* [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-10 10:26 Aditya Vaidya
From: Aditya Vaidya @ 2008-03-10 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi all,
We would like to know the correct procedure to release GPL code for
eCos. Currently, there seems to be no consensus on this.

Thanks,
Aditya Vaidya
Associate,
Aftek Ltd.

* Re: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-10 10:36 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-03-10 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Vaidya; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 03:58:49PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:
> Hi all,
> We would like to know the correct procedure to release GPL code for
> eCos. Currently, there seems to be no consensus on this.

You need a copyright assignment with the FSF.

You need to send the information as requested at:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnulib/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future?revision=1&root=gnulib

assign@gnu.org

        Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-10 10:48   ` Aditya Vaidya
From: Aditya Vaidya @ 2008-03-10 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

So this would be the procedure to follow if we port some Linux code to
eCos, correct?

Also there was some talk about adding an option in the configtool to
allow use of GPL code. Any further word on that?

@ 2008-03-10 11:07     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-03-10 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Vaidya; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 04:20:21PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:
> So this would be the procedure to follow if we port some Linux code to
> eCos, correct?

Upps. Sorry missed the GPL part.

We cannot accept plain GPL code into the eCos repository. Is the code
only available under GPL? Some parts of the kernel is dual licensed,
eg under MIT or BSD. We might consider such code.

Could you be more specific about what code we are talking about.

> Also there was some talk about adding an option in the configtool to
> allow use of GPL code. Any further word on that?

Nope. There was talk about making a second tree for code which could
not be modified GPL, but it is just talk so far.

Sorry for the confusion,

      Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-10 11:19       ` Aditya Vaidya
From: Aditya Vaidya @ 2008-03-10 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Well, unfortunately its only licensed under GPL; no dual license for
sure. So is there any way that the community would accept such code?
Even if it's not in the repository, say if we start a sourceforge
project or something like that to keep it going?

And would there be any licensing issues for releasing such code? Is GPL
code even usable with eCos? Say I don't mind releasing all my code
including that of the application, at least the GPL code could be useful
for educational projects, if not commercial ones.

Aditya

@ 2008-03-10 11:22       ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2008-03-10 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Vaidya, ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 04:20:21PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:
>> So this would be the procedure to follow if we port some Linux code to
>> eCos, correct?
>
> Upps. Sorry missed the GPL part.
>
> We cannot accept plain GPL code into the eCos repository. Is the code
> only available under GPL? Some parts of the kernel is dual licensed,
> eg under MIT or BSD. We might consider such code.

Just to be clear, if you are not intending to contribute to the eCos
project, and just use it for yourself, then you can do so (without an
assignment or anything like that). But obviously if you do so, and you
include any GPL code, then *all* the source code of your program will need
to be made available to people you supply binaries or your product to. As
per the GPL licence.

Jifl
 **  Visit us at ESC Silicon Valley <http://www.embedded.com/esc/sv>  **
 **  April 15-17 2008, Booth 3012, San Jose McEnery Convention Center **
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine

* Re: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-10 11:30         ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2008-03-10 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Vaidya; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Aditya Vaidya wrote:
> Well, unfortunately its only licensed under GPL; no dual license for
> sure. So is there any way that the community would accept such code?

Not in our own source base currently. Even if we did consider having
contributions like that, they would have to go into a separate repository
so that people didn't accidentally use GPL stuff without realising the licence.

> Even if it's not in the repository, say if we start a sourceforge
> project or something like that to keep it going?

Sure, eCos is an open project so you are welcome to do so. We can put a
link on our website if that helps.

> And would there be any licensing issues for releasing such code? Is GPL
> code even usable with eCos? Say I don't mind releasing all my code
> including that of the application, at least the GPL code could be useful
> for educational projects, if not commercial ones.

Sure, see my other mail.

Jifl

@ 2008-03-10 11:33         ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-03-10 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Vaidya; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 04:51:40PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:
> Well, unfortunately its only licensed under GPL; no dual license for
> sure. So is there any way that the community would accept such code?
> Even if it's not in the repository, say if we start a sourceforge
> project or something like that to keep it going?

Take a look at www.ecosforge.net.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-10 12:44           ` Aditya Vaidya
From: Aditya Vaidya @ 2008-03-10 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ecos-discuss

So for this port from Linux to ecos, is the FSF copyright assignment
necessary or optional?

Right now, all we have is some "hello world" and basic test
applications. No real world stuff. So no issues with releasing those either.

Just one more thing. Should we make this ported code into a separate
library that can be linked when making the final binary, or add it to
libtarget.a?

Aditya

@ 2008-03-10 12:58             ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-03-10 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Vaidya; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 06:16:34PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:
> So for this port from Linux to ecos, is the FSF copyright assignment
> necessary or optional?

It is not even possible. You don't own the code so you cannot assign
it to FSF.

> Right now, all we have is some "hello world" and basic test
> applications. No real world stuff. So no issues with releasing those
> either.
>
> Just one more thing. Should we make this ported code into a separate
> library that can be linked when making the final binary, or add it to
> libtarget.a?

I would make it an eCos package. ecosconfig will work with multiple
repositories. So if somebody wants to use the packet, they just need
to download your package from where ever and then set ECOS_REPOSITORY
appropriately.

The important thing here is that the code is stored somewhere separate
with a big fat warning it is GPL, not mod GPL.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-10 13:08               ` Aditya Vaidya
From: Aditya Vaidya @ 2008-03-10 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 06:16:34PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:
>
>> So for this port from Linux to ecos, is the FSF copyright assignment
>> necessary or optional?
>>

> It is not even possible. You don't own the code so you cannot assign
> it to FSF.

So the copyright assignment would only come into the picture for new
code. That clears things up a lot. Thanks.

There are also a couple of files that have been taken from eCos and
modified. Since these files would also need to be released under GPL,
should the eCos license at the top of the file be removed and the GPL be
inserted instead? Or should we include both?

>> Right now, all we have is some "hello world" and basic test
>> applications. No real world stuff. So no issues with releasing those
>> either.
>>
>> Just one more thing. Should we make this ported code into a separate
>> library that can be linked when making the final binary, or add it to
>> libtarget.a?
>>

> I would make it an eCos package. ecosconfig will work with multiple
> repositories. So if somebody wants to use the packet, they just need
> to download your package from where ever and then set ECOS_REPOSITORY
> appropriately.
>
> The important thing here is that the code is stored somewhere separate
> with a big fat warning it is GPL, not mod GPL.
>      Andrew

I'm guessing that an ecosforge/ sourceforge page would be what we are
looking for. We would probably need to add something on the home page
specifying that it is GPL code. Plus the files would carry the license
as well. Would that be enough?

* Re: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-10 13:23                 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-03-10 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Vaidya; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> So the copyright assignment would only come into the picture for new
> code.

Correct. You could assign your modification, which you have copyright
to, but without the rest of the code they are probably useless.

> There are also a couple of files that have been taken from eCos and
> modified. Since these files would also need to be released under GPL,
> should the eCos license at the top of the file be removed and the GPL be
> inserted instead? Or should we include both?

Since you don't own the eCos code, you are not allowed to take the
license off.

You can distribute code with different licenses on different files. So
it is O.K. to have some files with eCos mod GPL and others with
GPL.

If the code you added to standard eCos files was all your own code,
you can keep just the eCos mod GPL license on these files, assuming
you wish to license your modifications under the eCos mod GPL license.

If the modifications use GPL code, you should add the GPL header as
well as the eCos mod GPL header.

> I'm guessing that an ecosforge/ sourceforge page would be what we are
> looking for. We would probably need to add something on the home page
> specifying that it is GPL code. Plus the files would carry the license
> as well. Would that be enough?

Yes, that is good.

     Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-10 13:42                   ` Aditya Vaidya
From: Aditya Vaidya @ 2008-03-10 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> So the copyright assignment would only come into the picture for new
>> code.
>>

> Correct. You could assign your modification, which you have copyright
> to, but without the rest of the code they are probably useless.

Agreed. So how would that part of the code need to be licensed to allow
public use. The modified code is all in the same file as the eCos code,
so does it automatically come under the eCos license? Is no assignment
necessary for the mod GPL?

@ 2008-03-10 13:55                     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2008-03-10 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Vaidya; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 07:14:06PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:

> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> So the copyright assignment would only come into the picture for new
>>> code.
>>
>> Correct. You could assign your modification, which you have copyright
>> to, but without the rest of the code they are probably useless.
>>
> Agreed. So how would that part of the code need to be licensed to allow
> public use. The modified code is all in the same file as the eCos code,
> so does it automatically come under the eCos license? Is no assignment
> necessary for the mod GPL?

I think you don't understand what an assignment is and why we do it.

An assignment gives the ownership of the code to somebody else. For
eCos this is the FSF. By giving the code to the FSF we gain some legal
protection. If company X claims to own some code in eCos it could
start ask for royalties, licensing deals etc. The FSF won't do this,
so code assigned to the FSF makes it safe for others to use knowing
they will never have to pay a license fee etc.

To make the code publically available does not need an assignment.

To make your code available to the public all you need to do is
license your code such that the public can use it. eCos uses a mod GPL
license. The MIT or the BSD license is used by other people. You could
just make a public statement your code is released to the public
domain.

If the mod GPL is O.K. for you, you don't need to do anything since
that license header is already there. I guess you will also be adding
a GPL header to cover the GPL code. So if you want your modifications
to be covered by GPL, then again you don't need to do anything.

   Andrew

* RE: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-11  6:34                       ` Aditya Vaidya
From: Aditya Vaidya @ 2008-03-11  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 07:14:06PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:

> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> So the copyright assignment would only come into the picture for new
>>> code.
>>
>> Correct. You could assign your modification, which you have copyright
>> to, but without the rest of the code they are probably useless.
>>
> Agreed. So how would that part of the code need to be licensed to allow
> public use. The modified code is all in the same file as the eCos code,
> so does it automatically come under the eCos license? Is no assignment
> necessary for the mod GPL?

I think you don't understand what an assignment is and why we do it.

An assignment gives the ownership of the code to somebody else. For
eCos this is the FSF. By giving the code to the FSF we gain some legal
protection. If company X claims to own some code in eCos it could
start ask for royalties, licensing deals etc. The FSF won't do this,
so code assigned to the FSF makes it safe for others to use knowing
they will never have to pay a license fee etc.

To make the code publically available does not need an assignment.

To make your code available to the public all you need to do is
license your code such that the public can use it. eCos uses a mod GPL
license. The MIT or the BSD license is used by other people. You could
just make a public statement your code is released to the public
domain.

If the mod GPL is O.K. for you, you don't need to do anything since
that license header is already there. I guess you will also be adding
a GPL header to cover the GPL code. So if you want your modifications
to be covered by GPL, then again you don't need to do anything.

So in such a case, where I keep the existing headers, will my modifications
automatically be licensed under the GPL or mod GPL as the case may be?
Because that is what I would like.

   Andrew

* Re: [ECOS] Procedure to release GPL code for eCos
@ 2008-03-11 17:04                   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2008-03-11 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Vaidya, ecos-discuss

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Aditya Vaidya wrote:
>> There are also a couple of files that have been taken from eCos and
>> modified. Since these files would also need to be released under GPL,
>> should the eCos license at the top of the file be removed and the GPL be
>> inserted instead? Or should we include both?
>
> Since you don't own the eCos code, you are not allowed to take the
> license off.
>
> You can distribute code with different licenses on different files. So
> it is O.K. to have some files with eCos mod GPL and others with
> GPL.

But to clarify what I think Aditya was asking, you can remove the
"exception" part of the licence in eCos-licensed files so that they become
fully GPL'd. What Andrew's saying you mustn't do is remove the whole
licence banner.

That is de facto what happens when you link eCos code with fully GPL'd code
- the eCos code loses its exception.

It's up to you (Aditya) whether you want to remove the exception or not.
You are not required to, just because you are linking with GPL'd code.