* [ECOS] Problem executing anything on IXP425 based board, redboot is the   bootloader
@ 2009-08-19 18:37 Ajit Mittal
From: Ajit Mittal @ 2009-08-19 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Ihave a board with total RAM of 32 MB, 2 chips of 16  MB each. It has
8 MB flash.
It has redboot bootloader and platform is IXP425 processor

Booting is fine. I am able to load the program fine to memory but
executing gives me an error grabage output on serial output after
executing go or exec command like this
"$T050f:01000000;0d:01fc0fec;#d6". I think memory/interrupt of
the board is bad. How to test RAM.

If suppose RAM is bad. Is it possible to modify redboot and burn it again and
then use only 16MB RAM.If yes how to do that or how to troubleshoot.

Thanks

* Re: [ECOS] Problem executing anything on IXP425 based board, redboot  is the   bootloader
@ 2009-08-19 18:53 ` Gary Thomas
       [not found]   ` <dfa7268c0908191313va4327d5t8c7b08f9e4200d1a@mail.gmail.com>
From: Gary Thomas @ 2009-08-19 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajit Mittal; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Ajit Mittal wrote:
> Ihave a board with total RAM of 32 MB, 2 chips of 16  MB each. It has
> 8 MB flash.
> It has redboot bootloader and platform is IXP425 processor
>
> Booting is fine. I am able to load the program fine to memory but
> executing gives me an error grabage output on serial output after
> executing go or exec command like this
> "$T050f:01000000;0d:01fc0fec;#d6". I think memory/interrupt of
> the board is bad. How to test RAM.

This is not garbage; it's RedBoot telling you that there is
a problem executing the code.  This is a GDB protocol string.
You could try connecting via GDB to find out why (search the archives)

> If suppose RAM is bad. Is it possible to modify redboot and burn it again and
> then use only 16MB RAM.If yes how to do that or how to troubleshoot.

More importantly, tell us how you configured eCos to build
this program.  What steps did you use to load & execute it
(the actual RedBoot commands and the output when you run them).

Without this level of detail, we'd just be guessing...

@ 2009-08-19 21:58     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2009-08-19 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ajit Mittal; +Cc: eCos Discussion

Ajit Mittal wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your help.

Please keep replies on the eCos mailing list so that all may benefit.
Private support is available with a support contract only.

> I have 2 same boards. both running same bootloader. On one openwrt
> linux is running fine.
> I created the redboot using intel from this link
>
> http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/npfamily/download_ixp400.htm
>
> Instructions are clear and I know redboot build system like I use
> ecosconfig to build the environment for my baord and then use make
> utility for building it, but not expert in changing files.
>
> I load it through the ethernet and access it through serial consle. I
> have tried GDB but don't know how to troubleshoot it.
>
> Thanks again for helping me.

You've still not provided the info about how you configured your program.
Be specific - prose is inconcise and error prone.

Also, what are the *exact* commands you typed to RedBoot?