* [ECOS] eCos problem: if_lancepci.c does not compile for i386 (vmWare)
@ 2009-08-24  8:12 Waskita Adijarto
From: Waskita Adijarto @ 2009-08-24  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I've just found problem compiling if_lancepci.c under eCos. After
googling , I found similar problem in the archive here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org/msg09854.html.
I used similar new gnutools
(ecoscentric-gnutools-i386-elf-20081107-sw.cygwin.tar.bz2)
I experienced this problem while compiling eCos 3.0 and 1.0.8 (from
gaisler) in cygwin

Tool chain version:

    $ i386-elf-gcc -v
    Using built-in specs.
    Target: i386-elf
    Configured with: /gnutools/src/toolchains/gcc/gcc-4.3.2/configure -v --target=i386-elf --prefix=/gnutools/builds/toolchains/i386-elf/tools --with-newlib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-__cxa_atexit --enable-threads --with-bugurl=http://bugs.ecos.sourceware.org/ --with-pkgversion='eCosCentric GNU tools 4.3.2-sw'
    Thread model: single
    gcc version 4.3.2 (eCosCentric GNU tools 4.3.2-sw)

My solution: use old gnutools
(ecoscentric-gnutools-i386-elf-1.4-2.cygwin.tar.bz2) . The problem goes
away.

tool chain version:

    $ i386-elf-gcc -v

    Reading specs from /opt/gnutools/i386-elf/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i386-elf/3.2.1/specs

    Configured with: /local/demonweb/tools/ecos-gnutools-v1.4/r2/i386-elf/cygwin/tar_bz2/source/gcc-3.2.1/configure --target=i386-elf --prefix=/local/demonweb/tools/ecos-gnutools-v1.4/r2/i386-elf/cygwin/tar_bz2/opt/ecos/gnutools/i386-elf --enable-languages=c,c++ --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib --with-gxx-include-dir=/local/demonweb/tools/ecos-gnutools-v1.4/r2/i386-elf/cygwin/tar_bz2/opt/ecos/gnutools/i386-elf/i386-elf/include
    Thread model: single

    gcc version 3.2.1

I wonder why gcc 4.3.2 behave so different than 3.2.1

-waskita-

* [ECOS] Ethernet controllers..
@ 2009-08-24 11:36 ` Jim Bradleigh
From: Jim Bradleigh @ 2009-08-24 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,

Thought I would throw this out to the list to see if anyone can help...

As everyone know's eCos supports a limited device driver list for each platform, I`m currently running on i386 which limits me to a real-tek and two Intel chipsets...

Where do most of you purchase network controllers from? I can`t find any network cards which say they contain the Intel i82544 chipset.. It would be nice to start my project with a defined hardware spec that I know I can purchase..

One other question, does anyone know if a network card with the Marvell 88E1111 chipset exists?

Thanks,

Jim

* [ECOS] Re: Ethernet controllers..
@ 2009-08-24 12:35   ` John Dallaway
From: John Dallaway @ 2009-08-24 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Bradleigh; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Jim

Jim Bradleigh wrote:

> Thought I would throw this out to the list to see if anyone can help...
>
> As everyone know's eCos supports a limited device driver list for each
> platform, I`m currently running on i386 which limits me to a real-tek
> and two Intel chipsets...
>
> Where do most of you purchase network controllers from?

The easiest route is probably a D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI card which uses
the RTL8139 part and can be found via Amazon in the UK.

> I can`t find
> any network cards which say they contain the Intel i82544 chipset.. It
> would be nice to start my project with a defined hardware spec that I
> know I can purchase..

The i82544 featured on the Intel Pro/1000 ethernet card which appears to
have been replaced by the Pro/1000 GT card:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/adapters/pro1000gt/pro1000gt-overview.htm

The newer card uses the i82541 part which may or may not be compatible.

> One other question, does anyone know if a network card with the Marvell
> 88E1111 chipset exists?

The 88E1111 is an ethernet PHY (transceiver), not a controller.

I hope this helps.

John Dallaway

* Re: [ECOS] Re: Ethernet controllers..
@ 2009-08-24 15:23     ` Jim Bradleigh
From: Jim Bradleigh @ 2009-08-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Dallaway; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi John,

Thanks for the update, I`m currently using RTL8139 based cards but my project requires alot of performance from the network elements and eventually Gigabit Ethernet..

In this reguard I`ll have to look into Intel cards sooner or later, can anyone tell me why the Intel 82544 driver uses the function "udelay" alot - I`m concerned that the udelay is a hardware delay which will prevent threads (or other 82544 cards in the system) from running.

Jim

@ 2009-08-24 15:33       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2009-08-24 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Bradleigh; +Cc: John Dallaway, ecos-discuss

Jim Bradleigh wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the update, I`m currently using RTL8139 based cards but my project requires alot of performance from the network elements and eventually Gigabit Ethernet..
>
> In this reguard I`ll have to look into Intel cards sooner or later, can anyone tell me why the Intel 82544 driver uses the function "udelay" alot - I`m concerned that the udelay is a hardware delay which will prevent threads (or other 82544 cards in the system) from running.

None of the uses of udelay are in the main processing path - only
during initialization.

@ 2009-08-24 15:59         ` Jim Bradleigh
From: Jim Bradleigh @ 2009-08-24 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: John Dallaway, ecos-discuss

Hi Gary,

If bring up the network cards using my own processes (as I currently do with a "custom" RTK 8139 driver) how would I go about replacing the udelay's with a more thread friendly process? Just a matter of "cyg_thread_delay" instead?

As previous described I only use eth0 with the FreeBSD stack, the other two ethernet ports are spoke to directly by my application and I just want to avoid any pitfall early on when I have to brief the powers that be in my work...

Thanks,

Jim

> Thanks for the update, I`m currently using RTL8139 based cards but my project requires alot of performance from the network elements and eventually Gigabit Ethernet..
>
> In this reguard I`ll have to look into Intel cards sooner or later, can anyone tell me why the Intel 82544 driver uses the function "udelay" alot - I`m concerned that the udelay is a hardware delay which will prevent threads (or other 82544 cards in the system) from running.

None of the uses of udelay are in the main processing path - only
during initialization.

* Re: [ECOS] Ethernet controllers..
@ 2010-01-13 23:20   ` David Brennan
From: David Brennan @ 2010-01-13 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Bradleigh; +Cc: ecos-discuss

I think you will run into this
(http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2004-11/msg00191.html) if you
attempt to instantiate two different Ethernet drivers based on the
eCos code. I never did need to actually do anything with this, so I
don't have any code to share. Of course since you plan on modifying
one of the drivers, you can modify the relevant parts of that as well.

Good luck.
David

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Jim Bradleigh
<jim.bradleigh1@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I`ve a question regarding Ethernet controllers.
>
> My platform is a i386 with 3 ethernet PCI controllers (but before you turn off, its more eCos related than platform). eCos only knows about the first controller, the other 2 use 'custom' drivers (copies of the original eCos ethernet driver but with a different interface for raw read/writes)
>
> Is there any problem with using a different controllers? Say the main controller (eCos owned and operated) being a realtek card, whilst the other 2 being Intel based?
>
> My concern is that there might be some PCI problems as I`ve read that u can`t mix drivers due to some PCI issues (but I think this might not affect me as eCos think's there's only one ethernet controller, the realtek card)
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim
>
> --

* [ECOS] Ethernet controllers..