* [ECOS] Adding VIA RHINE driver to i386 platform
       [not found] <7de07eff05051805267e5f9d7@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-05-19  9:21 ` Sriramkumar Raju
From: Sriramkumar Raju @ 2005-05-19  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

hi,
     I am trying to add VIA RHINE ether net driver to i386 platform.

I did it following way.

I made the following entry in ecos.db.

target PC {
        alias        { "i386 PC target" }
    packages        { CYGPKG_HAL_I386
                          CYGPKG_HAL_I386_GENERIC
                          CYGPKG_HAL_I386_PC
                          CYGPKG_HAL_I386_PCMB
              CYGPKG_IO_PCI
                          CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_GENERIC_16X5X
                      CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_I386_PC
                CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_VIA_RHINE

        }
        description "
            The PC target provides the
            packages needed to run eCos binaries on a standard i386
            PC motherboard."
}

then in command line i did the following.
$./ecosconfig.exe new pc redboot
$./ecosconfig.exe import ./hal/i386/pc/current/misc/redboot_FLOPPY.ecm
$./ecosconfig.exe tree
$ make

The build is successful and REDBOOT boots up with a message NO Network
Interface found.

Also when i open the ecos.ecc that is generated  in GUI based config
tool i can see VIA RHINE support  not enabled.

when i execute "$./ecosconfig.exe add CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_VIA_RHINE" it
prompts me that the package is already present.

Can anyone tell Me what i should do to add VIA RHINE support to i386 platform.

Regards,
Sriram.R

* Re: [ECOS] Adding VIA RHINE driver to i386 platform
@ 2005-05-19 12:24   ` Nick Garnett
From: Nick Garnett @ 2005-05-19 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sriramkumar Raju; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Sriramkumar Raju <rsriramkumar@gmail.com> writes:

> The build is successful and REDBOOT boots up with a message NO Network
> Interface found.
>
> Also when i open the ecos.ecc that is generated  in GUI based config
> tool i can see VIA RHINE support  not enabled.
>
> when i execute "$./ecosconfig.exe add CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_VIA_RHINE" it
> prompts me that the package is already present.
>
> Can anyone tell Me what i should do to add VIA RHINE support to i386 platform.

In addition to the CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_VIA_RHINE package you also need to
have a package that adapts the generic driver to the specific
hardware. Take a look at any of the other PC targets to see how this
works. Also take a look at the documentation.

The RHINE ethernet driver appears to have only ever been used for the
sh7729pci board, so you may have to do a bit of work in the RHINE
driver. You should be able to create the new package you need by
combining one of the exising PC package with the sh7729pci package.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts

* Re: [ECOS] Adding VIA RHINE driver to i386 platform
@ 2005-05-19 14:11     ` Sriramkumar Raju
From: Sriramkumar Raju @ 2005-05-19 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi Nick,
        Do me mean that i have add Platform specific device
configurations for VIA RHINE on i386.

Regards,
Sriram.R

@ 2005-05-19 14:15     ` Sriramkumar Raju
From: Sriramkumar Raju @ 2005-05-19 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Garnett; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Nick,
       Do me mean that i have to add Platform specific device

@ 2005-05-19 14:43       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2005-05-19 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sriramkumar Raju; +Cc: eCos Discussion

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 17:53 +0530, Sriramkumar Raju wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>        Do me mean that i have to add Platform specific device
> configurations for VIA RHINE on i386.

Exactly.  Most drivers are divided into a generic portion (the part
that understands the actual device and the work the driver needs to
accomplish) plus a target/platform specific portion (which describes
how the device is configured, addresses, interrupts, and such).
Depending on the driver, the platform specific portion may come in
the form of an include file or a driver wrapper.  These details are
described by the CDL for the driver.

Look at other platforms which use the RHINE ethernet driver to see
what needs to be done.

@ 2005-05-25 12:12       ` Sriramkumar Raju
From: Sriramkumar Raju @ 2005-05-25 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi,
     I had booted the i386  platform with RedBoot + VIA Rhine Ethernet.
Now while booting i am getting the following message.

Ethernet eth0: MAC address 44:ec:00:00:94:eb
Can't get BOOTP info for device!

RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [FLOPPY]
Non-certified release, version UNKNOWN - built 17:29:41, May 24 2005

Platform: PC (I386)
Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.

RAM: 0x00000000-0x000a0000, 0x000897b0-0x000a0000 available
RedBoot>

The MAC address that is being displayed is different from my board MAC address.

What i missed while porting the VIA Rhine driver to i386 platform?

Why  i am unable to get the MAC address that is in VIA RHINE controller?

Regards,
Sriram.R