In eCos, any memory leak finding tools available, just like
>>ElectricFence?
>

>>I want to use some memory debugging tools to see or evaluate any
>>memory related issues, of my application implementation.
>

> ElectricFence makes extensive use of the MMU to detect access out of
> memory bounds etc. eCos is designed to run without the MMU. So this
> approach is not possible.
>
> If you are just looking for memory leaks you can put a wrapper around
> malloc/free to print out the addresses. Or you could extend the malloc
> implementation to store the __builtin_return_address() for each
> allocation and then dump out the allocations sometime later.

The problem with this approach is the amount of data you have to store
and then match up if you suffer from memory leaks over time.

<Commercial>
eCosCentric have developed a Memory Debug Data tool as part of eCosPro.
This provides a comprehensive mechanism for tracking memory leaks as
well as memory usage and overflow issues. These features are documented at:
http://www.ecoscentric.com/ecospro/doc/html/ref/memalloc-debugdata.html
http://www.ecoscentric.com/ecospro/doc/html/ref/memalloc-standard-api.html#MEMALLOC-STANDARD-API-DEBUG

If you are interested in purchasing eCosPro, contact
info@ecoscentric.com for details.
</Commercial>

-- Alex

Managing Director / CEO                              eCosCentric Limited
http://www.ecoscentric.com/                 The eCos and RedBoot experts