* [ECOS] eCos booting problem
@ 2002-11-05 19:19 Amit Chaudhary
From: Amit Chaudhary @ 2002-11-05 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi

I am trying to boot eCos as stand alone on i386 pc target.

I compiled source of eCos for RAM STARTUP and then complied my simple

hello world program hello.c given below:

 main()

 {

 printf("Hello eCos World!\n");

 return 0;

 }

 The output generated was a.out in ELF format.

 I was using one kind of Boot Loader which can load ELF file & execute

 it. but pc is not booting , everytime my pc got restarted.

 Tell me how can I boot eCos kernel and what kind of loaders i have to

 use. I want to build a image of kernel which can be booted stand alone

 on pc target.

 Thanks and Regds,

 Amit

[-- Attachment #2: Wipro_Disclaimer.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 523 bytes --]

**************************Disclaimer**************************************************

 Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited is 'privileged'
and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. You are notified that any use, copying or dissemination of the information
contained in the E-MAIL in any manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

* Re: [ECOS] eCos booting problem
@ 2002-11-06 20:45 Iztok Zupet
From: Iztok Zupet @ 2002-11-06 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Chaudhary, ecos-discuss

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 04:19, Amit Chaudhary wrote:
>  The output generated was a.out in ELF format.
>
>  I was using one kind of Boot Loader which can load ELF file & execute
>
>  it. but pc is not booting , everytime my pc got restarted.
>

>  Tell me how can I boot eCos kernel and what kind of loaders i have to
>
>  use. I want to build a image of kernel which can be booted stand alone
>
>  on pc target.

Your boot loader should switch to protected mode just like the the eCos or
RedBoot for the PC does, that is the GDT and IDT and segment registers must be
setup the same way. Then it should jump to 0x108000.

Iztok