* [ECOS] creating a new template
@ 2007-12-22 17:13 Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2007-12-22 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello!
In the collections of templates I see three Intel386 based PC ones. I
would like to create one that contains everything except networking by
means of the preselected devices.

Can anyone suggest the steps needed?

--
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude

* Re: [ECOS] creating a new template
@ 2007-12-22 17:19 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-12-22 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Levine; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Gregg Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> In the collections of templates I see three Intel386 based PC ones. I
> would like to create one that contains everything except networking by
> means of the preselected devices.
>
> Can anyone suggest the steps needed?

Firstly, you probably mean "target", not "template".
Targets are ways of instantiating a particular hardware
platform (architecture, 'motherboard', devices, etc).
Templates describe collections of software packages
and are hardware neutral.

For example, the 'pc_i82559' target describes a generic
PC which has, in particular, hardware support for the
Intel 82559 PCI ethernet controller.  If you build eCos
like this:
  % ecosconfig new pc_i82559 minimal
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make
the resulting eCos kernel will run on that PC [box], but
since the template used (minimal) does not include any
networking support packages, the fact that the target
specified the i82559 driver is irrelevant.  In fact,
you would get an identical eCos kernel from
  % ecosconfig new pc_i82544 minimal
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make

Given the way that CDL is used to enable/disable the
building of drivers, etc, the ethernet drivers in either
of these examples won't even be built.

If you don't want networking, then don't use a template
which includes network support.  If you examine the templates,
you'll see that only 'net', 'lw_ip' and 'all' include networking.
If you start with any other template, you have to explicitly
add network support, regardless of what hardware device
drivers the particular target may support.

* Re: [ECOS] creating a new template
@ 2007-12-23  4:09   ` Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2007-12-23  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Dec 22, 2007 5:59 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> Gregg Levine wrote:
> > Hello!
> > In the collections of templates I see three Intel386 based PC ones. I
> > would like to create one that contains everything except networking by
> > means of the preselected devices.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest the steps needed?
> >

> Firstly, you probably mean "target", not "template".
> Targets are ways of instantiating a particular hardware
> platform (architecture, 'motherboard', devices, etc).
> Templates describe collections of software packages
> and are hardware neutral.
>
> For example, the 'pc_i82559' target describes a generic
> PC which has, in particular, hardware support for the
> Intel 82559 PCI ethernet controller.  If you build eCos
> like this:
>   % ecosconfig new pc_i82559 minimal
>   % ecosconfig tree
>   % make
> the resulting eCos kernel will run on that PC [box], but
> since the template used (minimal) does not include any
> networking support packages, the fact that the target
> specified the i82559 driver is irrelevant.  In fact,
> you would get an identical eCos kernel from
>   % ecosconfig new pc_i82544 minimal
>   % ecosconfig tree
>   % make
>
> Given the way that CDL is used to enable/disable the
> building of drivers, etc, the ethernet drivers in either
> of these examples won't even be built.
>
> If you don't want networking, then don't use a template
> which includes network support.  If you examine the templates,
> you'll see that only 'net', 'lw_ip' and 'all' include networking.
> If you start with any other template, you have to explicitly
> add network support, regardless of what hardware device
> drivers the particular target may support.
>

> --
> Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
> MLB Associates              |    Embedded world

Hello!
I see.
My basic problem is that my test device, doesn't use the normal
methods of supplying a networking device. It uses PCMCIA cards to
supply them.

And when I instruct the basic PC one to add both PCMCIA things to it,
the first one goes in, that's for storage it seems, the second one,
for networking does not.

What I want to do is to produce a PC one, without the I82544 included
in it. Equivalent to a bare PC board that was created without the
embedded networking and perhaps even USB that was popular at the start
of the time period.
--

@ 2007-12-23  5:05     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-12-23  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Levine; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Gregg Levine wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007 5:59 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> Gregg Levine wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>> In the collections of templates I see three Intel386 based PC ones. I
>>> would like to create one that contains everything except networking by
>>> means of the preselected devices.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest the steps needed?
>>>
>> Firstly, you probably mean "target", not "template".
>> Targets are ways of instantiating a particular hardware
>> platform (architecture, 'motherboard', devices, etc).
>> Templates describe collections of software packages
>> and are hardware neutral.
>>
>> For example, the 'pc_i82559' target describes a generic
>> PC which has, in particular, hardware support for the
>> Intel 82559 PCI ethernet controller.  If you build eCos
>> like this:
>>   % ecosconfig new pc_i82559 minimal
>>   % ecosconfig tree
>>   % make
>> the resulting eCos kernel will run on that PC [box], but
>> since the template used (minimal) does not include any
>> networking support packages, the fact that the target
>> specified the i82559 driver is irrelevant.  In fact,
>> you would get an identical eCos kernel from
>>   % ecosconfig new pc_i82544 minimal
>>   % ecosconfig tree
>>   % make
>>
>> Given the way that CDL is used to enable/disable the
>> building of drivers, etc, the ethernet drivers in either
>> of these examples won't even be built.
>>
>> If you don't want networking, then don't use a template
>> which includes network support.  If you examine the templates,
>> you'll see that only 'net', 'lw_ip' and 'all' include networking.
>> If you start with any other template, you have to explicitly
>> add network support, regardless of what hardware device
>> drivers the particular target may support.
>>

> Hello!
> I see.
> My basic problem is that my test device, doesn't use the normal
> methods of supplying a networking device. It uses PCMCIA cards to
> supply them.
>
> And when I instruct the basic PC one to add both PCMCIA things to it,
> the first one goes in, that's for storage it seems, the second one,
> for networking does not.
>
> What I want to do is to produce a PC one, without the I82544 included
> in it. Equivalent to a bare PC board that was created without the
> embedded networking and perhaps even USB that was popular at the start
> of the time period.

Just create a new _target_ which has the characteristics
that you need.  Note that in general adding hardware drivers
is done in templates and not by adding additional packages
(in fact, the config tool won't even let you try!)

* Re: [ECOS] creating a new template
@ 2007-12-23  8:28       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2007-12-23  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Levine; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Gregg Levine wrote:

>>> Firstly, you probably mean "target", not "template".
>>> Targets are ways of instantiating a particular hardware
>>> platform (architecture, 'motherboard', devices, etc).
>>> Templates describe collections of software packages
>>> and are hardware neutral.
>>>
>>> For example, the 'pc_i82559' target describes a generic
>>> PC which has, in particular, hardware support for the
>>> Intel 82559 PCI ethernet controller.  If you build eCos
>>> like this:
>>>   % ecosconfig new pc_i82559 minimal
>>>   % ecosconfig tree
>>>   % make
>>> the resulting eCos kernel will run on that PC [box], but
>>> since the template used (minimal) does not include any
>>> networking support packages, the fact that the target
>>> specified the i82559 driver is irrelevant.  In fact,
>>> you would get an identical eCos kernel from
>>>   % ecosconfig new pc_i82544 minimal
>>>   % ecosconfig tree
>>>   % make
>>>
>>> Given the way that CDL is used to enable/disable the
>>> building of drivers, etc, the ethernet drivers in either
>>> of these examples won't even be built.
>>>
>>> If you don't want networking, then don't use a template
>>> which includes network support.  If you examine the templates,
>>> you'll see that only 'net', 'lw_ip' and 'all' include networking.
>>> If you start with any other template, you have to explicitly
>>> add network support, regardless of what hardware device
>>> drivers the particular target may support.
>>>
>> Hello!
>> I see.
>> My basic problem is that my test device, doesn't use the normal
>> methods of supplying a networking device. It uses PCMCIA cards to
>> supply them.
>>
>> And when I instruct the basic PC one to add both PCMCIA things to it,
>> the first one goes in, that's for storage it seems, the second one,
>> for networking does not.
>>
>> What I want to do is to produce a PC one, without the I82544 included
>> in it. Equivalent to a bare PC board that was created without the
>> embedded networking and perhaps even USB that was popular at the start
>> of the time period.
>
> Just create a new _target_ which has the characteristics
> that you need.  Note that in general adding hardware drivers
> is done in templates and not by adding additional packages
             ^^^^^^^^^
             targets    [even I had to be careful with the terms!]

@ 2007-12-23 16:07 Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2007-12-23 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello!
On the drown menu for the templates I see three for an I386 based
system, one is obviously VMWare and the next two are for the Intel
based networking. There is a fourth one there with a Realtek based
networking card.

However, I need one for the same platform, but without any networking
card plugged into it.

Can someone relate the steps necessary for creating just such a
template? Once I get it working for my project, my plans are to
contribute it back to the community. And obviously under the same
license and terms as the entire kit.