* [ECOS] fatfs & lowercase directory names
@ 2007-10-04 15:08 Will Wagner
From: Will Wagner @ 2007-10-04 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi All,

Does someone know why the fatfs code converts all directory names to
uppercase (ie in set_raw_dentry_filename())?

I have looked at a number of other fatfs implementations and they don't
enforce only uppcase names so I don't believe it is a requirement for
fat filesystem.

Many thanks,

Will.
Will Wagner                                     will_wagner@carallon.com
Senior Project Engineer                  Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7371 2032
Carallon Ltd, Studio G20, Shepherds Building, Rockley Rd, London W14 0DA

* RE: [ECOS] fatfs & lowercase directory names
@ 2007-10-04 17:04 ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2007-10-04 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss'

> From: Will Wagner
>
> Does someone know why the fatfs code converts all directory names to
> uppercase (ie in set_raw_dentry_filename())?
>
> I have looked at a number of other fatfs implementations and
> they don't
> enforce only uppcase names so I don't believe it is a requirement for
> fat filesystem.

8.3 names must be uppercase. That's the way MS-DOS worked, that's how
Windows still works (for the 8.3 aliases), and that's the way anything that
reads a FAT volume will assume it works. Lower case letters are only
recorded in the long file names, under VFAT, which I don't believe eCos
supports yet.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: [ECOS] fatfs & lowercase directory names
@ 2007-10-04 17:30   ` Will Wagner
From: Will Wagner @ 2007-10-04 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'ecos-discuss'

Thanks Paul.

After doing more poking around I see that eCosCentric offer long
filename support.

Also not sure what the deal would be with the 0.25 cents royalty to
microsoft you have to pay (At least that's what wikipedia claims).

Will.