* Re: [ECOS] configure and cross compilation
@ 2006-07-12 16:12 Jacek Poplawski
From: Jacek Poplawski @ 2006-07-12 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hello Gary,

> This is not how you build an eCos application [RedBoot is just
> such an eCos application]

Yes, later last afternoon I was able to compile it in usual way, with
ecosconfig and make. I just have seen ./configure so I thought that's the
current proper way.

>    % mkdir ecos_iq80321
>    % cd ecos_iq80321
>    % ecosconfig new iq80321 redboot
>    % ecosconfig tree
>    % make

I do the same, but I use command line arguments (like --srcdir) instead
environment variables. I also use very old ecosconfig (from RedBoot much
older than 2.0).

I build RedBoot for ixp425, put it on ixp2801 board and of course crashed
it :) But at least now I know how to build current version of RedBoot and
I can start searching for differences with 2801.

Thanks for help.

--
Jacek Poplawski
Software Engineer

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications@s3group.com.
Thank You.

* [ECOS] eCos on SID (PowerPC simulation)
@ 2006-07-12 21:55 ` Evgeny Belyanco
From: Evgeny Belyanco @ 2006-07-12 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi!

I found nice manual

eCos and SID on ARM PID target HOWTO
http://www.asisi.co.uk/ecos_sid.html

What about PowerPC? Is it possible to run eCos on SID for PowerPC
targets?

Evgeny Belyanko

* Re: [ECOS] eCos on SID (PowerPC simulation)
@ 2006-07-13 12:01   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2006-07-13 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evgeny Belyanco; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Evgeny Belyanco wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I found nice manual
>
> eCos and SID on ARM PID target HOWTO
> http://www.asisi.co.uk/ecos_sid.html
>
> What about PowerPC? Is it possible to run eCos on SID for PowerPC
> targets?

As far as I know, no.  Ask the SID folks, as it is a completely
separate project.

* Re[2]: [ECOS] eCos on SID (PowerPC simulation)
@ 2006-07-13 12:18     ` Evgeny Belyanco
From: Evgeny Belyanco @ 2006-07-13 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>> What about PowerPC? Is it possible to run eCos on SID for PowerPC
>> targets?

GT> As far as I know, no.  Ask the SID folks,

There is no answer in SID mail list.
http://sourceware.org/ml/sid/2006-q3/msg00007.html

GT> as it is a completely separate project.

I understand this.

@ 2006-07-13 12:39       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2006-07-13 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evgeny Belyanco; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Evgeny Belyanco wrote:
> Thursday, July 13, 2006, 4:01:33 PM, you wrote:
>
>>> What about PowerPC? Is it possible to run eCos on SID for PowerPC
>>> targets?
>
> GT> As far as I know, no.  Ask the SID folks,
>
> There is no answer in SID mail list.
> http://sourceware.org/ml/sid/2006-q3/msg00007.html

Patience :-)  SID is a much smaller project and most of the folks
involved are in the US (it's barely after dawn here)  Expecting
a reply within 25 minutes (your post to SID was at 15:52 your time
and this one at 16:17) is a bit unrealistic.

* Re: [ECOS] eCos on SID (PowerPC simulation)
@ 2006-07-13 12:44         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2006-07-13 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evgeny Belyanco; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Evgeny Belyanco wrote:

>> GT> As far as I know, no.  Ask the SID folks,
>>
>> There is no answer in SID mail list.
>> http://sourceware.org/ml/sid/2006-q3/msg00007.html
>
> Patience :-)  SID is a much smaller project and most of the folks
> involved are in the US (it's barely after dawn here)  Expecting
> a reply within 25 minutes (your post to SID was at 15:52 your time
> and this one at 16:17) is a bit unrealistic.

Sorry, I was a bit hasty in my reading of the date/time stamps.
It was 15 hours, not 25 minutes.  Nonetheless, SID is a smaller
project and replies may take time.

Why are you interested in this, anyway?

* Re[2]: [ECOS] eCos on SID (PowerPC simulation)
@ 2006-07-13 13:39           ` Evgeny Belyanco
From: Evgeny Belyanco @ 2006-07-13 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

GT> Why are you interested in this, anyway?

I am looking for SoC simulator for planned eCos project.

I was *greatly* impressed by idea of SID and it current stage. Guide
for wright custom component is very clear, good lib of components with
sources is included in distrib.

The planned target for my project is PPC405GP. PSIM simulation is
good, but I need some models for peripheral.

Evgeny Belyanko

* Re: [ECOS] configure and cross compilation
@ 2006-07-12 13:05 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2006-07-12 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacek Poplawski; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Jacek Poplawski wrote:
> I am trying to compile CVS version of ecos/RedBoot.
>
> How to specify which toolchain configure should use?
> I tried that way:
>
> ../ecos/configure --target=xscale-elf
>
> But used compiler name is still "gcc", not "xscale-elf-gcc".
> Should I make symbolic links?
>
> Could you point me to the documentation describing how to compile current
> version of RedBoot?

This is not how you build an eCos application [RedBoot is just
such an eCos application]

The basic steps are:
   0.1 Set up your [cross-development] tool chain
   0.2 Set up 'ecosconfig' and/or 'configtool'
       These steps need to be executed only once.  More information can be
       found at: http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html
   0.3 Download the latest eCos sources
       It's recommended to download eCos from CVS, rather than the older 2.0
       release.
   1.0 Create the basic eCos configuration.  This involves
       a) selecting a target and environment template
       b) optionally modifying the eCos configuration
       c) generate a build tree
   2.0 Build your application, using make

For example, to build eCos for the iq80321 (ARM XScale board)

@ 2006-07-11 18:27 Jacek Poplawski