* [ECOS] Re: eCos Grub Problem
       [not found] <20050809102804.17214.qmail@webmail28.rediffmail.com>
@ 2005-08-09 14:24 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2005-08-09 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raghavendra pai g; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Again, please Cc all messages to ecos-discuss. That way others get the
benefit of any information.

"raghavendra pai g" <grpai1@rediffmail.com> writes:

>  Let me explain u the procedure how i got the redboot.elf
>
>    i used the configtool .
>    The template - i386 PC target with RTL8139 ethernet
> 	package- redboot
>
>    import the file /opt/cvs/packages/hal/i386/pc/current/misc/redboot_GRUB.ecm
>
>    In the Options eCos-Hal -> i386-architecture -> i386-PC target ->
>       changing Default Console channel -> 2
>                Diagnostic serial port
>
>    Then build the library.
>
>      And from the _intall/bin i will get the rredboot.elf file
>      and this is placed into /boot
>
>       In the /etc/grub.conf
>      "title eCos1
>         root (hd0,1)
>         kernel /boot/redboot.elf
>      title Fedora Core-up (2.6.9-1.667)
>         root (hd0,1)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img "
>
>       Is there any change i have to do .
>
>       I am getting the " Error15 : File not found "
>
>     Please do tell where i went wrong .

My understanding of GRUB is that it uses a menu.lst file in /boot/grub
to supply the boot options. That is certainly what my SuSE
installation does. I'm not sure what role /etc/grub.conf plays, but it
is not the right place to put new boot options.

Are you also sure that (hd0,1) is the right partition?

Whatever is going on, it is to do with GRUB failing to find the named file.
It currently has nothing to do with the way that RedBoot was built,
which looks OK to me.

I would strongly suggest experimenting with GRUB booting from a floppy
disk.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts

* Re: [ECOS] Re: eCos Grub Problem
@ 2005-08-09 14:37   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2005-08-09 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: raghavendra pai g, ecos-discuss

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 15:24 +0100, Nick Garnett wrote:

> My understanding of GRUB is that it uses a menu.lst file in /boot/grub
> to supply the boot options. That is certainly what my SuSE
> installation does. I'm not sure what role /etc/grub.conf plays, but it
> is not the right place to put new boot options.

On all the systems I've seen which use grub (primarily Debian systems)
menu.lst is a symlink to grub.conf. I don't know for sure which one grub
actually looks for (the manpage suggests menu.lst) but if you modify the
other one and they aren't linked you'll run into trouble...

--
Ian Campbell

Flon's Law:
	There is not now, and never will be, a language in
	which it is the least bit difficult to write bad programs.

* Re: [ECOS] Re: eCos Grub Problem
@ 2005-08-09 14:38   ` R Vamshi Krishna
From: R Vamshi Krishna @ 2005-08-09 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nickg; +Cc: raghavendra pai g, ecos-discuss

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Nick Garnett wrote:

> Again, please Cc all messages to ecos-discuss. That way others get the
> benefit of any information.
>

> "raghavendra pai g" <grpai1@rediffmail.com> writes:
>

>>  Let me explain u the procedure how i got the redboot.elf
>>
>>    i used the configtool .
>>    The template - i386 PC target with RTL8139 ethernet
>> 	package- redboot
>>
>>    import the file /opt/cvs/packages/hal/i386/pc/current/misc/redboot_GRUB.ecm
>>
>>    In the Options eCos-Hal -> i386-architecture -> i386-PC target ->
>>       changing Default Console channel -> 2
>>                Diagnostic serial port
>>
>>    Then build the library.
>>
>>      And from the _intall/bin i will get the rredboot.elf file
>>      and this is placed into /boot
>>
>>       In the /etc/grub.conf
>>      "title eCos1
>>         root (hd0,1)
>>         kernel /boot/redboot.elf
>>      title Fedora Core-up (2.6.9-1.667)
>>         root (hd0,1)
>>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img "
>>
>>       Is there any change i have to do .
>>
>>       I am getting the " Error15 : File not found "
>>
>>     Please do tell where i went wrong .
>
> My understanding of GRUB is that it uses a menu.lst file in /boot/grub
> to supply the boot options. That is certainly what my SuSE
> installation does. I'm not sure what role /etc/grub.conf plays, but it
> is not the right place to put new boot options.
>
> Are you also sure that (hd0,1) is the right partition?
>
> Whatever is going on, it is to do with GRUB failing to find the named file.
> It currently has nothing to do with the way that RedBoot was built,
> which looks OK to me.
>
> I would strongly suggest experimenting with GRUB booting from a floppy
> disk.

To my knowledge, on Fedora Core which Ragavendra has,
/etc/grub.conf is a link to /boot/grub/grub.conf

So any changes in /etc/grub.conf are reflected properly in
/root/grub/grub.conf

So the problem is that :

 	1. We have Redboot.elf in /boot directory
 	2. We have the above mentioned menu.lst
 	3. When we boot we get the afore mentioned output.

So far we have executed a few applications by putting redboot on the
floppy, then booting the i386 PC, using TFTP to retrieve the application
and the execute it from redboot.

No when we use grub, do we have to boot redboot from grub and then execute
the application.

Can I not have the setup such that the application directly starts running
without a ROM Monitor.

In that case my menu.lst will be
 	Title eCos Application (Hello)
 		kernel (hd0,1)/boot/Hello

BTW : It is indeed (hd0,1) because on doing df -h we get
       /dev/hda2 as our boot partition.

Thank you for your patience.

- Vamshi

* Re: [ECOS] Re: eCos Grub Problem
@ 2005-08-09 14:57     ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2005-08-09 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: raghavendra pai g, ecos-discuss

Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 15:24 +0100, Nick Garnett wrote:
>
> > My understanding of GRUB is that it uses a menu.lst file in /boot/grub
> > to supply the boot options. That is certainly what my SuSE
> > installation does. I'm not sure what role /etc/grub.conf plays, but it
> > is not the right place to put new boot options.
>
> On all the systems I've seen which use grub (primarily Debian systems)
> menu.lst is a symlink to grub.conf. I don't know for sure which one grub
> actually looks for (the manpage suggests menu.lst) but if you modify the
> other one and they aren't linked you'll run into trouble...

Here, on SuSE 9.1, they are definitely different files. The contents
of /etc/grub.conf seems designed for host tools to locate the
bootloader.

Of course SuSE may be doing their own thing here.

/etc/grub.conf:

root (hd0,1)
install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 d (hd0) /grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,1)/grub/menu.lst
quit

/boot/grub/menu.lst:

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Fri May 28 15:56:01 2004

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,1)/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Linux
    kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x31a splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hda6 showopts
    initrd (hd0,1)/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
    root (fd0)
    chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe
    kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0  3
    initrd (hd0,1)/initrd

--

@ 2005-08-09 15:21     ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2005-08-09 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R Vamshi Krishna; +Cc: raghavendra pai g, ecos-discuss

R Vamshi Krishna <vamshi@cse.iitb.ac.in> writes:

> To my knowledge, on Fedora Core which Ragavendra has,
> /etc/grub.conf is a link to /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> So any changes in /etc/grub.conf are reflected properly in
> /root/grub/grub.conf

See my other response, on SuSE they appear to be different files.

> So the problem is that :
>
>  	1. We have Redboot.elf in /boot directory
>  	2. We have the above mentioned menu.lst
>  	3. When we boot we get the afore mentioned output.
>

> So far we have executed a few applications by putting redboot on the
> floppy, then booting the i386 PC, using TFTP to retrieve the
> application
> and the execute it from redboot.
>
> No when we use grub, do we have to boot redboot from grub and then
> execute the application.
>
> Can I not have the setup such that the application directly starts
> running without a ROM Monitor.
>
> In that case my menu.lst will be
>  	Title eCos Application (Hello)
>  		kernel (hd0,1)/boot/Hello

Yes, you can do this, and in fact this is the recommended way of
running eCos application over GRUB. There is often not much point in
using a bootloader to load a bootloader to load the application. The
GRUB version of RedBoot is most useful as a development tool.

See the documentation at:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/setup-i386-pc.html

The only thing to be aware of is that without RedBoot, applications
will default to doing IO only via the serial lines, they will not use
the screen and keyboard.

I have just tried booting a GRUB version of RedBoot from a
floppy-resident GRUB here, and it all works as expected. So, I think
the problems are that somehow the right partition and file name are
not being suppled to GRUB.

--

@ 2005-08-09 18:47     ` David Brennan
From: David Brennan @ 2005-08-09 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R Vamshi Krishna; +Cc: nickg, raghavendra pai g, ecos-discuss

R Vamshi Krishna wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Nick Garnett wrote:
>

>> Again, please Cc all messages to ecos-discuss. That way others get the
>> benefit of any information.
>>

>> "raghavendra pai g" <grpai1@rediffmail.com> writes:
>>

>>>  Let me explain u the procedure how i got the redboot.elf
>>>
>>>    i used the configtool .
>>>    The template - i386 PC target with RTL8139 ethernet
>>>     package- redboot
>>>
>>>    import the file
>>> /opt/cvs/packages/hal/i386/pc/current/misc/redboot_GRUB.ecm
>>>
>>>    In the Options eCos-Hal -> i386-architecture -> i386-PC target ->
>>>       changing Default Console channel -> 2
>>>                Diagnostic serial port
>>>
>>>    Then build the library.
>>>
>>>      And from the _intall/bin i will get the rredboot.elf file
>>>      and this is placed into /boot
>>>
>>>       In the /etc/grub.conf
>>>      "title eCos1
>>>         root (hd0,1)
>>>         kernel /boot/redboot.elf
>>>      title Fedora Core-up (2.6.9-1.667)
>>>         root (hd0,1)
>>>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>>>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img "
>>>
>>>       Is there any change i have to do .
>>>
>>>       I am getting the " Error15 : File not found "
>>>
>>>     Please do tell where i went wrong .
>>

>> My understanding of GRUB is that it uses a menu.lst file in /boot/grub
>> to supply the boot options. That is certainly what my SuSE
>> installation does. I'm not sure what role /etc/grub.conf plays, but it
>> is not the right place to put new boot options.
>>
>> Are you also sure that (hd0,1) is the right partition?
>>
>> Whatever is going on, it is to do with GRUB failing to find the named
>> file.
>> It currently has nothing to do with the way that RedBoot was built,
>> which looks OK to me.
>>
>> I would strongly suggest experimenting with GRUB booting from a floppy
>> disk.
>>

> To my knowledge, on Fedora Core which Ragavendra has,
> /etc/grub.conf is a link to /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> So any changes in /etc/grub.conf are reflected properly in
> /root/grub/grub.conf
>
> So the problem is that :
>
>     1. We have Redboot.elf in /boot directory
>     2. We have the above mentioned menu.lst
>     3. When we boot we get the afore mentioned output.
>

> So far we have executed a few applications by putting redboot on the
> floppy, then booting the i386 PC, using TFTP to retrieve the application
> and the execute it from redboot.
>
> No when we use grub, do we have to boot redboot from grub and then
> execute the application.
>
> Can I not have the setup such that the application directly starts
> running without a ROM Monitor.
>
> In that case my menu.lst will be
>     Title eCos Application (Hello)
>         kernel (hd0,1)/boot/Hello

> BTW : It is indeed (hd0,1) because on doing df -h we get
>       /dev/hda2 as our boot partition.

So on your Linux box, your application is /boot/boot/Hello? What
directory is vmlinuz in? If it is also in /boot, then you need to remove
the /boot in front of your path name.

Dave

> Thank you for your patience.
>
> - Vamshi

* [ECOS] Re: eCos Grub Problem
       [not found] <20050809091416.27715.qmail@webmail29.rediffmail.com>
@ 2005-08-09  9:35 ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2005-08-09  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raghavendra pai g; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Please Cc all messages to ecos-discuss. That way others get the
benefit of any information.

"raghavendra pai g" <grpai1@rediffmail.com> writes:

>  Hi nick,
>
>     I am new to this eCos field and am trying to get redboot from my grub . I tried many ways to get it but was not been able to .
>
>      I saw ur reply mail for this grub queries . I done the same way but it is saying file not found .
>
> "   title RedBoot
>    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/redboot
>
> I'm not sure that the --type is necessary, GRUB is smart enough to
> work out that it has an ELF file.
>
> Note that when running standard applications, diagnostic output will
> only go to the serial lines, not the screen. Set
> CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CONSOLE_CHANNEL_DEFAULT to 2 to get screen
> output.
>
>       "
>
>     This was one such mail reply u gave . i too done like that but was not been able to .
> "
> title eCos
>         root (hd0,1)
>         keernel /boot/grub/redboot.elf
> title eCos1
>         root (hd0,1) /boot/grub/grb.elf
>
>       " but none worked out .
>
>     can u tell me where i went wrong

1. I assume that "keernel" above is a typo in the email and does not
   appear in the real menu.lst file.

2. Make sure you have built RedBoot for GRUB startup, other versions
   of RedBoot will not boot from GRUB.

3. If GRUB is saying "file not found" then there is probably something
   wrong with the pathname. I'm not sure why you have put the
   redboot.elf file in the /boot/grub directory rather than the /boot
   directory. Also check that the disk/partition specifier is correct.

4. You might need to drop into the GRUB command line to try out
   various things to see what is going on.

5. Try booting from a floppy disk rather than the hard disk. That way
   you have total control over the contents of the disk. Once you have
   things working from a floppy, you should better understand what you
   need to do for the hard disk.

Apart from that, I cannot think of anything else to suggest.