* [ECOS] Using a different network driver
@ 2007-12-17 11:32 Antoine Zen-Ruffinen
From: Antoine Zen-Ruffinen @ 2007-12-17 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi !

I am new to eCos. I want to use it on a soekris board
(www.soekris.com), a single board PC, that have 3 NS DP83816 NIC. I
have seen that a compatible driver for that NIC already exist in eCos
tree.

 My question is how to incorporate it in my eCos configuration ?

I tried with the configtool, but it allways tell me "Add or remove
hardware package by selecting a new hardware template".

Tank's

Antoine

* Re: [ECOS] Using a different network driver
@ 2007-12-18  9:19 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-12-18  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antoine Zen-Ruffinen; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 08:55:20AM +0100, Antoine Zen-Ruffinen wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I am new to eCos. I want to use it on a soekris board
> (www.soekris.com), a single board PC, that have 3 NS DP83816 NIC. I
> have seen that a compatible driver for that NIC already exist in eCos
> tree.
>
>  My question is how to incorporate it in my eCos configuration ?
>
> I tried with the configtool, but it allways tell me "Add or remove
> hardware package by selecting a new hardware template".

You cannot add new hardware to an existing target. You need to add a
new target. Take a look at the pc_i82544 target as an example. You
need to replace the two CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_* lines. One should be the
generic DP83816 package. The other will be a new package you need to
add.

You need a hardware dependent package which configures the hardware
independent DP83816 driver for your specific board. Take a look at
/devs/eth/powerpc/moab/current/ for an example of this.

         Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Using a different network driver
@ 2007-12-20 13:01   ` Antoine Zen-Ruffinen
From: Antoine Zen-Ruffinen @ 2007-12-20 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew, ecos-discuss

2007/12/17, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 08:55:20AM +0100, Antoine Zen-Ruffinen wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > I am new to eCos. I want to use it on a soekris board
> > (www.soekris.com), a single board PC, that have 3 NS DP83816 NIC. I
> > have seen that a compatible driver for that NIC already exist in eCos
> > tree.
> >
> >  My question is how to incorporate it in my eCos configuration ?
> >
> > I tried with the configtool, but it allways tell me "Add or remove
> > hardware package by selecting a new hardware template".
>
> You cannot add new hardware to an existing target. You need to add a
> new target. Take a look at the pc_i82544 target as an example. You
> need to replace the two CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_* lines. One should be the
> generic DP83816 package. The other will be a new package you need to
> add.
>
> You need a hardware dependent package which configures the hardware
> independent DP83816 driver for your specific board. Take a look at
> /devs/eth/powerpc/moab/current/ for an example of this.
>
>          Andrew

After a lot of pain, it work !!! Tank you for help Andrew !! That is
the second time you help me on my eCos project.  If you like I will
pay you a beer, when I will come back to Switzerland (I am now in
Sweden).

If I recompile redboot with my new target, will I have network support
in it ? because downloading code trough the serial is very slow.

@ 2007-12-20 15:22     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2007-12-20 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antoine Zen-Ruffinen; +Cc: andrew, ecos-discuss

> If I recompile redboot with my new target, will I have network support
> in it ? because downloading code trough the serial is very slow.

It should have, when you enable networking in RedBoot.

   Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Using a different network driver
@ 2007-12-20 15:25       ` Antoine Zen-Ruffinen
From: Antoine Zen-Ruffinen @ 2007-12-20 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antoine Zen-Ruffinen, andrew, ecos-discuss

2007/12/20, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>:
> > If I recompile redboot with my new target, will I have network support
> > in it ? because downloading code trough the serial is very slow.
>
> It should have, when you enable networking in RedBoot.
>
>    Andrew

enable networking in RedBoot ? how to do this ?

* Re: [ECOS] Using a different network driver
@ 2007-12-20 15:38         ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-12-20 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antoine Zen-Ruffinen; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Antoine Zen-Ruffinen wrote:
> 2007/12/20, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>:
>>> If I recompile redboot with my new target, will I have network support
>>> in it ? because downloading code trough the serial is very slow.
>> It should have, when you enable networking in RedBoot.
>>
>>    Andrew
>>

> enable networking in RedBoot ? how to do this ?

Start with your current RedBoot configuration.  Then:
  # ecosconfig add eth_drivers
  # ecosconfig tree
  # make