* [ECOS] i386 flopy load problem.
@ 2000-11-16  9:13 Leandro Vieira
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Leandro Vieira @ 2000-11-16  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss-owner@sources.redhat.com

Hi,

The current code for loading from the floppy won't work in many case. It
will be subject to what i call the "buffer cross 64k boundary problem": The
bios function can't handle a buffer that cross a 64k boundary (This is also
refered as "DMA access across 64k boundary" in some docs)

The current code load track by track, and so there is a good chance to cross
a 64K boundary during a track load, if the image size is big enough.

The only way to avoid the problem is to load one sector at a time, and to
align _start on 512 bytes. This is slower but who cares?

Attached is a patch against platform.S

Regards,

--
Fabrice Gautier
fabrice_gautier@sdesigns.com

* [ECOS] VIRUS WARNING?? .. Re: [ECOS] i386 flopy load problem.
@ 2000-11-16  9:25 ` Christian Plessl
From: Christian Plessl @ 2000-11-16  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss-owner@sources.redhat.com

Hi everyone..

VIRUS?

My virus checker alerts my, when parsing the attachments so this email..
It claims to have found the navidad 32 virus. So watch out!!! Hopefully its
just a false alarm.

Chris

At 15:09 16.11.00 +0000, Leandro Vieira wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The current code for loading from the floppy won't work in many case. It
>will be subject to what i call the "buffer cross 64k boundary problem": The
>bios function can't handle a buffer that cross a 64k boundary (This is also
>refered as "DMA access across 64k boundary" in some docs)
>
>The current code load track by track, and so there is a good chance to cross
>a 64K boundary during a track load, if the image size is big enough.
>
>The only way to avoid the problem is to load one sector at a time, and to
>align _start on 512 bytes. This is slower but who cares?
>
>Attached is a patch against platform.S
>
>Regards,
>
>--
>Fabrice Gautier
>fabrice_gautier@sdesigns.com

--
Christian Plessl <cplessl@ee.ethz.ch>

* Re: [ECOS] i386 flopy load problem.
@ 2000-11-16  9:29 ` Robert Swindells
From: Robert Swindells @ 2000-11-16  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leandro; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>Sorry, in my  previous message I forgot to attach the error.

No, you attached the same virus that you sent in the first message.

* Re: [ECOS] i386 flopy load problem.
@ 2000-11-16 13:18 ` Robert Swindells
From: Robert Swindells @ 2000-11-16 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leandro; +Cc: ecos-discuss

>>Sorry, in my  previous message I forgot to attach the error.

>No, you attached the same virus that you sent in the first message.

On looking at the header again, maybe it wasn't you that sent it.